Half-Life (original) Help Needed

joel

I am in level 11 (Surface Tension (the really long, difficult one)) past
the point where you blow up a tank with a Gauss Cannon and in the second
level of a building near a storage room door which the Security Guard is
supposed to open for me. However, he doesn'[t, and nothing I do (including
herding him there) seems to encourage him to open the door. I just getted
pissed and end up clobbering him with the crow bar and being stuck. Any
suggestions as to what's going on ?

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:46:28 GMT, "Joel" <joelltzx@hotmailNOSPAMPLEASE.com>
wrote:

> I am in level 11 (Surface Tension (the really long, difficult one)) past
>the point where you blow up a tank with a Gauss Cannon and in the second
>level of a building near a storage room door which the Security Guard is
>supposed to open for me. However, he doesn'[t, and nothing I do (including
>herding him there) seems to encourage him to open the door.

That is not normal for that level, unless you are bringing him any place
other than the security booth next to the main door (which opens a small
door.) The best option is to load from the oldest saved game that you have
(preferably on the oldest level.)

Alterantivly, you can use the noclip cheat. You need to activate the
console - for some strange reason, Valve disabled it by default, making it
impossible to run a listen server for some standard games.

I don't remember the command offhand to enable the console (perhaps
"-hl_console 1" or a variation there of, along with a setting in config.cfg
for those really tough games), but once your in, cheats should work after
enabling sv_cheats.

Be advised that the ending might not work if you cheat - I've been told
that the trigger is within the last three levels, so you should be safe for
now.

Joel wrote:
> I am in level 11 (Surface Tension (the really long, difficult one)) past
> the point where you blow up a tank with a Gauss Cannon and in the second
> level of a building near a storage room door which the Security Guard is
> supposed to open for me. However, he doesn'[t, and nothing I do (including
> herding him there) seems to encourage him to open the door. I just getted
> pissed and end up clobbering him with the crow bar and being stuck. Any
> suggestions as to what's going on ?

I had that happen to me once; I ended up just reverting to an older
saved game, and he behaved normally. However, if I'm remembering
correctly, while getting into that room is nice, it's not essential for
beating the game (unless you're pretty much out of ammo.)

Jud Cohan thought about it a bit, then said...

> Joel wrote:
> > I am in level 11 (Surface Tension (the really long, difficult one)) past
> > the point where you blow up a tank with a Gauss Cannon and in the second
> > level of a building near a storage room door which the Security Guard is
> > supposed to open for me. However, he doesn'[t, and nothing I do (including
> > herding him there) seems to encourage him to open the door. I just getted
> > pissed and end up clobbering him with the crow bar and being stuck. Any
> > suggestions as to what's going on ?
>
> I had that happen to me once; I ended up just reverting to an older
> saved game, and he behaved normally. However, if I'm remembering
> correctly, while getting into that room is nice, it's not essential for
> beating the game (unless you're pretty much out of ammo.)

Yeah, that's the armory. Lots of weapons, but not critical to continuing
the game. (Hint: you're going to have to do some window ledge walking
;-)
--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews