Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Commando prompt or any type of DOS environment in Win7?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 11, 2010 2:36:22 PM

I run(on XP) Quicken for DOS. Its very simple and being an old DOS user I find it easy to navigate and much quicker than the windows versions. Is there any possibility of running this program in Win7?
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 2:52:52 PM

No reason why it shouldn't run on 32-bit Windows 7 (but probably not 64-bit). Only way to be sure would be to try it.
m
l
February 11, 2010 3:05:45 PM

I should have posted that I have 64 bit Win7. I doubled clicked the app in a folder and it attempted to run but I got a message that it was not supported. I'm wondering if there's a way round it since some 32 bit programs run in this environment.
m
l
February 11, 2010 3:34:57 PM

use dosbox -usually used for games, but no reason why it shouldnt sort you out...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 3:49:14 PM

negril said:
I should have posted that I have 64 bit Win7. I doubled clicked the app in a folder and it attempted to run but I got a message that it was not supported. I'm wondering if there's a way round it since some 32 bit programs run in this environment.

Being a DOS application it's almost certainly 16-bit rather than 32. 16-bit programs don't run on 64-bit Windows.

All is not lost! Grab VirtualBox and a copy of FreeDOS. You can then create a virtual machine that is 99.9% compatible with genuine MS-DOS and should run your program. The only problem may be printing, which could mean a bit of work. An alternative would be to create a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows (in which case it should be easy to set up your printer) - downside of that is that it will cost money (unless you have some old Windows disks lying around).
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 4:06:59 PM

Ijack said:
An alternative would be to create a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows (in which case it should be easy to set up your printer) - downside of that is that it will cost money (unless you have some old Windows disks lying around).
The Pro or Ultimate versions of Windows 7 include the right to download and use "XP Mode" which includes the license for the XP operating system - no additional cost needed.
m
l
February 11, 2010 4:12:26 PM

Ijack said:
Being a DOS application it's almost certainly 16-bit rather than 32. 16-bit programs don't run on 64-bit Windows.

All is not lost! Grab VirtualBox and a copy of FreeDOS. You can then create a virtual machine that is 99.9% compatible with genuine MS-DOS and should run your program. The only problem may be printing, which could mean a bit of work. An alternative would be to create a VM with a 32-bit version of Windows (in which case it should be easy to set up your printer) - downside of that is that it will cost money (unless you have some old Windows disks lying around).

Where can I get "Virtual Box"? thanx
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2010 4:33:47 PM

Linked in my post! (Click on "VirtualBox"). As sminlal says, XP mode is an alternative if you have Pro or Ultimate.
m
l
February 12, 2010 7:36:43 AM

Thanx guys for the suggestions. I don't have Pro or Ultimate so no XP mode. VirtualBox looks good but seems beyond my skills. I took a quick look at the site but the terminoloy seems beyond me. I rooted around looking for info in layman's terms but couldn't find anything.
m
l
February 12, 2010 7:38:03 AM

another thought: is an upgrade from win7 to pro or ultimate available and recommended? I always tried to shy away from upgrades in favor of complete installations. thanx again
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2010 12:32:55 PM

Another option is vmplayer from vmware - also free and easy to use. You could create a VM to run DOS from and use that program if you'd like.

There are paid options from vmware too - VM Workstation - that have more features, but you could check out the free one first.
m
l
February 12, 2010 2:33:35 PM

VMWARE Workstation 7 looks like it would be great BUT - $189.00 . Whoa !!!!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2010 2:36:14 PM

You should get away with just running DOSBox... I use it to run old DOS games on Vista and 7 64-bit. (Well just Windows 7 now). The neat thing was the games actually had sound too... something I didn't think possible.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2010 3:06:50 PM

negril said:
VMWARE Workstation 7 looks like it would be great BUT - $189.00 . Whoa !!!!

VMWare Player is free, and does almost everything that Workstation does.
m
l
February 12, 2010 3:11:01 PM

I certainly don't need anything sophisticated. I only want to run an early copy of Quicken in DOS. NO games, etc. Is it something a layman can setup?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2010 4:10:46 AM

DOSBox is very easy to set up... and it comes with the instructions you'll need to set it up.
February 13, 2010 10:27:02 PM

Best answer selected by negril.
m
l
!