Sign in with
Your question

ATI TV Wonder VE issue w/ XP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2002 6:10:09 PM

I have recently purchased my first TV tuner card. I bought the ATI TV Wonder VE. The only problem I have had with it is that every time that you open the TV viewing software, the screen comes up with horizontal lines in it that are bad enough so that you can't see the picture, but sound comes through just fine.

I checked ATI's website and they know that it is a known issue the card has with Windows XP. They suggested using either their 7.6 Beta drivers, or adjusting the color quality from 16 bit to 32 bit or vice versa. Changing the color depth works, but it's a royal pain. Upgrading the drivers haven't made a difference (Yay ATI drivers).

I have an old MSI mobo with the Intel BX chipset, PIII 700 Coppermine 100 FSB, 512MB RAM, WD Caviar 15GB HD, SB Live Value, and a GeForce4 Ti4200 running Windows XP Pro.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it

Update: ATI's 7.6 Beta drivers mentioned earlier no longer work...I've tried reinstalling them, but it's still saying that they aren't installed correctly. Going to go back to the 7.1 drivers

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tru2Chevy on 09/10/02 12:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : ati issue

September 7, 2002 2:42:02 AM

I have been thinking about buying a TV Tuner card for some time now and I while rummaging around a local computer store saw an ATI TV Wonder for what seems like a super price. How much did you pay for your TV Wonder? And is it ... good?
September 9, 2002 2:40:38 PM

I bought my card new from Best Buy a few weeks ago, and I paid $50 up front, and there is a $10 mail in rebate. The cheapest price for it on Pricewatch.com is $48 with shipping included. As far as the quality of the card goes, I haven't been able to really test it yet, because the college I attend has poor picture quality in their cable system. But the card doesn't look any worse than the TVs on campus. The issue that I was talking about is just a driver issue the card has with XP. Hope this helps.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tru2Chevy on 09/10/02 12:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!