Delta Force: Extreme and Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, uni..

Last response: in Video Games
July 30, 2005 5:16:49 AM

Novalogic produced/published both games. Didn't they do Terra Nova? I'm just
wondering if these games have their own engine or use someone else's. I'm
guessing they have their own.

--
there is no .sig
Anonymous

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:16:49 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:

>Novalogic produced/published both games. Didn't they do Terra Nova? I'm just
>wondering if these games have their own engine or use someone else's. I'm
>guessing they have their own.

Novalogic uses their own engine; Delta Force Xtreme uses an updated
version of the Black Hawk Down engine. They develop their own engines
in-house. Their first engines were voxel-based and they used these, I
believe, in ever advanced incarnations through Delta Force 2.

Terra Nova (and its engine) was developed in-house by Looking Glass
games. If I recall, it was an highly evolved version of the
Underworld/System Shock rendering engines, and was used only for that
game.

In my opinion, it was -low resolutions aside- one of the finer engines
of that era and only superseded five or six years later. Aside from
its large levels with rolling terrain and distant horizon, it also
boasted reflections, particles and even had a pretty decent physics
engine. LG managed a minor miracle by focusing on features rather than
raw pixel count; unfortunately, the blocky graphics turned off many
players.
July 30, 2005 9:47:27 PM

Thus spake Spalls Hurgenson <yoinks@ebalu.com>, Sat, 30 Jul 2005 06:27:00
GMT, Anno Domini:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 01:16:49 GMT, "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>Novalogic produced/published both games. Didn't they do Terra Nova? I'm just
>>wondering if these games have their own engine or use someone else's. I'm
>>guessing they have their own.
>

>Novalogic uses their own engine; Delta Force Xtreme uses an updated
>version of the Black Hawk Down engine. They develop their own engines
>in-house. Their first engines were voxel-based and they used these, I
>believe, in ever advanced incarnations through Delta Force 2.
>
>Terra Nova (and its engine) was developed in-house by Looking Glass
>games. If I recall, it was an highly evolved version of the
>Underworld/System Shock rendering engines, and was used only for that
>game.
>
>In my opinion, it was -low resolutions aside- one of the finer engines
>of that era and only superseded five or six years later. Aside from
>its large levels with rolling terrain and distant horizon, it also
>boasted reflections, particles and even had a pretty decent physics
>engine. LG managed a minor miracle by focusing on features rather than
>raw pixel count; unfortunately, the blocky graphics turned off many
>players.

I'd be interested to know if Terra Nova is abandonware now & whether anyone
ever upgraded the graphics in any way...?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.