Extremely Slow Wireless Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcook813

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
So I recently finished building a new computer and installed an Asus PCE-N10 wireless card. Ever since I've started connecting to the internet, I have been victim of extremely slow connection speeds. A few times, I have tried to diagnose the issue and Windows tells me that "It appears your computer is configured correctly, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding." Other times I don't get the message at all. My wireless router is a DLINK-655, and connects two other laptops, both of which run at speeds of around 15-25mbps, compared to the .5-1 mbps of the desktop. My laptop runs over 14 mbps in the same location as the desktop. I have tried all the ipconfig /release /renew, /dnsflush /dnsregister commands to no avail. I tried to replace the DNS servers with open addresses. I have also tried updating the driver of the wireless card, reinstalling the card, cycling the modem/router, and making sure the IP and DNS addresses are obtained automatically. I've even tried resetting the router. Nothing has worked. What else can I try to resolve this? Could it just be a bad wireless card?

Solution
Couldn't hurt to try the ASUS software. It will install its own driver too. If you accepted the default Windows driver, that sometimes causes problems. Sometimes Windows makes mistakes!
I suppose it's possible you have a bad wireless adapter. Try connecting the desktop to the laptop over wire, then enabling ICS on the laptop's wireless connection to share it w/ the desktop. If your desktop now has good speed, it suggests everything else about your desktop it normal (if it was a firewall that was slowing things down, for example, I would expect it to affect ANY and ALL connections, not just wireless).

I don't know if I'm prepared to say quite that yet. I'd like to see the wireless adapter installed on another machine, if possible, to confirm it. But it certain points the finger at the wireless adapter, and not the PC/OS in general. I suppose it could simply be misconfigured in some fashion too, although there's not much to be configured when it comes to these things.

One other test I'd like to see is running a live Linux CD. Let's see if the same wireless adapter performs as badly in a completely different OS.

mcook813

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
In what way could the card be misconfigured? It detects wireless connections and connects fine. When I installed it, I didn't install the Asus software that came with it. Could that be the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.