Solved

Commando prompt or any type of DOS environment in Win7?

I run(on XP) Quicken for DOS. Its very simple and being an old DOS user I find it easy to navigate and much quicker than the windows versions. Is there any possibility of running this program in Win7?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about commando prompt type environment win7
  1. No reason why it shouldn't run on 32-bit Windows 7 (but probably not 64-bit). Only way to be sure would be to try it.
  2. I should have posted that I have 64 bit Win7. I doubled clicked the app in a folder and it attempted to run but I got a message that it was not supported. I'm wondering if there's a way round it since some 32 bit programs run in this environment.
  3. Have you tried running in virtual XP mode? If not, give it a shot.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
  4. use dosbox -usually used for games, but no reason why it shouldnt sort you out...
  5. negril said:
    I should have posted that I have 64 bit Win7. I doubled clicked the app in a folder and it attempted to run but I got a message that it was not supported. I'm wondering if there's a way round it since some 32 bit programs run in this environment.

Being a DOS application it's almost certainly 16-bit rather than 32. 16-bit programs don't run on 64-bit Windows.

All is not lost! Grab VirtualBox and a copy of FreeDOS. You can then create a virtual machine that is 99.9% compatible with genuine MS-DOS and should run your program. The only problem may be printing, which could mean a bit of work. An alternative would be to create a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows (in which case it should be easy to set up your printer) - downside of that is that it will cost money (unless you have some old Windows disks lying around).
  6. Ijack said:
    An alternative would be to create a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows (in which case it should be easy to set up your printer) - downside of that is that it will cost money (unless you have some old Windows disks lying around).
    The Pro or Ultimate versions of Windows 7 include the right to download and use "XP Mode" which includes the license for the XP operating system - no additional cost needed.
  7. Ijack said:
    Being a DOS application it's almost certainly 16-bit rather than 32. 16-bit programs don't run on 64-bit Windows.

All is not lost! Grab VirtualBox and a copy of FreeDOS. You can then create a virtual machine that is 99.9% compatible with genuine MS-DOS and should run your program. The only problem may be printing, which could mean a bit of work. An alternative would be to create a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows (in which case it should be easy to set up your printer) - downside of that is that it will cost money (unless you have some old Windows disks lying around).

Where can I get "Virtual Box"? thanx
  8. Linked in my post! (Click on "VirtualBox"). As sminlal says, XP mode is an alternative if you have Pro or Ultimate.
  9. Thanx guys for the suggestions. I don't have Pro or Ultimate so no XP mode. VirtualBox looks good but seems beyond my skills. I took a quick look at the site but the terminoloy seems beyond me. I rooted around looking for info in layman's terms but couldn't find anything.
  10. another thought: is an upgrade from win7 to pro or ultimate available and recommended? I always tried to shy away from upgrades in favor of complete installations. thanx again
  11. Another option is vmplayer from vmware - also free and easy to use. You could create a VM to run DOS from and use that program if you'd like.

There are paid options from vmware too - VM Workstation - that have more features, but you could check out the free one first.
  12. VMWARE Workstation 7 looks like it would be great BUT - $189.00 . Whoa !!!!
  13. You should get away with just running DOSBox... I use it to run old DOS games on Vista and 7 64-bit. (Well just Windows 7 now). The neat thing was the games actually had sound too... something I didn't think possible.
  14. negril said:
    VMWARE Workstation 7 looks like it would be great BUT - $189.00 . Whoa !!!!

VMWare Player is free, and does almost everything that Workstation does.
  15. I certainly don't need anything sophisticated. I only want to run an early copy of Quicken in DOS. NO games, etc. Is it something a layman can setup?
  16. Best answer
    DOSBox is very easy to set up... and it comes with the instructions you'll need to set it up.
  17. Best answer selected by negril.
Ask a new question

Read More

DOS Windows XP Windows 7