Any word on AVP3?

Last response: in Video Games
July 31, 2005 12:17:30 PM

Nearly 4 years ago in late 2001 RTCW and AVP2 were easily my favourite
games and still enjoy playing both often.

I'm surprised an AVP3 game hasn't been released or even announced to be
in production?

Didn't AVP2 do good business? What's the reason for this lack of
interest in producing such a game?

André

More about : word avp3

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 3:01:03 AM

x-no-archive: yes

homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:

> Didn't AVP2 do good business? What's the reason for this lack
> of interest in producing such a game?

with such a high level and widespread piracy in pc games do you
think developers and publishers are motivated to work hard to
then be miserably robbed of there work?

ps: i do hope you own legitimate original units of both previous
avp and also rtcw and you haven't lend copy or give away any one
of them to none of your friends

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

SCARED THE POO POO out of me thatgame did. One mission where i was
running away from the face huggers. To escape one where you where on
the catwalks outside. I had to turn arround and blast them everynow
and again. And i was low on ammo :)

Plus i had NO idea where i was going ABHAHAHAH.

Fun game on Marine. Pred and Alien. Though the Alien was my LEAST Fav.

I have not heard of anything about AVP 3. Would buy it and Also
FreeSpace 3 as well.

Anyone else heard anything.

On 31 Jul 2005 08:17:30 -0700, homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:

>Nearly 4 years ago in late 2001 RTCW and AVP2 were easily my favourite
>games and still enjoy playing both often.
>
>I'm surprised an AVP3 game hasn't been released or even announced to be
>in production?
>
>Didn't AVP2 do good business? What's the reason for this lack of
>interest in producing such a game?
>

>André
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:55:26 AM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 01:55:25 +1000, No One Realy <No one.com> wrote:

>On 31 Jul 2005 08:17:30 -0700, homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>Nearly 4 years ago in late 2001 RTCW and AVP2 were easily my favourite
>>games and still enjoy playing both often.
>>
>>I'm surprised an AVP3 game hasn't been released or even announced to be
>>in production?
>>
>>Didn't AVP2 do good business? What's the reason for this lack of
>>interest in producing such a game?
>

>SCARED THE POO POO out of me thatgame did. One mission where i was
>running away from the face huggers. To escape one where you where on
>the catwalks outside. I had to turn arround and blast them everynow
>and again. And i was low on ammo :)
>
>Plus i had NO idea where i was going ABHAHAHAH.
>
>Fun game on Marine. Pred and Alien. Though the Alien was my LEAST Fav.
>
>I have not heard of anything about AVP 3. Would buy it and Also
>FreeSpace 3 as well.

I preferred the original in some ways to be honest, especially in MP. The
lighting system in the first one just seemed better to me. Coupled with the
fact that you could wipe out all light sources on most levels to leave the
marines shitting bricks was great fun! You just couldn't do that in the
sequel.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:55:27 AM

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 01:55:25 +1000, No One Realy <No one.com> wrote:
>
> >On 31 Jul 2005 08:17:30 -0700, homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
> >

> >>Nearly 4 years ago in late 2001 RTCW and AVP2 were easily my favourite
> >>games and still enjoy playing both often.
> >>
> >>I'm surprised an AVP3 game hasn't been released or even announced to be
> >>in production?
> >>
> >>Didn't AVP2 do good business? What's the reason for this lack of
> >>interest in producing such a game?
> >

> >SCARED THE POO POO out of me thatgame did. One mission where i was
> >running away from the face huggers. To escape one where you where on
> >the catwalks outside. I had to turn arround and blast them everynow
> >and again. And i was low on ammo :)
> >
> >Plus i had NO idea where i was going ABHAHAHAH.
> >
> >Fun game on Marine. Pred and Alien. Though the Alien was my LEAST Fav.
> >
> >I have not heard of anything about AVP 3. Would buy it and Also
> >FreeSpace 3 as well.
>
> I preferred the original in some ways to be honest, especially in MP. The
> lighting system in the first one just seemed better to me. Coupled with
the
> fact that you could wipe out all light sources on most levels to leave the
> marines shitting bricks was great fun! You just couldn't do that in the
> sequel.

/big-evil-grin

yeah, that WAS great - especially during lan parties at night, when you
could hear your mates screaming like little girls and cussing you out
because you dropped from somewhere and scared the bejeezus out of them.

damn, I miss that.
August 1, 2005 6:34:50 AM

>> I preferred the original in some ways to be honest, especially in MP.

Also the gib system and articulated bodies were better in the first. It
was so much fun disabling aliens by shooting off one body part after
another. It had a knife-edge that is lacking in many games. And as you
say, the lighting system is better than in the sequel.

rms
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:43:14 PM

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:

> Didn't AVP2 do good business? What's the reason for this lack of
> interest in producing such a game?

Maybe the movie failed and therefore producers don't like the idea?

August 1, 2005 2:43:15 PM

Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508011042320.10905@localhost:

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Didn't AVP2 do good business? What's the reason for this lack of
>> interest in producing such a game?
>
> Maybe the movie failed and therefore producers don't like the idea?

oh god! the movie was awful, I mean it was painfully bad, it was a shame
because it could have been so much better
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:08:48 PM

> Maybe the movie failed and therefore producers don't like the idea?

The game was so much better than the movie that they should have kept the
game storyline and dropped from the picture all the AvP Wrestling Federation
bulls*it. However, the movie didn't failed, since, IIRC, they are even
working on a sequel.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 5:20:39 AM

The whole Alien/Aliens movie genre should have died off a long time ago. The
sequels to Aliens were so bad. I wish I had asked my money back on at least
two of them...some of the worst movies I've ever seen.

--
there is no .sig
"Vincenzo Beretta" <reckall@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe the movie failed and therefore producers don't like the idea?
>
> The game was so much better than the movie that they should have kept the
> game storyline and dropped from the picture all the AvP Wrestling
> Federation
> bulls*it. However, the movie didn't failed, since, IIRC, they are even
> working on a sequel.

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:28:07 AM

homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
> Nearly 4 years ago in late 2001 RTCW and AVP2 were easily my favourite
> games and still enjoy playing both often.
>
> I'm surprised an AVP3 game hasn't been released or even announced to be
> in production?

AVP2 was a good game, but it could've been much better if it was done
with the Quake3 engine instead of the gawd awful Lithtech engine
(yuck!). I really, really wish they'd do AVP3 using the Doom 3 game
engine. That would be a match made in heaven. I'm already salivating
at the mere thought of the possibilities.

Personally, though, I find the marine part of AvP to be the best part
of these games. The "Alien" part is good for its novelty, and the
"Predator" part is okay. But I feel that the colonial marine campaigns
have always been the star attraction. I wish they'd make a whole game
for colonial marines and drop the "predator" part. They can always do
the "alien" and "predator" things for the expansion.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:32:40 PM

On 2 Aug 2005 03:28:07 -0700, mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com wrote:

>homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Nearly 4 years ago in late 2001 RTCW and AVP2 were easily my favourite
>> games and still enjoy playing both often.
>>
>> I'm surprised an AVP3 game hasn't been released or even announced to be
>> in production?
>>

>AVP2 was a good game, but it could've been much better if it was done
>with the Quake3 engine instead of the gawd awful Lithtech engine
>(yuck!). I really, really wish they'd do AVP3 using the Doom 3 game
>engine. That would be a match made in heaven. I'm already salivating
>at the mere thought of the possibilities.

The same problem happened with the first Jedi Knight sequel. The lightsaber
didn't even generate light in the sequel whereas in Jedi Knight you could use
it as a torch. Lithtech was a poor choice.

>Personally, though, I find the marine part of AvP to be the best part
>of these games. The "Alien" part is good for its novelty, and the
>"Predator" part is okay. But I feel that the colonial marine campaigns
>have always been the star attraction. I wish they'd make a whole game
>for colonial marines and drop the "predator" part. They can always do
>the "alien" and "predator" things for the expansion.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:36:22 AM

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:32:40 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 2 Aug 2005 03:28:07 -0700, mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com wrote:
>

>>homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
>>AVP2 was a good game, but it could've been much better if it was done
>>with the Quake3 engine instead of the gawd awful Lithtech engine
>>(yuck!). I really, really wish they'd do AVP3 using the Doom 3 game
>>engine. That would be a match made in heaven. I'm already salivating
>>at the mere thought of the possibilities.

>The same problem happened with the first Jedi Knight sequel. The lightsaber
>didn't even generate light in the sequel whereas in Jedi Knight you could use
>it as a torch. Lithtech was a poor choice.

I vaguely remember having this discussion before. None of the Dark
Forces / Jedi Knight games used the Lithtech engine.

Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight used LucasArts own
proprietary engines.

Jedi Knight 2 : Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy both used
modified Quake3-engines.

Personally, I vaguely remember that the lightsaber glow in JK2 did
illuminate the area slightly, but I could easily mistaken.

In any event, I didn't have any real problem with AVP2 using the
Lithtech engine; in some respects it was a better choice than the
Quake3 engine as it could render larger outdoor areas better. On the
downside, the Lithtech engine has always been at least half a
generation behind the latest Quake or Unreal engines, so even when
AVP2 was new it looked somewhat dated. My main gripe, visually, with
the game was the weird faces on the characters (especially the eyes).
They looked very similar to the faces used in No One Lives Forever,
but that game was going for a surreal, almost cartoony look that
didn't fit in at all with AVP2.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:23:46 PM

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

> Personally, I vaguely remember that the lightsaber glow in JK2 did
> illuminate the area slightly, but I could easily mistaken.

Probably you had to switch "dynamic lights" on in some option menu or
the game config while it was on as default in the first Jedi Knight. What
I hated even more was that in later games you couldn't fight with the
lightsaber from the first person perspektive any more...

> In any event, I didn't have any real problem with AVP2 using the
> Lithtech engine; in some respects it was a better choice than the
> Quake3 engine as it could render larger outdoor areas better.

I agree. The could have used more destroyable lights though...

> They looked very similar to the faces used in No One Lives Forever,
> but that game was going for a surreal, almost cartoony look that
> didn't fit in at all with AVP2.

You are right here.

August 3, 2005 10:44:20 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 02:36:22 GMT, Spalls Hurgenson <yoinks@ebalu.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:32:40 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2 Aug 2005 03:28:07 -0700, mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>AVP2 was a good game, but it could've been much better if it was done
>>>with the Quake3 engine instead of the gawd awful Lithtech engine
>>>(yuck!). I really, really wish they'd do AVP3 using the Doom 3 game
>>>engine. That would be a match made in heaven. I'm already salivating
>>>at the mere thought of the possibilities.
>
>>The same problem happened with the first Jedi Knight sequel. The lightsaber
>>didn't even generate light in the sequel whereas in Jedi Knight you could use
>>it as a torch. Lithtech was a poor choice.
>
>I vaguely remember having this discussion before. None of the Dark
>Forces / Jedi Knight games used the Lithtech engine.

Probably me as I remember it to now! ;-)

>Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight used LucasArts own
>proprietary engines.
>
>Jedi Knight 2 : Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy both used
>modified Quake3-engines.
>
>Personally, I vaguely remember that the lightsaber glow in JK2 did
>illuminate the area slightly, but I could easily mistaken.
>
>In any event, I didn't have any real problem with AVP2 using the
>Lithtech engine; in some respects it was a better choice than the
>Quake3 engine as it could render larger outdoor areas better.

Oh yes. I remember one of the early Marine levels where you come out of some
kind of shelter and there is a kind of winding path going up and to the right
and in the distance IIRC on top of some kind of natural outcrop or tower you
see one of the lightning flashes from a Predator. That level seemed huge in
hindsight but probably wasn't.

> On the
>downside, the Lithtech engine has always been at least half a
>generation behind the latest Quake or Unreal engines, so even when
>AVP2 was new it looked somewhat dated. My main gripe, visually, with
>the game was the weird faces on the characters (especially the eyes).
>They looked very similar to the faces used in No One Lives Forever,
>but that game was going for a surreal, almost cartoony look that
>didn't fit in at all with AVP2.

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:41:40 PM

I thought the first Jedi Knight game was a custom engine designed in-house?
It was lithtech? I also thought the Jedi Knight game predated lithtech by a
few years.

--
there is no .sig
> On 2 Aug 2005 03:28:07 -0700, mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com wrote:
>

> The same problem happened with the first Jedi Knight sequel. The
> lightsaber
> didn't even generate light in the sequel whereas in Jedi Knight you could
> use
> it as a torch. Lithtech was a poor choice.

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:49:04 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:44:20 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 02:36:22 GMT, Spalls Hurgenson <yoinks@ebalu.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:32:40 GMT, Memnoch
>><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>In any event, I didn't have any real problem with AVP2 using the
>>Lithtech engine; in some respects it was a better choice than the
>>Quake3 engine as it could render larger outdoor areas better.

>Oh yes. I remember one of the early Marine levels where you come out of some
>kind of shelter and there is a kind of winding path going up and to the right
>and in the distance IIRC on top of some kind of natural outcrop or tower you
>see one of the lightning flashes from a Predator. That level seemed huge in
>hindsight but probably wasn't.

I was thinking of the exact same level when I wrote about AVP2 above.
Having just replayed AVP2 (well, the Marine campaign anyway; the
Predator and Alien campaigns held little appeal for me) a few weeks
ago, I can assure you your recollection of the scene isn't that far
off. While the level size isn't on the scale of a modern FPS, it
actually wasn't that small either. That big outdoor "room" first
crosses a pretty large chasm and then there's that winding road you
remember that leads up to a plateau overlooking the canyon. Maybe not
quite on the scale of Unreal (but close), but bigger than anything
Quake3 could do.

Not that AVP2 really used that engine; the majority of the game was a
closed-tunnel shooter. Sadly, the AI was deficient as well, so even
when there was room to move around, there wasn't much point to it.

The way they told the story -and particularly the backstory- was sort
of neat, though.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:01:21 PM

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Doug wrote:

> I thought the first Jedi Knight game was a custom engine designed in-house?

You are right. There never was a Jedi Knight game that used the Lithtech
engine. What I would like to know though, is how close to Lithtech the
F.E.A.R. engine is. After all Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 are still based on
good old Quake as you can clearly see when looking at the configs ;) .

August 5, 2005 6:08:31 PM

mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com thought that a good way to threaten
somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the guy and
hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> Personally, though, I find the marine part of AvP to be the best
> part of these games. The "Alien" part is good for its novelty,
> and the "Predator" part is okay. But I feel that the colonial
> marine campaigns have always been the star attraction. I wish
> they'd make a whole game for colonial marines and drop the
> "predator" part. They can always do the "alien" and "predator"
> things for the expansion.

I loved playing as a predator in the first AvP. The limited battery
with very few recharges lying about made you really think about what
weapon you needed to use. Using the speargun to nail marines' heads
to the wall was a lot of fun, and being stuck in an alien nest while
out of ammo and down to your wristblades was nerve wracking.

The predator in AvP2 was just far too overpowering since you could
fully recharge and heal any place you could rest for ten seconds.

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people

I'll second this. The second AvP ruined the predator, not only in the single
player game, but in multiplayer as well. It made a lot more sense that the
predator couldn't just recharge his power just by pulling out the energy
sift device (which was never seen in ANY movie). The gradual recharge rate
in the original AvP was a much better compromise. I guess this is where
games designers really make a game.

--
there is no .sig
"Ajay Tanwar" <ajtanwar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com thought that a good way to threaten
> somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the guy and
> hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:
>
>> Personally, though, I find the marine part of AvP to be the best
>> part of these games. The "Alien" part is good for its novelty,
>> and the "Predator" part is okay. But I feel that the colonial
>> marine campaigns have always been the star attraction. I wish
>> they'd make a whole game for colonial marines and drop the
>> "predator" part. They can always do the "alien" and "predator"
>> things for the expansion.
>
> I loved playing as a predator in the first AvP. The limited battery
> with very few recharges lying about made you really think about what
> weapon you needed to use. Using the speargun to nail marines' heads
> to the wall was a lot of fun, and being stuck in an alien nest while
> out of ammo and down to your wristblades was nerve wracking.
>
> The predator in AvP2 was just far too overpowering since you could
> fully recharge and heal any place you could rest for ten seconds.
>
> --
> Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
> "Never underestimate the power of stupid people
> in large groups." -Despair.com
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:15:15 PM

Quoth The Raven "Spalls Hurgenson" <yoinks@ebalu.com> in
eqa0f1pnmrh9e5hbmrrmj7ua86ln8gimk9@4ax.com
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:32:40 GMT, Memnoch
> <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2 Aug 2005 03:28:07 -0700, mexican_equivalent@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>homem-da-natureza@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>AVP2 was a good game, but it could've been much better if it was done
>>>with the Quake3 engine instead of the gawd awful Lithtech engine
>>>(yuck!). I really, really wish they'd do AVP3 using the Doom 3 game
>>>engine. That would be a match made in heaven. I'm already
>>>salivating at the mere thought of the possibilities.
>
>>The same problem happened with the first Jedi Knight sequel. The
>>lightsaber didn't even generate light in the sequel whereas in Jedi
>>Knight you could use it as a torch. Lithtech was a poor choice.
>
> I vaguely remember having this discussion before. None of the Dark
> Forces / Jedi Knight games used the Lithtech engine.
>
> Dark Forces and Dark Forces 2 - Jedi Knight used LucasArts own
> proprietary engines.
>
> Jedi Knight 2 : Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy both used
> modified Quake3-engines.
>
> Personally, I vaguely remember that the lightsaber glow in JK2 did
> illuminate the area slightly, but I could easily mistaken.
>
> In any event, I didn't have any real problem with AVP2 using the
> Lithtech engine; in some respects it was a better choice than the
> Quake3 engine as it could render larger outdoor areas better. On the
> downside, the Lithtech engine has always been at least half a
> generation behind the latest Quake or Unreal engines, so even when
> AVP2 was new it looked somewhat dated. My main gripe, visually, with
> the game was the weird faces on the characters (especially the eyes).
> They looked very similar to the faces used in No One Lives Forever,
> but that game was going for a surreal, almost cartoony look that
> didn't fit in at all with AVP2.

what engine will FEAR be in?

--
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:14:32 PM

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message <>
<snip>
> Oh yes. I remember one of the early Marine levels where you come out of
> some
> kind of shelter and there is a kind of winding path going up and to the
> right
> and in the distance IIRC on top of some kind of natural outcrop or tower
> you
> see one of the lightning flashes from a Predator. That level seemed huge
> in
> hindsight but probably wasn't.

Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the base and
pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the alien, palms
sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally look up and realize
the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to the air.
August 9, 2005 8:41:24 PM

"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> wrote in message

> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message <>
> <snip>
>> Oh yes. I remember one of the early Marine levels where you come out of
>> some
>> kind of shelter and there is a kind of winding path going up and to the
>> right
>> and in the distance IIRC on top of some kind of natural outcrop or tower
>> you
>> see one of the lightning flashes from a Predator. That level seemed huge
>> in
>> hindsight but probably wasn't.
>>

> Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the base
> and pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the alien,
> palms sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally look up and
> realize the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to the air.

Remember it well. Loved the game but didn't find it as nerve racking as
playing the original.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:18:07 AM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:41:24 +0100, "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> wrote in message
>>
>> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message <>
>> <snip>
>>> Oh yes. I remember one of the early Marine levels where you come out of
>>> some
>>> kind of shelter and there is a kind of winding path going up and to the
>>> right
>>> and in the distance IIRC on top of some kind of natural outcrop or tower
>>> you
>>> see one of the lightning flashes from a Predator. That level seemed huge
>>> in
>>> hindsight but probably wasn't.
>>>

>> Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the base
>> and pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the alien,
>> palms sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally look up and
>> realize the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to the air.
>>

>Remember it well. Loved the game but didn't find it as nerve racking as
>playing the original.

Especially playing as Alien with all those remote sentrys dotted about. But it
was worth it to hang around in the dark and bite heads off of unsuspecting
marines stalking beneath you.
August 10, 2005 2:21:29 AM

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:41:24 +0100, "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
> wrote:
>

>>"OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>> <>
>>> <snip>
>>>>

>>> Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the base
>>> and pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the alien,
>>> palms sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally look up and
>>> realize the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to the air.
>>>

>>Remember it well. Loved the game but didn't find it as nerve racking as
>>playing the original.
>
> Especially playing as Alien with all those remote sentrys dotted about.
> But it
> was worth it to hang around in the dark and bite heads off of unsuspecting
> marines stalking beneath you.

Yeah, now *that* was one of my favourite ever gaming moments!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:39:44 AM

In article <1123602066.11639.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net>, Shawk
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

> > Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the base
> > and pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the alien,
> > palms sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally look up and
> > realize the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to the air.
> >

> Remember it well. Loved the game but didn't find it as nerve racking as
> playing the original.

well... why shouldn't i play the original, then? meaning, what did
AVP2 have that AVP did not have that I will be disappointed for the
lack?

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

On 2005-08-10, Dan Stephenson <stephedanospam@mac.com> wrote:
> In article <1123602066.11639.0@nnrp-t71-03.news.uk.clara.net>, Shawk
><shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
>> > Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the base
>> > and pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the alien,
>> > palms sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally look up and
>> > realize the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to the air.
>> >

>> Remember it well. Loved the game but didn't find it as nerve racking as
>> playing the original.
>
> well... why shouldn't i play the original, then? meaning, what did
> AVP2 have that AVP did not have that I will be disappointed for the
> lack?

IIRC, AVP2 had unlimited save-anywhere. AVP restricted your saves to 3 per level.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.

Quoth The Raven "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> in
sL3Ke.149612$X76.96816@tornado.texas.rr.com
> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message <> <snip>
>> Oh yes. I remember one of the early Marine levels where you come out
>> of some
>> kind of shelter and there is a kind of winding path going up and to
>> the right
>> and in the distance IIRC on top of some kind of natural outcrop or
>> tower you
>> see one of the lightning flashes from a Predator. That level seemed
>> huge in
>> hindsight but probably wasn't.
>>

> Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the
> base and pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the
> alien, palms sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally
> look up and realize the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to
> the air.

yeah, and what about the level where your walking through corridors opening
bay doors so you can drive through to the next section. suddenly there is a
loud hiss in the roof, a panel flies into your face and a bunch of wires fly
out and there's steam everywhere. my mousing hand (and the rest of me) went
berserk, I mashed all the mouse buttons making the character jump up, firing
rockets into the wall and dropped a grenade. if only I recorded it as a
video, what a death that was!

--
".........." ~ Marcel Marcieu

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
August 10, 2005 2:16:29 PM

On 2005-08-10, Highlandish <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
> Quoth The Raven "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.dogs> in
> sL3Ke.149612$X76.96816@tornado.texas.rr.com
>> "Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in
>> message <> <snip>
>>> Oh yes. I remember one of the early Marine levels where you come out
>>> of some
>>> kind of shelter and there is a kind of winding path going up and to
>>> the right
>>> and in the distance IIRC on top of some kind of natural outcrop or
>>> tower you
>>> see one of the lightning flashes from a Predator. That level seemed
>>> huge in
>>> hindsight but probably wasn't.
>>>

>> Anyone remember the Marine outdoor level where you walk around the
>> base and pick up movement on your scanner, you start scanning for the
>> alien, palms sweating, finger twitching, .... and then you finally
>> look up and realize the scanner is picking up a crane moving due to
>> the air.
>
> yeah, and what about the level where your walking through corridors opening
> bay doors so you can drive through to the next section. suddenly there is a
> loud hiss in the roof, a panel flies into your face and a bunch of wires fly
> out and there's steam everywhere. my mousing hand (and the rest of me) went
> berserk, I mashed all the mouse buttons making the character jump up, firing
> rockets into the wall and dropped a grenade. if only I recorded it as a
> video, what a death that was!

Yeah, the section of pipe had similar curvature to an alien forehead, too. :)
It's a bit like when Ripley jams a stick into that maggoty pipe in Alien3.

--
Toby.
field to circumvent my email filters.
Ignore any mail delivery error.
August 10, 2005 11:25:50 PM

Thus spake "Highlandish" <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au>, Wed, 10 Aug 2005
10:16:28 +1000, Anno Domini:

>yeah, and what about the level where your walking through corridors opening
>bay doors so you can drive through to the next section. suddenly there is a
>loud hiss in the roof, a panel flies into your face and a bunch of wires fly
>out and there's steam everywhere. my mousing hand (and the rest of me) went
>berserk, I mashed all the mouse buttons making the character jump up, firing
>rockets into the wall and dropped a grenade. if only I recorded it as a
>video, what a death that was!

ROFLMAO! That takes me back to Doom's Alien total conversion. On level 2,
when an alien *finally* screeched at me I literally knocked the monitor
backwards (lucky it wedged between the desk & window!) & went flying
backwards *off* my chair! It was late at night, Mrs was asleep & I had the
lights off & sound way up on my headphones, as suggested by the mod author.
Bastard. Mrs came running in with something in her hands iirc. :)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 10, 2005 11:42:50 PM

Quoth The Raven "Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> in
eohjf1lmgsd2valuea8r0g6pg7dp8hf1mb@4ax.com
> ROFLMAO! That takes me back to Doom's Alien total conversion. On
> level 2, when an alien *finally* screeched at me I literally knocked
> the monitor backwards (lucky it wedged between the desk & window!) &
> went flying backwards *off* my chair! It was late at night, Mrs was
> asleep & I had the lights off & sound way up on my headphones, as
> suggested by the mod author. Bastard. Mrs came running in with
> something in her hands iirc. :)

I still have that mod installed and played it again this year with the
OpenGL 3D patch, I had to up the gamma because it was still too scary

--
Rap is to Music, as Etch-A-Sketch is to Art.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
!