sound and video problems on new system

I upgraded my system (AMD 64+ 3000+, gigabyte K8NS Mobo, 2 gig Kingston
ram, ATI 9800 pro, SATA Maxtor 60 gig HD) and am having audio and video
problems. For example, when I tried to play Yager the audio stuttered
on the intro movie. Then when I tried to play NASCAR 2003 the game
froze and there was a clicking noise coming from my puter. The last
time this happened Windows wouldn't start afterwards, not even to safe
mode, and I ended up reinstalling everything! This time I exited the
games immediately and had created a HD image before installing the
games using TrueImage in case it happened again!

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

So far, it's only happened with games -- no video/audio problems
otherwise. I'm researching the problems. Anyone got ideas?

Thanks,
SG

I forgot to add I'm using the 5.7 Catalyst drivers and the onboard
8-channel sound (running through a 3 speaker system) and the latest
audio drivers (Realtek AC97) for the MB .

SG

faster_framerates wrote:
> Possibly an inadequate power supply and/or a heat issue.

PS is 350w. The vid card has a fan, though I don't know what temp the
card's processor is running at. CPU temps are within limits. I seemed
to have solved the sound problem -- I thought I'd installed the lastest
sound drivers after the crash, but hadn't.

A computer tech recommended ending all non-essential processes with
EnditAll2, which I did. He also said to underclock the RAM to 2700 and
use a GB of cache on both SATA and IDE drives.

SG

Possibly an inadequate power supply and/or a heat issue.

- f_f

I think I'm on the right path in solving the sound problem -- I thought
I'd reinstalled the latest sound drivers after the crash, but hadn't
(no sound problems in NASCAR 2003 now). Someone suggested I might not
have up-to-date codecs. I'd thought of that, too, but haven't gotten
around to installing them.

I think the video problem is (as was suggested) from a weak power
supply (350w that came with case). When I installed Hmonitor it found 2
MB voltages that were too low.

http://www.hmonitor.com/

I have a bunch of stuff in there: 2 HDs, 2 opticals, a power-hungry CPU
and video card, lights and a zillion fans. I've ordered a 550w PS from
1COOLPC:

http://www.1coolpc.com/

Great place to buy fans, too. Most come with life-time warranty, are
inexpensive and they ship fast.

SG

I noticed from your original post that you have an ATI 9800 Pro. I've have
the AIW version of that card and was experiencing complete system shutdowns
while playing Painkiller: BOOH and The Thing (of all games).

Long story short, in addition to adding two more case fans and a beefier CPU
heatsink and fan, I bought an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer AVC-1000. The
stock ATI heatsink on the 9800 Pro is laughable compared to the Arctive
Cooling add-on. If you're spending more money for stability, and it appears
you are (endless cycle, huh?), I highly suggest picking one up for ~$15.
Just be careful and take your time installing it.

You may also want to connect the VGA's molex connector on its own line
straight from the PSU.

HTH,

f_f

> "Arctive Cooling add-on."

Erm, should be Arctic Cooling add-on. Don't mean to confuse.

- f_f

faster_framerates wrote:

> Long story short, in addition to adding two more case fans and a beefier CPU
> heatsink and fan, I bought an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer AVC-1000. The
> stock ATI heatsink on the 9800 Pro is laughable compared to the Arctive
> Cooling add-on.

I was just looking at that cooler! Thx for the suggestion -- I'll have
to get one.

> If you're spending more money for stability, and it appears
> you are (endless cycle, huh?),

Tell me about it. All started when I needed to add another monitor:
since my MB only supported 4x AGP I decided to upgrade and, of course,
Fry's had a combo AMD 64 3000+ / Gigabyte MB for $200. I only had 512
mb ram and, wouldn't you know it, Fry's had 2 gigs of Kingston ram for
$139. Since the new MB was SATA capable I asked about SATA drives and
they had a Maxtor 60 gig SATA HD on sale for $40, but the sale ended
that day! So I went, checkbook in hand! :p

SG