Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Anyone tried the demo ?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Memnoch wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:06:03 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:
>
> >Here is another preview that gives some gameplay impressions. Looks
> >intriguing!
> >http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=525732
>
> Judging from the screenshots and the size of the GUI its a console port so as
> third person action games go I'm not keeping my hopes up but it does look
> quite good at least. Playing as multiple characters could be interesting.

Yeah, tried it out. This is a strange one. I don't know about the
console port, it appears to be a PC game intended to be ported to the
consoles. At first the graphics looked crude, but it became apparent
that the graphics are intended to be stylish, not necessarily totally
realisitic. The graphics are actually quite detailed in some areas and
impressive in those areas. The gameplay is more like an RPG than an
action game. The demo is quite short so I didn't even try remapping the
keys to find out if that was possible. The setup is polished and the
demo seemed to be very stable. The controls are pretty different. The
arrow keys control the direction of the character, although not just
forward, side to side and backward, they can tend to change the camera
view depending on the scene and location. The really off the wall
control is the mouse appears to be only to perform actions. Icons pop
up when an action or actions are available and they are animated. You
click and slide your mouse in the direction of the action to perform
it. Takes a little getting used to but not that bad. Hard to make a
call on this one. It does kind of pull you in. The alternate outcomes
aspect of it is very interesting. It might appeal more to RPG or
adventure players though rather than action players.

"rms" wrote in news:59VFe.350$gQ5.80@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> Judging by the game description here this sounds like an
> interesting game. Anyone tried the demo yet?
> http://www.3dgamers.com/games/fahrenheit/
> http://www.atari.com/us/games/indigo_prophecy/pc

I just tried the demo of Farenheit. It's beautiful, both visually and
with regards to the sound. The subject is less beautiful - it starts
with a murder, committed by you right before you get control of the
character. (Under the control of somebody else, or something. There's
something supernatural going on.) Apparently it's supposed to be
mutiple paths to it, but besides getting arrested I only found one
(some subtle variations, but it ended the same). Has anyone found other
endings?

The interface is different. Instead of pointing and clicking, you walk
close to things and get choices of actions to carry out by moving the
mouse as instructed. It sounds stranger than it is. It was pretty
straightforward.

It certainly looks interesting, but there are mentions of action
sequences. I saw none of those in the demo, so I know nothing about the
nature of those. I'll be keeping an eye at the game, but I'll read some
reviews before buying it.

Rikard

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

I read an interview with the developers at Adventure Gamers. Here's a
small excerpt:

LM: Though there are elements of Indigo Prophecy that are clearly
action-oriented, there has not been the level of outcry you would
normally get from within the traditionalist hardcore adventure
community. What do you attribute this acceptance to?

GF: It is an adventure. But this is why we came up with this concept of
interactive drama. Indigo is an adventure game, but you will have to
play through action sequences, though not like in action games. You
play with the same interface, but you really fall within the story. You
are playing the story. Your own character is the story. This is much
stronger than the usual puzzle-styled adventure or shooting games. I
think that everyone can see what this game really is. A brand new
experience, that can appeal to hardcore adventure gamers as well as
more casual gamers, who play action, shooters and adventures.

DC: You like movies? Then if so, you will like Indigo Prophecy. You
like a great story? You will like the game. This isn't like Myst, with
puzzles. It is very simple; you are there immediately. You don't think
about whether it is an adventure or an action game.

Full interview is at:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,554/p,1