Creative launching ANOTHER card!

Hey, I like Creative's cards, especially the Audigy 2... but this is
getting a bit ridiculous for Creative to have a refresh of a soundcard every
other year. We are talking about soundcards after all, not graphics cards
or CPU's. Reading on Tomshardware, they make it sound like the feature set
for this card is entirely revolutionary:

Hype says: headphone sounds like 5.1 speakers
I say: Didn't the Live do that? And heck, Aureal started it all. They
make it sound like a frickin' revolution when this is old technology.

Hype says: enhance compressed audio
I say: Umm... readme latest patch for Doom 3: id used a compressed audio
format to save bandwith when they wrote their own custom sound engine, but
when they added EAX/OpenAL support, they got creative to write an
"enhancement" for Audigy cards that upgrades the sound (a little).

Now, the transistor count on the new X-fi looks impressive (over 50
million transistors vs. 5 million on the Audigy 2), and Creative claims it
does about 24 times the instructions of the old Audigy cards (10 billion
instructions per second, 10,000 mips, up from about 500 mips). But still,
the Audigy 2 cards seems to be sufficient right now for PC audio- more than
sufficient. Audigy 4 can support 4 environments interacting with each othe,
environment panning, morphing, reflections. I honestly don't see what more
you could need. About the only thing that truely appears to be different is
the potential performance gains: 24 bit audio support. Now, I'm not sure
the average person could hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit audio,
but the digital to analog converters in the cards will definitely be a
limiting factor, and the "budget" cards are going to have to ship with
cheaper DAC's. Also, possibly in games: creative claims there's an increase
in performanec when using over 120 voices in Unreal Tournament 2004. Being
as most games are unlikely to be qualitatively improved by having 120 voices
running at once, I'm not exactly impressed. Perhaps the incresaed
horsepower will lead to some better audio filters for headphones, or sound
quality that borders on sublime... but this is starting to remind me of the
guy in Radio Shack who chided me for wanting a regular 2 dollar RCA female
plug (which they did not have) when I could get a gold plated plug instead:
"It will sound better". Yeah, right. It'll sound better going into the
cash register for you, buddy.

The only place I see this card being really successful is maybe for the
amateur/professional audio technician. Having that increased audio fidelity
would be useful, for instance, for restorting old LP recordings. Currently,
there are real limitations when using comb filters to remove things like
pops and hiss, and more processing power could always be useful there. Or
perhaps it would be good for mastering or mixing music tracks. But only
time will tell if the increased power of the audio processor will be really
useful for games.
7 answers Last reply
More about creative launching card

    "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > Now, the transistor count on the new X-fi looks impressive (over 50
    > million transistors vs. 5 million on the Audigy 2), and Creative claims it
    > does about 24 times the instructions of the old Audigy cards (10 billion
    > instructions per second, 10,000 mips, up from about 500 mips). But still,
    > the Audigy 2 cards seems to be sufficient right now for PC audio- more
    > than sufficient. Audigy 4 can support 4 environments interacting with
    > each othe, environment panning, morphing, reflections. I honestly don't
    > see what more you could need. About the only thing that truely appears to
    > be different is

    Is this new card coming out yet? Anytime I go to the Sound Blaster website,
    all they have are these countdowns to the next release of info about the new
    card. In the meantime, there's been some drivers in beta stage for the
    Audigy 2 ZS since April 5(?) and I don't think they want to finalize those
    drivers until after the new card comes out.

    In terms of features, I agree that it's hard to imagine anyone ever needing
    anything more than the Audigy 2 ZS, and a lot of people are happy with less
    (and rightfully so). I have the Platinum version of the Audigy 2 ZS myself
    and the whole thing is really beyond my needs. However, I think it's a good
    idea to have an up-to-date model sound card just from a general support
    standpoint, and maybe from a performance standpoint to a lesser degree.
    After all, this is not like going from an ISA sound card to PCI. Prior to
    my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, I had a Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1, but gave it up
    after trying the Far Cry demo last year when I experienced split-second
    "hiccups" in gameplay. Also the fact that no new drivers seemed to be
    coming out of Hercules for that sound card contributed to my decision.

    As for this new sound card from Creative Labs, I may consider it next year
    when I build my next system. Again, though, mainly only because of
    support/performance and certainly not because actually I need that much
    sound card.

    "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > support/performance and certainly not because actually I need that much
    > sound card.

    Err...that would be, "...and certainly not because I actually need that much
    sound card".

    "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Hey, I like Creative's cards, especially the Audigy 2... but this is
    > getting a bit ridiculous for Creative to have a refresh of a soundcard
    > every other year.

    It is a bit of a joke, only of use to high end PC manufacturers like Alien
    to pump at the prices of their machines.

    --
    Rocky
    GhostRecon.net | AGR-S.com | Tactical-Elite.net

    __

    Quoth The Raven "Magnulus"<magnulus@bellsouth.net> in
    Xo4Fe.28492$xn.12694@bignews6.bellsouth.net
    > Hey, I like Creative's cards, especially the Audigy 2... but this is
    > getting a bit ridiculous for Creative to have a refresh of a
    > soundcard every other year.

    I still have an old sblive value 4.1 card. my pc is in my room of a shared
    house, I do use 4.1 speakers and they're loud enough, what more do I want to
    play games? I don't want to be tripping over more speakers than I have to.

    --
    So much of our time is preparation, so much is routine, and so much
    retrospect, that the path of each man's genius contracts itself to a

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    >Quoth The Raven "Magnulus"<magnulus@bellsouth.net> in
    >Xo4Fe.28492$xn.12694@bignews6.bellsouth.net
    >> Hey, I like Creative's cards, especially the Audigy 2... but this is
    >> getting a bit ridiculous for Creative to have a refresh of a
    >> soundcard every other year.
    >
    >I still have an old sblive value 4.1 card. my pc is in my room of a shared
    >house, I do use 4.1 speakers and they're loud enough, what more do I want to
    >play games? I don't want to be tripping over more speakers than I have to.

    Up until the start of this year I was still using a Soundblaster 16. I
    miss its wavetable.

    More like Nvidia didn't feel like paying the royalties to Dolby for the
    Soundstorm technology.

    They also found out that people were not generally interested in high
    end computer audio.

    Any sort of cheap Realtek codec slapped together on a board was fine.

    I have an Nforce2 Ultra board and Soundstorm is the pinnacle of onboard
    audio but it's like pearls before swine.

    T.

    Quoth The Raven "Bateau"<Gamera@work.stomping.aza> in
    540ae194qlpta3qjt0apvkvg4eb9ln1ahm@4ax.com
    > "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
    >>Quoth The Raven "Magnulus"<magnulus@bellsouth.net> in
    >>Xo4Fe.28492$xn.12694@bignews6.bellsouth.net
    >>> Hey, I like Creative's cards, especially the Audigy 2... but this
    >>> is getting a bit ridiculous for Creative to have a refresh of a
    >>> soundcard every other year.
    >>
    >>I still have an old sblive value 4.1 card. my pc is in my room of a
    >>shared house, I do use 4.1 speakers and they're loud enough, what
    >>more do I want to play games? I don't want to be tripping over more
    >>speakers than I have to.
    >
    > Up until the start of this year I was still using a Soundblaster 16. I
    > miss its wavetable.

    snort

    --
    Always avoid generalisations.

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

PC gaming Creative Sound Cards Video Games