Delta Force: Extreme and Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, uni..

Novalogic produced/published both games. Didn't they do Terra Nova? I'm just
wondering if these games have their own engine or use someone else's. I'm
guessing they have their own.

--
there is no .sig
2 answers Last reply

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:16:49 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Novalogic produced/published both games. Didn't they do Terra Nova? I'm just
    >wondering if these games have their own engine or use someone else's. I'm
    >guessing they have their own.

    Novalogic uses their own engine; Delta Force Xtreme uses an updated
    version of the Black Hawk Down engine. They develop their own engines
    in-house. Their first engines were voxel-based and they used these, I
    believe, in ever advanced incarnations through Delta Force 2.

    Terra Nova (and its engine) was developed in-house by Looking Glass
    games. If I recall, it was an highly evolved version of the
    Underworld/System Shock rendering engines, and was used only for that
    game.

    In my opinion, it was -low resolutions aside- one of the finer engines
    of that era and only superseded five or six years later. Aside from
    its large levels with rolling terrain and distant horizon, it also
    boasted reflections, particles and even had a pretty decent physics
    engine. LG managed a minor miracle by focusing on features rather than
    raw pixel count; unfortunately, the blocky graphics turned off many
    players.

    Thus spake Spalls Hurgenson <yoinks@ebalu.com>, Sat, 30 Jul 2005 06:27:00
    GMT, Anno Domini:

    >On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:16:49 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Novalogic produced/published both games. Didn't they do Terra Nova? I'm just
    >>wondering if these games have their own engine or use someone else's. I'm
    >>guessing they have their own.
    >

    >Novalogic uses their own engine; Delta Force Xtreme uses an updated
    >version of the Black Hawk Down engine. They develop their own engines
    >in-house. Their first engines were voxel-based and they used these, I
    >believe, in ever advanced incarnations through Delta Force 2.
    >
    >Terra Nova (and its engine) was developed in-house by Looking Glass
    >games. If I recall, it was an highly evolved version of the
    >Underworld/System Shock rendering engines, and was used only for that
    >game.
    >
    >In my opinion, it was -low resolutions aside- one of the finer engines
    >of that era and only superseded five or six years later. Aside from
    >its large levels with rolling terrain and distant horizon, it also
    >boasted reflections, particles and even had a pretty decent physics
    >engine. LG managed a minor miracle by focusing on features rather than
    >raw pixel count; unfortunately, the blocky graphics turned off many
    >players.

    I'd be interested to know if Terra Nova is abandonware now & whether anyone
    ever upgraded the graphics in any way...?

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

PC gaming Engine Games IBM Video Games