Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Half Life 2 $19.99

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 1:23:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from buying
this title for a long time due to steam, but now that price may be too
good to pass up. Anyone else going to pick it up this week? I may
still hold off because I am still enjoying BF2 and WOW and do not really
need another game.

More about : half life

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 3:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote in message
news:g6Wdnez-EbTSC37fRVn-iw@adelphia.com...
> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from buying this
> title for a long time due to steam, but now that price may be too good to
> pass up. Anyone else going to pick it up this week? I may still hold off
> because I am still enjoying BF2 and WOW and do not really need another
> game.


I would encourage you not to make the purchase.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 7:18:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote in message
news:g6Wdnez-EbTSC37fRVn-iw@adelphia.com...
> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from buying this
> title for a long time due to steam,

I have had this game for months already, of course other people are playing
it, its one of the best games ever made

not your fault you stalled getting it because of faulty rumors spread about
steam

had it since day one thanks to steam and enjoyed it before most people got
it in the store
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 8:43:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Adernal wrote:
> "javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote
>> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from
>> buying this title for a long time due to steam,
>
> I have had this game for months already, of course other people are
> playing it, its one of the best games ever made

It's probably just me (some say I'm getting old, but I dont buy that) but I
quit hl2 about half way in and never looked back.

It didnt bother me as much in the first one, but being confined to a very
strict and narrow path made me feel like in a movie set - everything around
me were just props, you may look but you may not go there.

Like going on a tour to a beautiful european city and never being allowed to
get off the bus.

Bleh.

I'll take Far Cry anyday.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 8:43:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
news:RyPEe.3366$Ow4.1279170@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Adernal wrote:
>> "javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote
>>> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from
>>> buying this title for a long time due to steam,
>>
>> I have had this game for months already, of course other people are
>> playing it, its one of the best games ever made
>
> It's probably just me (some say I'm getting old, but I dont buy that) but
> I
> quit hl2 about half way in and never looked back.
>
> It didnt bother me as much in the first one, but being confined to a very
> strict and narrow path made me feel like in a movie set - everything
> around
> me were just props, you may look but you may not go there.
>
> Like going on a tour to a beautiful european city and never being allowed
> to
> get off the bus.
>
> Bleh.
>
> I'll take Far Cry anyday.
>
>

Far Cry... ha! Where it crashes on half of the PC's out there, at least
until the 1.3 patch. I couldn't play it for the longest time. Then gave it a
try with 1.3 patch, and the checkpoint saves just ruined it. Not to mention
the AI going from completely idiotic to being able to spot you in the brush
1000 yards away and popping a cap in your head with one shot from a
pistol...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 8:49:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

javajeff wrote:
> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from buying
> this title for a long time due to steam, but now that price may be too
> good to pass up. Anyone else going to pick it up this week? I may
> still hold off because I am still enjoying BF2 and WOW and do not
> really need another game.

Yes, get it. It's a great game. I'v played it four times. I haven't played
one game that many times since Halo. As long as you don't have dial-up,
chances are slim you won't have problems with Steam.
July 24, 2005 10:27:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:20:33 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>I would encourage you not to make the purchase.

I bought it at full price via Steam and was very pleased I did. I have
played it through 3 times which is very unusual for me.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 10:27:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
news:epj7e15la71np45vj6ntullvanch04njg7@4ax.com...
>
> I bought it at full price via Steam and was very pleased I did. I have
> played it through 3 times which is very unusual for me.
>


LOL, are you trying to antagonize me? I was trying to make a neutral
response without turning this thread into a huge debate, even if people do
remember what I think of Steam.
July 24, 2005 10:44:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 11:42:59 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>LOL, are you trying to antagonize me? I was trying to make a neutral
>response without turning this thread into a huge debate, even if people do
>remember what I think of Steam.

Sorry, I didn't realise this was an anti HL2 thread. The OP's question
didn't seem to indicate he wanted a lopsided view.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
July 24, 2005 11:11:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote in message
news:g6Wdnez-EbTSC37fRVn-iw@adelphia.com...
> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from buying this
> title for a long time due to steam, but now that price may be too good to
> pass up. Anyone else going to pick it up this week? I may still hold off
> because I am still enjoying BF2 and WOW and do not really need another
> game.

It's worth it for $20 - even if you only play half of the full game,
CS:Source is a big improvement and the expected mods will make it worthwhile
too.

Heck, I must have spent more time on Garry's mod than on some full price
games I have bought (MaxPayne2, for example - although this was worth every
penny IMO).
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 24, 2005 11:29:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Schrodinger wrote:
> It's worth it for $20 - even if you only play half of the full game,
> CS:Source is a big improvement and the expected mods will make it worthwhile
> too.
>
> Heck, I must have spent more time on Garry's mod than on some full price
> games I have bought (MaxPayne2, for example - although this was worth every
> penny IMO).
>
>

I am more interested to hear about Day of Defeat on HL2 engine. I never
played DOD, but heard it was great. I am a fan of World War II games
over science fiction. If I pick it up this week, it will be more for
the mods. I generally cannot force myself to finish linear campaigns.
I am a multiplayer gamer only, so I guess I am asking for help on
Counterstrike and Day of Defeat as well as other mods.

Thanks.

javajeff
July 25, 2005 1:09:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote in message
news:g6Wdnez-EbTSC37fRVn-iw@adelphia.com...
> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from buying this
> title for a long time due to steam, but now that price may be too good to
> pass up. Anyone else going to pick it up this week? I may still hold off
> because I am still enjoying BF2 and WOW and do not really need another
> game.

Its well worth it at that price. I personally liked Far Cry more and dislike
Steam even though Im on cable but HL2 is still a pretty good game and at
that
price - yeah definitely get it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 25, 2005 1:59:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

javajeff wrote:

<snip>

you know why it has this price?
cause vivendi will stop selling it at the end of august so
till then all units must go
or they sell them or they will have to burn them
and that game really should be burn, so let it burn

vivendi decision was a great one cause steam has no place
in retail
steam is an alien technology for the retail channel
steam should only be available as a internet distribution
system

but the price is not what matter in hl2 but instead steam
no matter what price they sell it, they could even give it
for free, hl2 is still a NO title and specially the retail
version which has no place having steam hidden inside

so don't buy hl2 retail no matter what the price!
if you want alternatives you have plenty... do you own pc
games like riddick and tribes vengeance?
both are being sold in retail for less than 19.99
19.99 was the price riddick had when it was released back
in december 2004 so do you got riddick? its a much better
game and specially it doesn't feature abusive steam
so get riddick or tribes vengeance instead

if you have both please tell us cause we have plenty of
other suggestions for pc games to buy
all other pc games are steam free!
you don't need hl2!
stay away from hl2!
stay clean of steam infection!
long live pc games steam free!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i say "NO" to valve and steam
July 25, 2005 2:02:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"NightSky 421" wrote
> "Andrew" wrote

>> I bought it at full price via Steam and was very pleased I did. I have
>> played it through 3 times which is very unusual for me.

> LOL, are you trying to antagonize me? I was trying to make a neutral
> response without turning this thread into a huge debate, even if people do
> remember what I think of Steam.

Advising someone not to buy a game is a 'negative' response. Andrew's was
'positive'. Neither were 'neutral'.
July 25, 2005 11:46:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote in message
news:0_ednWlEkt3MuXnfRVn-iA@adelphia.com...
> Schrodinger wrote:
>> It's worth it for $20 - even if you only play half of the full game,
>> CS:Source is a big improvement and the expected mods will make it
>> worthwhile too.
>>
>> Heck, I must have spent more time on Garry's mod than on some full price
>> games I have bought (MaxPayne2, for example - although this was worth
>> every penny IMO).
>
> I am more interested to hear about Day of Defeat on HL2 engine. I never
> played DOD, but heard it was great. I am a fan of World War II games over
> science fiction. If I pick it up this week, it will be more for the mods.
> I generally cannot force myself to finish linear campaigns. I am a
> multiplayer gamer only, so I guess I am asking for help on Counterstrike
> and Day of Defeat as well as other mods.
>
> Thanks.
>
> javajeff

Yeah Im a DoDer too - and DoD Source will be out probably in September.
Quite honestly if thats what interests you get a copy of HL 1 for £5-£10 and
use that
and Steam to download the current DoD 1.3 about (200mb) - try it out and see
if you like it before
you go for HL2
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 25, 2005 12:34:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:HdUEe.25312$Pf3.5094@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> Advising someone not to buy a game is a 'negative' response. Andrew's was
> 'positive'. Neither were 'neutral'.


If you want to get technical about it, you're right, but I meant it in the
context that I was making a "neutral" response when it comes to mentioning
certain copy protection elements surrounding Half Life 2. But you're right
to say that when it comes to the game itself, my response was indeed
negative while Andrew's was positive.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 25, 2005 12:37:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
news:tpk7e1513dakhuj1dim6n9khjsaq2a9svq@4ax.com...
>
> Sorry, I didn't realise this was an anti HL2 thread. The OP's question
> didn't seem to indicate he wanted a lopsided view.


No problem Andrew. Believe it or not, despite my feelings about Steam, I
had a certain amusement in your answer to my post. I don't mean that in an
offensive way.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 25, 2005 1:42:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"BuckFush" <notmyre@laddress.com> wrote in message
news:RyPEe.3366$Ow4.1279170@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Adernal wrote:
> > "javajeff" <javajeff@NOSPAMadelphia.net> wrote
> >> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from
> >> buying this title for a long time due to steam,
> >
> > I have had this game for months already, of course other people are
> > playing it, its one of the best games ever made
>
> It's probably just me (some say I'm getting old, but I dont buy that) but
I
> quit hl2 about half way in and never looked back.
>
> It didnt bother me as much in the first one, but being confined to a very
> strict and narrow path made me feel like in a movie set - everything
around
> me were just props, you may look but you may not go there.
>
> Like going on a tour to a beautiful european city and never being allowed
to
> get off the bus.
>
> Bleh.
>
> I'll take Far Cry anyday.
>
>
I agree that far cry is better and I agree with your sentiments about
half-life 2 being confined to a narrow path, it was still fairly good
though.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 25, 2005 9:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

javajeff wrote:
> Half Life 2 $19.99 at CompUSA this week. I have held off from buying
> this title for a long time due to steam, but now that price may be too
> good to pass up. Anyone else going to pick it up this week? I may
> still hold off because I am still enjoying BF2 and WOW and do not really
> need another game.

It is worth $19.99 but not much more. Even with the Steam BS. I
enjoyed the game when I played it at normal difficulty, then again at
the harder one. But I'll probably never play it again, even online.

Compare this to Battlefield II - I played more of the BF2 Demo than I
did of the whole HL2 product.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 26, 2005 9:09:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Byron Walter wrote:
> The install probably took about ...gasp... 2 1/2 hours.

It's a good thing people have the option of buying the DVD so that they
don't have to download for hours on end before being given permission
to play their game.

--
Best Regards, mattchu <...>
np: The Wipers - This Time
!