usb ports on westell 6100 modem

Melilam

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Hello,
It seems that the modem has only one usb port, which is for the ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the computer. I need to connect a wireless router to the modem so I can use a laptop in addition to existing desktop. Can we just buy a USB multiport and stick it in the modem's one existing port?

If you’re currently using the USB port as your network connection, and considering adding a USB hub (which is what I think you meant by "USB multiport"), don’t. Frankly, I don’t recommend using the USB connection at all, but if you do, that’s generally intended to support ONE device. So I don’t even think a hub would work. And I’ve never seen a modem that supported both the USB and ethernet port(s) at the same time.

Instead, you should be connecting all your devices via standard ethernet cables, including your wireless router. Stay away from the USB port!

Melilam

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012

Thank you. I simply disconnected the computer from the modem, connected the router to the modem and the computer to the router and everything is working like a charm. Must brush up on my terminology!