1Year old and still going strong!

srg

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
Hi
Just thought you people would be interested that my IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40GB Hard Disk is 1 year old this month!! It is still going strong, never even a bad sector, lovely and quiet, fast and perfectly reliable.

I am interested to find out what I'm doing right, as everyone else here seems to have had bad experiences.

Windows XP Works on a K5 PR133 (100MHz) with 80MB RAM!!!!!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm very happy for you, but I would recommend keeping your data backed up nonetheless. I don't think any of us were expecting ours to die.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Congratulations. And as already stated I suggest you keep backup of your irreplaceable date.

Most 60GXP HDs Ive heard about died within a year. Since you have hit that border, there is a certain probability that you dont have one of the bad drives. A friend of mine told me that IBM has released some comments on the reasont HD failures and provided a list with serial numbers of affected harddrives. I havent checked yet. But I suggest you do.

DOOM

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2001
What exactly are the symptoms of an IBM "Deathstar" beginning to fail?

I had a problem where my drives would beep on startup and not autodetect until I rebooted. But I'm not sure if that was my IBM or my Maxtor. I ran a full scandisk, SMART utilities, every utility I could find and they all said that both drives were in perfect order.

-DOOM

Defective

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
It is possible to recover data from the Deskstar drives that crash about 95% of the time, if it is due this defect. I have not researched the defect itself, maybe some of you have. If you use Ghost and use the switches to have it copy everything and force it to ignore errors then it can recover most of the data. This happened to my 40GB and 99% of my data was recovered.

Stupidity should be painful.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I recovered "most" of my data as well. Nonetheless, the drive still died and was very unsatisfactory.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

bvoyek

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I've got a 40gb 60GXP still going strong too. I did have two 75GXP's die on me though. After they died I thought I'd give IBM one more shot and so far the 60GXP has been a great drive. Fast and quiet, although a little hot. But that's what fans are for.

Defective

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2002
I am not saying that I was particularly pleased either. I had to wait 3 weeks for IBM to ship back the drive. I am starting to move over to Seagate Barracuda's for my recommendations and in the comps that I build for others. I have heard good things about their reliability.

---------------

Stupidity should be painful.