NY Times: Sony Set to Exert Influence on Discs

Excerpt from:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html

The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not only
give the company an enormous film library but also considerable power in
its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
discs.

The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions of
dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs them.
Sony, as part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium of major
electronics makers, is at the forefront of efforts to develop the new
technological standard.

--
ha
28 answers Last reply

    hank alrich wrote:

    > Excerpt from:
    >
    > http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html
    >
    > The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not only
    > give the company an enormous film library but also considerable power in
    > its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
    > discs.
    >
    > The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    > available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions of
    > dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs them.
    > Sony, as part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium of major
    > electronics makers, is at the forefront of efforts to develop the new
    > technological standard.

    Oy.

    Did I miss something? I thought Ted Turner bought these films in the
    '80's, and I assumed that Time Warner bought it all from him.

    In article <1gk4egy.1uyrcggh768j9N%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

    > The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not only
    > give the company an enormous film library but also considerable power in
    > its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
    > discs.
    >
    > The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    > available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions of
    > dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs them.
    > Sony

    What? Yet another video disk format? Good thing I haven't bought a DVD
    player yet.

    I expect that Blu-Ray will come around eventually, but at $2500 for a
    computer drive, it'll be a couple of years before there are $50 home
    players - but not very long.

    > In article <1gk4egy.1uyrcggh768j9N%walkinay@thegrid.net>
    > walkinay@thegrid.net writes:
    >
    >> The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not
    >> only give the company an enormous film library but also considerable
    >> power in its fight to set the format for the next generation of
    >> digital video discs.
    >>
    >> The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    >> available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions of
    >> dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs
    >> them. Sony
    >
    > What? Yet another video disk format? Good thing I haven't bought a DVD
    > player yet.
    >
    > I expect that Blu-Ray will come around eventually, but at $2500 for a
    > computer drive, it'll be a couple of years before there are $50 home
    > players - but not very long.

    Maybe $2500 for a writer, but that's way too high for readers or players. By
    now everybody, even Hollywood knows about the magic of the $200 price
    point....

    Mike Rivers wrote:

    > What? Yet another video disk format? Good thing I haven't bought a DVD
    > player yet.

    Mike, if this happens, the DVD players will probably be $19, and the
    discs will be $1.00.

    The downside will be the space it takes up in your home.

    : )

    "Don Cooper" <dcooper288000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    :
    :
    : hank alrich wrote:
    : >
    : > Excerpt from:
    : >
    : > http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html
    : >
    : > The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not only
    : > give the company an enormous film library but also considerable power in
    : > its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
    : > discs.
    : >
    : > The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    : > available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions of
    : > dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs them.
    : > Sony, as part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium of major
    : > electronics makers, is at the forefront of efforts to develop the new
    : > technological standard.
    :
    Is this going to be another whopping success like SACD and Beta? We need yet another video
    format why?

    Phil

    "anybody-but-bush" <Anybody But Bu$h@YAHOO.com> wrote in message
    > "Don Cooper" <dcooper288000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>

    >> hank alrich wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Excerpt from:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html
    >>>
    >>> The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not
    >>> only give the company an enormous film library but also
    >>> considerable power in its fight to set the format for the next
    >>> generation of digital video discs.
    >>>
    >>> The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    >>> available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions
    >>> of dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that
    >>> runs them. Sony, as part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a
    >>> consortium of major electronics makers, is at the forefront of
    >>> efforts to develop the new technological standard.
    >>
    > Is this going to be another whopping success like SACD and Beta? We
    > need yet another video format why?

    One word: HDTV

    It's all about getting more data on the same-sized low-cost pre-recordable
    media.

    In article <ajW1d.2303$mb6.1043@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "anybody-but-bush" <Anybody But Bu$h@YAHOO.com> wrote:

    > "Don Cooper" <dcooper288000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > :
    > :
    > : hank alrich wrote:
    > : >
    > : > Excerpt from:
    > : >
    > : > http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html
    > : >
    > : > The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not only
    > : > give the company an enormous film library but also considerable power in
    > : > its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
    > : > discs.
    > : >
    > : > The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    > : > available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions of
    > : > dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs them.
    > : > Sony, as part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium of major
    > : > electronics makers, is at the forefront of efforts to develop the new
    > : > technological standard.
    > :
    > Is this going to be another whopping success like SACD and Beta? We need yet
    > another video
    > format why?
    >
    > Phil

    More robust copy protection. (See SACD.)

    -Jay
    x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x

    "Jay Kadis" <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote in message
    > In article <ajW1d.2303$mb6.1043@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > "anybody-but-bush" <Anybody But Bu$h@YAHOO.com> wrote:
    >
    > > "Don Cooper" <dcooper288000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > :
    > > :
    > > : hank alrich wrote:
    > > : >
    > > : > Excerpt from:
    > > : >
    > > : > http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html
    > > : >
    > > : > The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not
    only
    > > : > give the company an enormous film library but also considerable
    power in
    > > : > its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
    > > : > discs.
    > > : >
    > > : > The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    > > : > available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions
    of
    > > : > dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs
    them.
    > > : > Sony, as part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium of major
    > > : > electronics makers, is at the forefront of efforts to develop the
    new
    > > : > technological standard.
    > > :
    > > Is this going to be another whopping success like SACD and Beta? We need
    yet
    > > another video
    > > format why?
    > >
    > > Phil
    > >

    > More robust copy protection. (See SACD.)

    That, and more room for HD video. The standard DVD disc holds 4.7gb of data;
    the DVD-9 and new dual layer discs hold 8.7gb. Blu-ray and blu-ray dual
    layer hold 27gb and ~50gb respectively. Besides, the current technology is
    pretty much at its limit. 16x writers are already hitting the market, and
    that's as fast as she goes. We will see improvement to the RW write times
    and the dual layer write times, probably up to 8x for both. Blu-ray is the
    future.

    Glenn D.

    > In article <1gk4egy.1uyrcggh768j9N%walkinay@thegrid.net>
    walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

    > > The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not only
    > > give the company an enormous film library but also considerable power in
    > > its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
    > > discs.
    > >
    > > The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    > > available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions of
    > > dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs them.
    > > Sony
    >
    > What? Yet another video disk format? Good thing I haven't bought a DVD
    > player yet.
    >
    > I expect that Blu-Ray will come around eventually, but at $2500 for a
    > computer drive, it'll be a couple of years before there are $50 home
    > players - but not very long.

    Yep. When HP entered the CD-R market in 1995, CD-R speeds were 4x and the
    price was $1200. I've seen 32x CD-R drives for $5 after rebate. DVD+R 2.4
    writers were $300 about three years ago. Now, 16x DVD+-RW writers with dual
    layer write capability will go this holiday season for under $100. It's a
    rapidly moving market.

    Glenn D.

    Glenn Dowdy wrote:

    > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > What? Yet another video disk format? Good thing I haven't bought a DVD
    > > player yet.
    > >
    > > I expect that Blu-Ray will come around eventually, but at $2500 for a
    > > computer drive, it'll be a couple of years before there are $50 home
    > > players - but not very long.
    > >
    > Yep. When HP entered the CD-R market in 1995, CD-R speeds were 4x and the
    > price was $1200. I've seen 32x CD-R drives for $5 after rebate. DVD+R 2.4
    > writers were $300 about three years ago. Now, 16x DVD+-RW writers with dual
    > layer write capability will go this holiday season for under $100. It's a
    > rapidly moving market.

    The great thing about all the current DVD drives is that they are
    backwards compatible with CD's. They will still read discs in a format
    that was first introduced over 20 years ago. As I understand it, Blu Ray
    and the other high capacity contenders still use the same size discs as
    CD and DVD so there's no reason why the same player shouldn't play all
    formats in the future.

    Cheers.

    James.

    In article <414992F9.F640A9B3@soc.soton.ac.uk> James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk writes:

    > The great thing about all the current DVD drives is that they are
    > backwards compatible with CD's. They will still read discs in a format
    > that was first introduced over 20 years ago. As I understand it, Blu Ray
    > and the other high capacity contenders still use the same size discs as
    > CD and DVD so there's no reason why the same player shouldn't play all
    > formats in the future.

    Now if only a CD-R drive that's five years old would write on disks
    commonly available today. (Sure, I've found Taiyo Yudens that work
    reliably after a rash of failures with dime-store blanks, but how long
    will they be available?)

    "James Perrett" <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > Glenn Dowdy wrote:
    > >
    > > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > > What? Yet another video disk format? Good thing I haven't bought a DVD
    > > > player yet.
    > > >
    > > > I expect that Blu-Ray will come around eventually, but at $2500 for a
    > > > computer drive, it'll be a couple of years before there are $50 home
    > > > players - but not very long.
    > > >
    > > Yep. When HP entered the CD-R market in 1995, CD-R speeds were 4x and
    the
    > > price was $1200. I've seen 32x CD-R drives for $5 after rebate. DVD+R
    2.4
    > > writers were $300 about three years ago. Now, 16x DVD+-RW writers with
    dual
    > > layer write capability will go this holiday season for under $100. It's
    > > rapidly moving market.
    >
    > The great thing about all the current DVD drives is that they are
    > backwards compatible with CD's. They will still read discs in a format
    > that was first introduced over 20 years ago. As I understand it, Blu Ray
    > and the other high capacity contenders still use the same size discs as
    > CD and DVD so there's no reason why the same player shouldn't play all
    > formats in the future.

    The reason some player in the future won't be backwards compatable with
    current formats is that the consortium can make more money if they make old
    formats obsolete.

    jb

    ..

    "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "James Perrett" <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
    >> Glenn Dowdy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message

    >>> Yep. When HP entered the CD-R market in 1995, CD-R speeds were 4x
    >>> and
    > the
    >>> price was $1200. I've seen 32x CD-R drives for $5 after rebate.
    >>> DVD+R
    > 2.4
    >>> writers were $300 about three years ago. Now, 16x DVD+-RW writers
    >>> with dual layer write capability will go this holiday season for
    >>> under $100. It's
    >>> rapidly moving market.
    >>
    >> The great thing about all the current DVD drives is that they are
    >> backwards compatible with CD's. They will still read discs in a
    >> format that was first introduced over 20 years ago. As I understand
    >> it, Blu Ray and the other high capacity contenders still use the
    >> same size discs as CD and DVD so there's no reason why the same
    >> player shouldn't play all formats in the future.
    >>

    > The reason some player in the future won't be backwards compatable
    > with current formats is that the consortium can make more money if
    > they make old formats obsolete.

    That's balanced by consumer resistance to products that will make old
    formats obsolete without adequate offsetting benefits. There's a great
    object lesson in this fact ongoing before our eyes as SACD and DVD-A
    continue to crash and burn in the marketplace.

    On Sep 14, 2004, Don Cooper <dcooper288000@comcast.net> commented:

    > Did I miss something? I thought Ted Turner bought these films in the
    > '80's, and I assumed that Time Warner bought it all from him.
    >--------------------------------snip----------------------------------<

    Turner opted to keep some of the MGM films, but not all of them. (I believe
    he retained the rights to GONE WITH THE WIND, if memory serves.)

    All the trades have reported that MGM's library added about 4000 films to
    Sony's existing library, so there was still quite a bit that Warner didn't
    own.

    --MFW
    [remove the extra M above for email]

    Marc Wielage wrote:

    > Turner opted to keep some of the MGM films, but not all of them. (I believe
    > he retained the rights to GONE WITH THE WIND, if memory serves.)
    >
    > All the trades have reported that MGM's library added about 4000 films to
    > Sony's existing library, so there was still quite a bit that Warner didn't
    > own.

    Thank you.

    "Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message news:<cK%1d.10748$q25.962@news.cpqcorp.net>...
    > "Jay Kadis" <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote in message
    > > In article <ajW1d.2303$mb6.1043@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > > "anybody-but-bush" <Anybody But Bu$h@YAHOO.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Don Cooper" <dcooper288000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > :
    > > > :
    > > > : hank alrich wrote:
    > > > : >
    > > > : > Excerpt from:
    > > > : >
    > > > : > http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/15/business/media/15sony.html
    > > > : >
    > > > : > The purchase of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer by a group led by Sony will not
    > only
    > > > : > give the company an enormous film library but also considerable
    > power in
    > > > : > its fight to set the format for the next generation of digital video
    > > > : > discs.
    > > > : >
    > > > : > The transition to the new discs, which are not expected to be widely
    > > > : > available until next year at the earliest, could generate billions
    > of
    > > > : > dollars in royalties to the developers of the technology that runs
    > them.
    > > > : > Sony, as part of the Blu-ray Disc Association, a consortium of major
    > > > : > electronics makers, is at the forefront of efforts to develop the
    > new
    > > > : > technological standard.
    > > > :
    > > > Is this going to be another whopping success like SACD and Beta? We need
    > yet
    > > > another video
    > > > format why?
    > > >
    > > > Phil
    > > >

    > > More robust copy protection. (See SACD.)
    > >
    > That, and more room for HD video. The standard DVD disc holds 4.7gb of data;
    > the DVD-9 and new dual layer discs hold 8.7gb. Blu-ray and blu-ray dual
    > layer hold 27gb and ~50gb respectively. Besides, the current technology is
    > pretty much at its limit. 16x writers are already hitting the market, and
    > that's as fast as she goes. We will see improvement to the RW write times
    > and the dual layer write times, probably up to 8x for both. Blu-ray is the
    > future.
    >
    > Glenn D.

    I wonder where the saturation point of all this will be. I see
    somewhere in the future a big crash of the home entertainment market.

    Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

    "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "James Perrett" <James.R.Perrett@soc.soton.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > > Glenn Dowdy wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message

    DVD

    > > > Yep. When HP entered the CD-R market in 1995, CD-R speeds were 4x and
    > the
    > > > price was $1200. I've seen 32x CD-R drives for $5 after rebate. DVD+R
    > 2.4
    > > > writers were $300 about three years ago. Now, 16x DVD+-RW writers with
    > dual
    > > > layer write capability will go this holiday season for under $100.
    It's
    > > > rapidly moving market.
    > >
    > > The great thing about all the current DVD drives is that they are
    > > backwards compatible with CD's. They will still read discs in a format
    > > that was first introduced over 20 years ago. As I understand it, Blu Ray
    > > and the other high capacity contenders still use the same size discs as
    > > CD and DVD so there's no reason why the same player shouldn't play all
    > > formats in the future.
    > >

    > The reason some player in the future won't be backwards compatable with
    > current formats is that the consortium can make more money if they make
    old
    > formats obsolete.

    Blu-ray will be backwards compatible with CD-R and DVDR.

    Glenn D.

    Glenn Dowdy wrote:

    > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> The reason some player in the future won't be backwards compatable with
    >> current formats is that the consortium can make more money if they make
    >> old formats obsolete.
    >

    > Blu-ray will be backwards compatible with CD-R and DVDR.

    Just to clarify:

    Blu-Ray players will play most of the CD* and DVD* discs.

    CD and DVD players will not play Blu-Ray discs.

    Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:

    >> Blu-ray will be backwards compatible with CD-R and DVDR.
    >
    >Just to clarify:
    >
    >Blu-Ray players will play most of the CD* and DVD* discs.
    >
    >CD and DVD players will not play Blu-Ray discs.

    Isn't Blu-Ray one of those Dr. Bronner's snack food products?
    --scott

    "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
    > Glenn Dowdy wrote:
    >
    > > "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> The reason some player in the future won't be backwards compatable with
    > >> current formats is that the consortium can make more money if they make
    > >> old formats obsolete.
    > >

    > > Blu-ray will be backwards compatible with CD-R and DVDR.
    >
    > Just to clarify:
    >
    > Blu-Ray players will play most of the CD* and DVD* discs.
    >
    > CD and DVD players will not play Blu-Ray discs.

    Clarification appreciated.

    Glenn D.

    "Kurt Albershardt" <kurt@nv.net> wrote in message
    > Glenn Dowdy wrote:
    >
    >> "reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> The reason some player in the future won't be backwards compatable
    >>> with current formats is that the consortium can make more money if
    >>> they make old formats obsolete.
    >>

    >> Blu-ray will be backwards compatible with CD-R and DVDR.
    >
    > Just to clarify:

    > Blu-Ray players will play most of the CD* and DVD* discs.

    > CD and DVD players will not play Blu-Ray discs.

    http://www.physicsweb.org/press/7039

    Philips develops all-in-one optical pickup unit for CD, DVD and Blu-ray Disc
    recording and playback

    Arny Krueger wrote:

    > http://www.physicsweb.org/press/7039
    >
    > Philips develops all-in-one optical pickup unit for CD, DVD and Blu-ray Disc
    > recording and playback

    Very cool! Any hints anywhere as to when we can expect to
    see that on the market?

    Bob

    simpler."

    A. Einstein

    "Bob Cain" <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote in message

    > Arny Krueger wrote:
    >

    > > http://www.physicsweb.org/press/7039
    > >
    > > Philips develops all-in-one optical pickup unit for CD, DVD and Blu-ray
    Disc
    > > recording and playback
    >
    > Very cool! Any hints anywhere as to when we can expect to
    > see that on the market?

    No, not yet. There's a lot of behind the scenes work still going on. The
    blank media has to be ready, too, and all of the IP interests served, etc.

    Glenn D.

    Glenn Dowdy wrote:

    > "Bob Cain" <arcane@arcanemethods.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Arny Krueger wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.physicsweb.org/press/7039
    >>>
    >>>Philips develops all-in-one optical pickup unit for CD, DVD and Blu-ray
    >
    > Disc
    >
    >>>recording and playback
    >>
    >>Very cool! Any hints anywhere as to when we can expect to
    >>see that on the market?
    >>

    > No, not yet. There's a lot of behind the scenes work still going on. The
    > blank media has to be ready, too, and all of the IP interests served, etc.

    Actually, I hadn't read far enough into the article. It
    says 2006 but that's pretty broad. Think it could be any
    sooner?

    Bob

    simpler."

    A. Einstein

    > Isn't Blu-Ray one of those Dr. Bronner's snack food products?

    Dr. Bronner's snack food products??? That sounds scary. I thought
    they just sold snake oil.

    Hal Laurent
    Baltimore

    >.. What? Yet another video disk format?

    I told everybody there'd be a new video disk format three years ago when
    movie-swapping began. If swapping can't be slowed down significantly using
    technology, the funding of new motion picture production is likely to
    completely go away.

    --
    Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
    615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

    Hal Laurent <laurent@charm.net> wrote:
    >"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Isn't Blu-Ray one of those Dr. Bronner's snack food products?
    >
    >Dr. Bronner's snack food products??? That sounds scary. I thought
    >they just sold snake oil.

    Their soap used to be great until they reformulated it. The older
    "castille soap for babies" had very low residue and was great for cleaning
    78s, but they have reformulated them all with hemp oil and added some sort
    of scent to the baby soap. The residue level is much higher and they don't
    lather as well in the shower either.

    But in addition to this stuff, Dr. Bronner makes a line of really wretched
    snack foods, sold as HEALTHY HUNZA FOOD. Most health food stores will carry
    the soap, but nobody wants to carry the snack food items.
    --scott

    << If swapping can't be slowed down significantly using
    technology, the funding of new motion picture production is likely to
    completely go away. >>

    Sound vaguely familiar?

    Kevin M. Kelly
    "There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"

Pro Audio Sony Audio Product