"Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message
> >Setting up a TV so i can play games via my PC.Need some help.
>>
>>I have an Nvida 6600 Gt videocard. And the Tv i have connected is an
>>86cm WideScreen HD TV.
>>

>>My pc is connected via componet to my tv.
>>
>>All i want is my TV to show the PC games at the same size and
>>resoolution. Ive got it set to clone mode. If i try to set the
>>reso9lution of the TV it does not let me its stuck at 640 by 480 for
>>some reason.
>>
>>Ive head that 720p is the best resolution to playgame sin. I would
>>like to try this but have No idea how. I asume if i set the resultion
>>in the game to this and set the TV as 720pp this would work right ??
>>
>>Also iam confused about overscan , underscan and Native resolutioon
>>settings.
>>
>>If anyone can help me please do. Ill keep trying but its allittle hard
>>for me. First time trying this.
>>
>>Thanks.

Your TV has to be capable of 720P, are you sure it is? Most CRT HDTVS do
only either 480P or 1080i, I only have a 27" non-widescreen HDTV so really
the best I can do is 856x480 for a game like Quake3. I have an ATI 9700 AIW
and games look really good at 4X or 6X FSAA at 640x480. You can download
Powerstrip and set up custom resolutions but for the ideal resolution your
set needs to be able to do 720P, the big downside to 640x480 on my set is
some newer games have loading screens that need 800x600 or better in which
case I just use the S-video connector which will do 800x600 or 1024x768 no
problem. There are a number of games that will run in Widescreen mode too,
on your set I imagine at 480P it is running 856x480 full screen, on my set
that res is windowed, using 1080i I can't see the buttons and such on setup
screens.

A lot of good HTPC/HDTV info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Yeah its fully 720p and 1080i.

I cant seem to get it right. Its either to big for the screen so i can
pan it left right upand down. Or is solid but cuts out the top and
bottom of the screen somwhat :(
Working on it.

But i can notice playing on the TV is much better, Not sure whay but
the bigness seems to make it better :)

All i need is to get my Gaming chair with the keyboard and mouse
holder. And beer holder and chip holder setup and iam set :)

Thanks.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:44:45 GMT, "Chris Townsend"
<fakename@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message
>> >Setting up a TV so i can play games via my PC.Need some help.
>>>
>>>I have an Nvida 6600 Gt videocard. And the Tv i have connected is an
>>>86cm WideScreen HD TV.
>>>

>>>My pc is connected via componet to my tv.
>>>
>>>All i want is my TV to show the PC games at the same size and
>>>resoolution. Ive got it set to clone mode. If i try to set the
>>>reso9lution of the TV it does not let me its stuck at 640 by 480 for
>>>some reason.
>>>
>>>Ive head that 720p is the best resolution to playgame sin. I would
>>>like to try this but have No idea how. I asume if i set the resultion
>>>in the game to this and set the TV as 720pp this would work right ??
>>>
>>>Also iam confused about overscan , underscan and Native resolutioon
>>>settings.
>>>
>>>If anyone can help me please do. Ill keep trying but its allittle hard
>>>for me. First time trying this.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>
>Your TV has to be capable of 720P, are you sure it is? Most CRT HDTVS do
>only either 480P or 1080i, I only have a 27" non-widescreen HDTV so really
>the best I can do is 856x480 for a game like Quake3. I have an ATI 9700 AIW
>and games look really good at 4X or 6X FSAA at 640x480. You can download
>Powerstrip and set up custom resolutions but for the ideal resolution your
>set needs to be able to do 720P, the big downside to 640x480 on my set is
>some newer games have loading screens that need 800x600 or better in which
>case I just use the S-video connector which will do 800x600 or 1024x768 no
>problem. There are a number of games that will run in Widescreen mode too,
>on your set I imagine at 480P it is running 856x480 full screen, on my set
>that res is windowed, using 1080i I can't see the buttons and such on setup
>screens.
>
>A lot of good HTPC/HDTV info here:
>http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I have never used an Nvidia card with my HTPC so I don't know how they
handle component output or even TV-out at all but Powerstrip may be just
what you are looking for, before ATI vastly improved HDTV support in their
drivers Powerstrip was a must-have for me and it is super convenient for
setting up and accessing different resolutions.

http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Putting Powerstrip and HDTV in Google will give you a lot of good info, you
to need to be a mite cautious when enabling custom resolutions and adjusting
overscan.

> Yeah its fully 720p and 1080i.
>
> I cant seem to get it right. Its either to big for the screen so i can
> pan it left right upand down. Or is solid but cuts out the top and
> bottom of the screen somwhat :(
> Working on it.
>
> But i can notice playing on the TV is much better, Not sure whay but
> the bigness seems to make it better :)
>
> All i need is to get my Gaming chair with the keyboard and mouse
> holder. And beer holder and chip holder setup and iam set :)
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:44:45 GMT, "Chris Townsend"
> <fakename@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>"Son Of Sheep." <sheep.com.au> wrote in message

>>Your TV has to be capable of 720P, are you sure it is? Most CRT HDTVS do
>>only either 480P or 1080i, I only have a 27" non-widescreen HDTV so really
>>the best I can do is 856x480 for a game like Quake3. I have an ATI 9700
>>AIW
>>and games look really good at 4X or 6X FSAA at 640x480. You can download
>>Powerstrip and set up custom resolutions but for the ideal resolution your
>>set needs to be able to do 720P, the big downside to 640x480 on my set is
>>some newer games have loading screens that need 800x600 or better in which
>>case I just use the S-video connector which will do 800x600 or 1024x768 no
>>problem. There are a number of games that will run in Widescreen mode too,
>>on your set I imagine at 480P it is running 856x480 full screen, on my set
>>that res is windowed, using 1080i I can't see the buttons and such on
>>setup
>>screens.
>>
>>A lot of good HTPC/HDTV info here:
>>http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26

I dont like powerstrip. It makes my PC lockup and crash and ie and
hurting and owwies and such :(

And thats just before i even change anything. I justhad it installed
to overclock my vidcard. Now i just use the drievrs to do that.

Ill try it maybe it wont be so bad this time.