Apeman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
hi everyone,

my IBM 60GB 7200rpm, is very noisy..it is some kind of high pitch sound that drive me crazy.

anyone found the same problem?

anyone know how to kill the noise in the HDD?

Thanks

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
unfortunately such a noise usually means something is wrong with the drive bearings.
they may just be very loud due to being unbalanced, or it may be a sign that your drive is soon to die. just to be safe i reccomend you backup all your important data.

as for what you can do... very little.
you can try to mount the drive on rubber shock adsorbing things to dampen vibrations, but thats unlikely to do much unles the drive is loose.

apart from that, the only way to fix it is to replace the drive.

<b>Trust Me, Trust Yourself, Trust the Hamster. Anyone else - Shoot Them. :eek: </b> This sig was proudly brought to you by <i>Hammie</i> :smile:

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Our shop was building some computers for a school, and out of 28 IBM drives, 2 were whining. They seemed to work ok, but we sent them back anyways.

I would say get it replaced. The company should take it back without too much hastle.

Apeman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
oh! really? But my HDD is firmly stable and never done any physical damage to it, i only bought it for around a year.

so what is a normal HDD's life time?

if I use some defrage software like the one in Windows or Norton's will it increadse my HDD's life time?

um...ya..i always backup my HDD with Norton ghost

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I don't think defrag will do much. You should be doing that regular anyways. I would ghost everything, and get ready for a new hard drive. Or get a new drive and ghost to it, then take out the old one. Hmm, maybe the one you have is still under warranty. Just a thought.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
a hard drive has moveable parts. even if you treat it well occasionally people get duds. nothing is perfect.

a normal hard drive should last between 3 to 5 years... but drive life is usually measured in "power on/off cycles" or "power on hours" or the mean time between failures.
but once again, your dealing with a device containing moving parts... so the lifespan can vary greatly. some unfortunate drive die within months or even weeks... others last well beyond 5 years.

and defrag software will do nothing to increase your HDD lifetime.

keeping the drive adequately cooled and avoiding too many power on/off cycles will (or should) let the drive live for longer.

<b><font color=orange>My <font color=green>life <font color=red>has <font color=blue>been <font color=black>so <font color=purple>much <font color=yellow>more <font color=orange>colourful <font color=green>since <font color=blue>the <font color=red>advent <font color=black>of <font color=purple>Super <font color=red>VGA! :lol:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes. most definately.
its not your fault the drive died. its theirs!

<b><font color=orange>My <font color=green>life <font color=red>has <font color=blue>been <font color=black>so <font color=purple>much <font color=yellow>more <font color=orange>colourful <font color=green>since <font color=blue>the <font color=red>advent <font color=black>of <font color=purple>Super <font color=red>VGA! :lol:

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
a normal hard drive should last between 3 to 5 years... but drive life is usually measured in "power on/off cycles" or "power on hours" or the mean time between failures
What a dilemma! At one side Im strugling with total power on time, and at the other maximum power on/off cycles which I have to increase in order to reduce the first issue. Christ! its not easy to be a HD owner. Years ago when I finally reached the conclusion that floppies were about the most unreliable storage on earth I thought 'thank god we have HDs'. Are HD manufacturers pushing the technology too fast. Are HDs becoming more unreliable?

Before all this fuzz about IBMs Deathstars I never thought of HDs as unreliable storage, but with all the stories I read... I dont know anymore.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no... i think on average they are getting better.
better error control, failure detection, SMART monitoring active sector remapping, accoustic dampening, head parking etc.

its just that certain product lines have bad reputaitons (75 and 60gxp)