Headphone amp

Last response: in Home Audio
September 16, 2004 3:41:49 AM

I'm looking for a headphone amp to be used in a public display where
customers will come up and use existing headphone or plug their personal
headphones in to listen to an audio program. I'm trying to find a unit
that has a single stereo input and two outputs with a single (or
multiple) volume controls. All of the outputs and volume controls need
to be on the same face of the unit.

The Rolls PM52 ergonomically is what I'm looking for, except that it's
not an amp, but a speaker-level tap.

This is going to be used in a commercial environment, so using a
single-output consumer headphone amp with a Y-cable isn't going to work.

Does anyone know of a unit that fits my description? I'm going to be
using many of these, so cost is an issue.

Thanks.
- Dave

More about : headphone amp

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 3:48:58 AM

One more comment - 1/8" output for the headphones is preferable, but not
mandatory.
- Dave

Dave Horoschak wrote:

> I'm looking for a headphone amp to be used in a public display where
> customers will come up and use existing headphone or plug their personal
> headphones in to listen to an audio program. I'm trying to find a unit
> that has a single stereo input and two outputs with a single (or
> multiple) volume controls. All of the outputs and volume controls need
> to be on the same face of the unit.
>
> The Rolls PM52 ergonomically is what I'm looking for, except that it's
> not an amp, but a speaker-level tap.
>
> This is going to be used in a commercial environment, so using a
> single-output consumer headphone amp with a Y-cable isn't going to work.
>
> Does anyone know of a unit that fits my description? I'm going to be
> using many of these, so cost is an issue.
>
> Thanks.
> - Dave
September 16, 2004 1:46:51 PM

In article <_padnSiqIfHjltTcRVn-qg@comcast.com> dth930@comcast.net writes:

> I'm looking for a headphone amp to be used in a public display where
> customers will come up and use existing headphone or plug their personal
> headphones in to listen to an audio program. I'm trying to find a unit
> that has a single stereo input and two outputs with a single (or
> multiple) volume controls. All of the outputs and volume controls need
> to be on the same face of the unit.

I'd recommend the Behringer or Furman headphone amplifier. They have
more than two outputs (four or six as I recall) but they have
individual volume controls and have stereo in/out. They have 1/4"
jacks, but you could plug mini jack adapters into a couple of inputs
and discourage their loss with a dab of super glue.

September 16, 2004 1:53:38 PM

> In article <_padnSiqIfHjltTcRVn-qg@comcast.com> dth930@comcast.net writes:
>
>> I'm looking for a headphone amp to be used in a public display where
>> customers will come up and use existing headphone or plug their personal
>> headphones in to listen to an audio program. I'm trying to find a unit
>> that has a single stereo input and two outputs with a single (or
>> multiple) volume controls. All of the outputs and volume controls need
>> to be on the same face of the unit.
>
> I'd recommend the Behringer or Furman headphone amplifier. They have
> more than two outputs (four or six as I recall) but they have
> individual volume controls and have stereo in/out. They have 1/4"
> jacks, but you could plug mini jack adapters into a couple of inputs
> and discourage their loss with a dab of super glue.

I use that method for singers and pop filters

-hev
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 2:04:51 PM

"Dave Horoschak" <dth930@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:p vGdnULNxrm3kNTcRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> One more comment - 1/8" output for the headphones is preferable, but not
> mandatory.
> - Dave
>

> Dave Horoschak wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a headphone amp to be used in a public display where
> > customers will come up and use existing headphone or plug their personal
> > headphones in to listen to an audio program.

these mount in standard electrical boxes and use standard faceplates (you
might have to file the inside faceplate corners if they are rounded)
http://www.studiohub.com/

http://www.studiohub.com/images/Head.jpg

they can be ordered with 2 types of connector. screw terminals or Ethernet
connector.

they can be daisy chained.

multiple units can be powered from a single wall wart supply.
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 2:59:05 AM

That looks to be about perfect.

Thanks!
- Dave

Tim Perry wrote:

> "Dave Horoschak" <dth930@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p vGdnULNxrm3kNTcRVn-vg@comcast.com...
>
>>One more comment - 1/8" output for the headphones is preferable, but not
>>mandatory.
>> - Dave
>>

>>Dave Horoschak wrote:
>>

>>>I'm looking for a headphone amp to be used in a public display where
>>>customers will come up and use existing headphone or plug their personal
>>>headphones in to listen to an audio program.
>

> these mount in standard electrical boxes and use standard faceplates (you
> might have to file the inside faceplate corners if they are rounded)
> http://www.studiohub.com/
>
> http://www.studiohub.com/images/Head.jpg
>
> they can be ordered with 2 types of connector. screw terminals or Ethernet
> connector.
>
> they can be daisy chained.
>
> multiple units can be powered from a single wall wart supply.

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 8:57:03 PM

"Glenn Dowdy" <glenn.no.dowdy@hpspam.com> wrote in message news:%

>> I use that method for singers and pop filters
>>
> Where do you put the superglue on the singers?

On their lips. Really stops that popping.

geoff
!