I want to upgrade my entire system but not reinstall windows

childofthetao

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Hi, I want to upgrade pretty much my entire system except for my video card and my hard drives, mouse and keyboard. I read somewhere that someone did this, they booted into safe mode, removed all the drivers, upgraded and windows loaded fine, and operated fine.

I really don't want to format my drive.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Buy a external or another HDD and backup your data to the other drive. Reformat and install a fresh OS to go along with the new components.

Just removing drivers in safe mode just scratches the surface of what will be left over from the old system. You'll have a lot of registry gunk left over which will slow your system down.

Plus this way if you ever have a HDD fail on you, you have a backup so you don't lose your data completely.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I have not tried this with Win7, but for WinXP, a "repair install" worked the 2 times I tried it.
But I'm thinking about the sysprep tools that MS offers. They can remove any system-specific settings, but I don't know about user settings (by default user profiles are also removed).

If changing the entire system, I would recommend a clean re-install of the OS. I don't think it'll cause slowdowns, but it might cause some or a lot of files to go corrupt. So just backup important files and then do a reformat.