Asheron

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
My HD produces a noise very similar to a motorcycle going through all its gears:

It is a recurring noise almost like the drive is revving up to a high RPM, then it disappears. 10-15 seconds later, the sound starts at a low/slow frequency and continues to raise in pitch/speed to the same high RPM, then stops again.

I recently added a Western Digital 80G 2mb cache hard disk, and I'm suspecting it is the culprit. Both of my hard disks are performing fine, it's just an annoying noise that I suspect shouldn't be there.

Can anyone provide some insight on this?
Thanks!

Napoleon

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Um, I'm about to ask a stupid question...

Are you <i>sure</i> it's one of your HD's making that noise? Somehow, the symptoms you've described and the fact that both HD's are performing fine don't quite jibe.

Try ejecting your CD's first (leave the tray out) and see if you still got a combustion engine in your computer. If so, check your CPU/case/PSU fans. At least on my rig, I can barely distinguish the HD rotation (7200rpm) and seek noises. On the other hand, CD drives and fans do make themselves heard, loud'n'clear :frown: .

You could also double-check Power Management settings from your BIOS and OS. You might get something like that if HD inactivity shutdown timeout or some such is way too short.

<b>What do you mean, "don't touch that heatsink"? Step aside and let me show you howWAAAAH!!</b>

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I can't here my hard drive unless the case is open and the computer is on its side. On the other hand, I can here my cd roms with the radio going full blast and the air conditioning blowing in my ear. Unless the drive motor or bearings in your new drive are bad, I would think it's something else. Try opening the case and see if you can put a finger on the noise next time it happens.

<font color=blue>GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.</font color=blue>