V600 newbie questions

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
July 27, 2004 5:08:03 AM

Hi Everyone,
Just got a new V600 a couple of days ago, my 1st
Motorola and have a couple of questions for all you knowledgable people out
there. Hopefully there will be some answers

1. Is there a way to lock/disable the external keys on the left side of the
phone so that the ringer 'style' cannot be accidentally altered while in a
pocket or carry case?

2. Is there a way to alter the time that the backlight on the external LCD
display stays on after closing the main cover?

3. Is there a way to have the incomming caller's name/number scroll across
the external screen? All I get at the moment is part of the name.

4. When connected to my Jabra200 BT headset and get an incomming call the
phone sounds a 'ring ring' sounding tone instead of the ringtone I have
selected for normal use?

That's about all that's puzzling me at the moment, but I am sure I will find
more stuff not explained in the manual.

Thanks in advance for any help received.

Cheers,

Remove 'nospam' to reply

More about : v600 newbie questions

July 27, 2004 5:42:25 AM

1. Unfortunately no.
2. The display backlight timeout in the Menu/Settings will allow you to
change the backlight timer.
3. No the scrolling doesn't happen. Just shows part of the name that will
fit.
4. BT link is very limited. I think it has a top data rate of only about
14kb. So cool ringtones need 64kb or better so the link is what is limited.
Between the headset and phone that is.

--
Steve
"M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> Just got a new V600 a couple of days ago, my 1st
> Motorola and have a couple of questions for all you knowledgable people
out
> there. Hopefully there will be some answers
>
> 1. Is there a way to lock/disable the external keys on the left side of
the
> phone so that the ringer 'style' cannot be accidentally altered while in a
> pocket or carry case?
>
> 2. Is there a way to alter the time that the backlight on the external LCD
> display stays on after closing the main cover?
>
> 3. Is there a way to have the incomming caller's name/number scroll across
> the external screen? All I get at the moment is part of the name.
>
> 4. When connected to my Jabra200 BT headset and get an incomming call the
> phone sounds a 'ring ring' sounding tone instead of the ringtone I have
> selected for normal use?
>
> That's about all that's puzzling me at the moment, but I am sure I will
find
> more stuff not explained in the manual.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help received.
>
> Cheers,

> Remove 'nospam' to reply

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:42:56 PM

Hi,
Many thanks for the info. The display backlight time setting appears
only to affect the main screen/keypad and not the external screen?
Would have been nice if the name could have scrolled across the
screen...*sigh*

Thanks anyway...much appreciated.

Cheers,

Remove 'nospan' to reply

"Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote in message
> 1. Unfortunately no.
> 2. The display backlight timeout in the Menu/Settings will allow you to
> change the backlight timer.
> 3. No the scrolling doesn't happen. Just shows part of the name that will
> fit.
> 4. BT link is very limited. I think it has a top data rate of only about
> 14kb. So cool ringtones need 64kb or better so the link is what is
limited.
> Between the headset and phone that is.
>

> --
> Steve
> "M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Everyone,
> > Just got a new V600 a couple of days ago, my 1st
> > Motorola and have a couple of questions for all you knowledgable people
> out
> > there. Hopefully there will be some answers
> >
> > 1. Is there a way to lock/disable the external keys on the left side of
> the
> > phone so that the ringer 'style' cannot be accidentally altered while in
> > pocket or carry case?
> >
> > 2. Is there a way to alter the time that the backlight on the external
LCD
> > display stays on after closing the main cover?
> >
> > 3. Is there a way to have the incomming caller's name/number scroll
across
> > the external screen? All I get at the moment is part of the name.
> >
> > 4. When connected to my Jabra200 BT headset and get an incomming call
the
> > phone sounds a 'ring ring' sounding tone instead of the ringtone I have
> > selected for normal use?
> >
> > That's about all that's puzzling me at the moment, but I am sure I will
> find
> > more stuff not explained in the manual.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help received.
> >
> > Cheers,

> > Remove 'nospam' to reply

July 27, 2004 6:53:40 PM

> > 4. BT link is very limited. I think it has a top data rate of only
about
> > 14kb. So cool ringtones need 64kb or better so the link is what is
> limited.

If that is true, why can it transmit voice? I would think that midi
ringtones would be very easy to transmit. I would love to know who is
calling without looking at the phone. Come to think of it, if you power
down the phone with the BT headset on, you can hear the power down tones.

> Hi,
> Many thanks for the info. The display backlight time setting appears
> only to affect the main screen/keypad and not the external screen?
> Would have been nice if the name could have scrolled across the
> screen...*sigh*
>
> Thanks anyway...much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,

> Remove 'nospan' to reply
>

> "Steve" <nr4p@NOJUNKearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > 1. Unfortunately no.
> > 2. The display backlight timeout in the Menu/Settings will allow you to
> > change the backlight timer.
> > 3. No the scrolling doesn't happen. Just shows part of the name that
will
> > fit.
> > 4. BT link is very limited. I think it has a top data rate of only
about
> > 14kb. So cool ringtones need 64kb or better so the link is what is
> limited.
> > Between the headset and phone that is.
> >

> > --
> > Steve
> > "M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > > Just got a new V600 a couple of days ago, my 1st
> > > Motorola and have a couple of questions for all you knowledgable
people
> > out
> > > there. Hopefully there will be some answers
> > >
> > > 1. Is there a way to lock/disable the external keys on the left side
of
> > the
> > > phone so that the ringer 'style' cannot be accidentally altered while
in
> > > pocket or carry case?
> > >
> > > 2. Is there a way to alter the time that the backlight on the external
> LCD
> > > display stays on after closing the main cover?
> > >
> > > 3. Is there a way to have the incomming caller's name/number scroll
> across
> > > the external screen? All I get at the moment is part of the name.
> > >
> > > 4. When connected to my Jabra200 BT headset and get an incomming call
> the
> > > phone sounds a 'ring ring' sounding tone instead of the ringtone I
have
> > > selected for normal use?
> > >
> > > That's about all that's puzzling me at the moment, but I am sure I
will
> > find
> > > more stuff not explained in the manual.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help received.
> > >
> > > Cheers,

> > > Remove 'nospam' to reply

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 1:46:44 AM

Point 1 -locking left external keys
can be sort of achieved by putting a password (via security menu) on the
option to change ring style.

then if you accidentally press the button in pocket the phone will prompt
for a password.

HTH

Kevin

for info - lots of tips and advice on www.howardforums.com choose the
motorola section

"M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> Just got a new V600 a couple of days ago, my 1st
> Motorola and have a couple of questions for all you knowledgable people
out
> there. Hopefully there will be some answers
>
> 1. Is there a way to lock/disable the external keys on the left side of
the
> phone so that the ringer 'style' cannot be accidentally altered while in a
> pocket or carry case?
>
> 2. Is there a way to alter the time that the backlight on the external LCD
> display stays on after closing the main cover?
>
> 3. Is there a way to have the incomming caller's name/number scroll across
> the external screen? All I get at the moment is part of the name.
>
> 4. When connected to my Jabra200 BT headset and get an incomming call the
> phone sounds a 'ring ring' sounding tone instead of the ringtone I have
> selected for normal use?
>
> That's about all that's puzzling me at the moment, but I am sure I will
find
> more stuff not explained in the manual.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help received.
>
> Cheers,

> Remove 'nospam' to reply

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:27:32 AM

Hi,
Ok, but by the time you have heard the ringer, got the phone out,
entered a password the caller will have either got pissed off or gone to
voicemail

Will look at the forum in the meantime as well as keeping my Nokia 6310i
alive....more logical!!

Cheers and thanks to all!!!

"Kevin" <nomail@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Point 1 -locking left external keys
> can be sort of achieved by putting a password (via security menu) on the
> option to change ring style.
>
> then if you accidentally press the button in pocket the phone will prompt
> for a password.
>
> HTH
>
> Kevin
>
> for info - lots of tips and advice on www.howardforums.com choose the
> motorola section
>

> "M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Everyone,
> > Just got a new V600 a couple of days ago, my 1st
> > Motorola and have a couple of questions for all you knowledgable people
> out
> > there. Hopefully there will be some answers
> >
> > 1. Is there a way to lock/disable the external keys on the left side of
> the
> > phone so that the ringer 'style' cannot be accidentally altered while in
> > pocket or carry case?
> >
> > 2. Is there a way to alter the time that the backlight on the external
LCD
> > display stays on after closing the main cover?
> >
> > 3. Is there a way to have the incomming caller's name/number scroll
across
> > the external screen? All I get at the moment is part of the name.
> >
> > 4. When connected to my Jabra200 BT headset and get an incomming call
the
> > phone sounds a 'ring ring' sounding tone instead of the ringtone I have
> > selected for normal use?
> >
> > That's about all that's puzzling me at the moment, but I am sure I will
> find
> > more stuff not explained in the manual.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help received.
> >
> > Cheers,

> > Remove 'nospam' to reply

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 11:25:02 AM

Wrong password. I didn't mean the phone lock password. The v600 lets you
put passwords on a whole range of individual menu options. Simply put a
password on the option that controlls changing the ringtone (sorry can't
rememember exactly which one and don't have my phone with me to check). It
won't affect the answerability.

Kev

> Hi,
> Ok, but by the time you have heard the ringer, got the phone out,
> entered a password the caller will have either got pissed off or gone to
> voicemail
>
> Will look at the forum in the meantime as well as keeping my Nokia 6310i
> alive....more logical!!
>
> Cheers and thanks to all!!!

> "Kevin" <nomail@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > Point 1 -locking left external keys
> > can be sort of achieved by putting a password (via security menu) on the
> > option to change ring style.
> >
> > then if you accidentally press the button in pocket the phone will
prompt
> > for a password.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > for info - lots of tips and advice on www.howardforums.com choose the
> > motorola section
> >

> > "M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > > Just got a new V600 a couple of days ago, my 1st
> > > Motorola and have a couple of questions for all you knowledgable
people
> > out
> > > there. Hopefully there will be some answers
> > >
> > > 1. Is there a way to lock/disable the external keys on the left side
of
> > the
> > > phone so that the ringer 'style' cannot be accidentally altered while
in
> > > pocket or carry case?
> > >
> > > 2. Is there a way to alter the time that the backlight on the external
> LCD
> > > display stays on after closing the main cover?
> > >
> > > 3. Is there a way to have the incomming caller's name/number scroll
> across
> > > the external screen? All I get at the moment is part of the name.
> > >
> > > 4. When connected to my Jabra200 BT headset and get an incomming call
> the
> > > phone sounds a 'ring ring' sounding tone instead of the ringtone I
have
> > > selected for normal use?
> > >
> > > That's about all that's puzzling me at the moment, but I am sure I
will
> > find
> > > more stuff not explained in the manual.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for any help received.
> > >
> > > Cheers,

> > > Remove 'nospam' to reply

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 6:09:28 PM

Ok Thanks. Will try that. What is the default security code as I can't find
it anywhere and 0000 doesn't seem to work?

Cheers,

> Wrong password. I didn't mean the phone lock password. The v600 lets you
> put passwords on a whole range of individual menu options. Simply put a
> password on the option that controlls changing the ringtone (sorry can't
> rememember exactly which one and don't have my phone with me to check).
It
> won't affect the answerability.
>
> Kev
>

> "M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Ok, but by the time you have heard the ringer, got the phone out,
> > entered a password the caller will have either got pissed off or gone
> > voicemail
> >
> > Will look at the forum in the meantime as well as keeping my Nokia 6310i
> > alive....more logical!!
> >
> > Cheers and thanks to all!!!

> > "Kevin" <nomail@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > > Point 1 -locking left external keys
> > > can be sort of achieved by putting a password (via security menu) on
the
> > > option to change ring style.
> > >
> > > then if you accidentally press the button in pocket the phone will
> prompt
> > > for a password.
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Kevin
> > >
> > > for info - lots of tips and advice on www.howardforums.com choose the
> > > motorola section
> > >

> > > "M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> people
> > > out

> of
> > > the
> in

> > LCD

> > across

> > the
> have

> will
> > > find

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 7:11:28 PM

12345
> Ok Thanks. Will try that. What is the default security code as I can't
find
> it anywhere and 0000 doesn't seem to work?
>
> Cheers,

> "Kevin" <nomail@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > Wrong password. I didn't mean the phone lock password. The v600 lets
you
> > put passwords on a whole range of individual menu options. Simply put a
> > password on the option that controlls changing the ringtone (sorry can't
> > rememember exactly which one and don't have my phone with me to check).
> It
> > won't affect the answerability.
> >
> > Kev
> >

> > "M & C" <toogood_2b_truenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Ok, but by the time you have heard the ringer, got the phone out,
> > > entered a password the caller will have either got pissed off or gone
> > > voicemail
> > >
> > > Will look at the forum in the meantime as well as keeping my Nokia
6310i
> > > alive....more logical!!
> > >
> > > Cheers and thanks to all!!!

> > > "Kevin" <nomail@thanks.com> wrote in message