How did you partition your drive.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Ok, I'm just sampling you guys since I'm doubting myself. I'm setting up my WD1200JB and want to know how some of you have partitioned your drives. Especially your large drives.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

The_Bear

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
I have the same drive and did not partition it at all. Maybe it's my UNIX background or the fact that NTFS doesn't waste drive space like FAT (I currently use 2000). I have been burned to many times with a full partition in the past. Although Partition Magic can correct this, I have always just managed space using the directory structure.

Bear

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 2 of IBM 60GXP 40G is setup as RAID-0. I used FDisk to divided into 2 parts, 1 Primary partition (C: drive, 40GB) and another is Extended partition. In this extended partition, I also divided into 2 logical drives (drive D and E, 22 and 15GB respectively).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
2 drives:
primary master 80Gb 800JB partitioned 2 ways.
C: - 5Gb NTFS (OS, swap, basic programs), D: 75Gb NTFS (games, utilites, all other programs, raw divx files)

primary master RAID 80Gb D740X, 1 80Gb NTFS partition (mp3's, warez, backup of OS, backups of games/savegames, archived utilities, DIVX, pr0n etc)

<b>Trust Me, Trust Yourself, Trust the Hamster. Anyone else - Shoot Them. :eek: </b> This sig was proudly brought to you by <i>Hammie</i> :smile:

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
I always prefer at least 2 partitions, around 5GB for the OS, and then the rest. Or like a 5-30-30 for bigger drives.
C: is OS
D: is games, program files, ghost image of C
E: is MP3's, movies, other data

And I make all my partitions using part, then I don't have to mess with those crappy extended partitions. Makes things a bit easier to resize later, and they can all be bootable.