Windows Update / system restore problem

sscohen

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
OK here is a problem that has me stumped.

Windows update has found 6 updates to install 2 days ago. These all installed fine on my other computers I built except this one. What happens is it downloads ok and when it goes to install it gets hung up on installing. First noticed it when the computer did not turn off. Says Installing updates 1of 7 do not turn off. The computer was on all night like this. Had to shut it off. Went to install while on it and it gets stuck installing at creating a restore point. Used Task manager to stop it. So I went to system restore to load an older point and it hangs when trying to open it and used TM to stop it.

So this is what I've done so far;
Scanned for virus with McAfee. Shut off McAfee and tried again. Tried installing from safe mode. Tried net stop & start wuauserv from command prompt. Tried system restore from safe mode. Tried using Win 7 disk to repair windows but found no problems. And a bunch of other combinations of above.
So I think there is an issue with system restore. Windows cannot create a restore point to update and I can't get into restore to load an older version.

I have 2 things let to try. First restore an image I created on Saturday by Macrium but that may not work. Second and last resort is re-load Win7 but that would be only last resort.

AMD Phenom II x4 955, 8 GB DDR3, 750GB WD Black, ASUS ATI4850, Win 7 64bit

Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

sscohen

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for your help Gandalf. I restored the image from Saturday and all is well. I don't know what caused this and that bothers me. It's my wife's computer so not much is done on it. Macrium runs weekly so I will always have a recent backup when (not if) it happens again.
Thanks,
Steve

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Sounds like a plan. If you put the Microsoft Update on manual, that should help identify a bad install, assuming that is the cause of the problem.

A suggestion, install CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ (it's free)
This will help keep the temp folders clean. I use it at least once a week and sometime daily to help keep my HDD clean.