Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines unofficial patch 1.6!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:55:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;) .

v1.6
----
All dialogues were spellchecked for typos and more by Paul Moloney.
Several mistyped variables found could provide additional dialogues.
Fixed variables in texts of Ash, Bertram, Boris, Venus and Mitnick.
Corrected still not working Hitman quest fix and other related bugs.
Adjusted damage values of Steyr Aug, SWAT rifle and Ithaca shotgun.
Lowered lockpicking skill needed for chemical substances door to 10.
Prevented triggering the building scene before getting Muddy quest.
Made Model Citizen quest show failure directly after leaving Tawni.
Cleared up the log texts of the Muddy quest and Pishas occult quest.
Reconstructed lip-synchro for the misplaced Isaac text moved by Dan.
Re-branded Uzi, Mac 10, Glock 17c, Ithaca and both Remingtons guns.
Fixed double option with wrong link in the dialogue file of LaCroix.
Renamed Purge to Blood Purge and spellchecked all other text files.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:55:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Werner Spahl wrote:
> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;) .
>
> v1.6

-wonderful news! Thank you!

--
Best Regards, mattchu <just finished Bloodlines a few weeks ago>
np:
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:55:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

No sign of the patch on FilePlanet yet - jeez, they must be slow
reviewing it for you, Werner. :) 

I didn't realise that Bloodlines had about 20,000 lines of dialogue, so
I almost bit off more than I could chew! But hopefully it was worth it
in the end. The amount of typoes, especially in the Malkavian
responses, was unbelieveable.

P.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:03:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Nostromo wrote:

> Top work Werner matey!

Thanks!

> Btw, how did you get your hands on the file schemas, or source?

Those were not necessary as dialogues and a lot of other files are plain
text and scripts are done in python. Trial and error provides the rest.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Any advice on how to find it quickly? Isn't fileplanet big...?

- Ron ^*^


Werner Spahl wrote:

> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;) .
>
> v1.6
> ----
> All dialogues were spellchecked for typos and more by Paul Moloney.
> Several mistyped variables found could provide additional dialogues.
> Fixed variables in texts of Ash, Bertram, Boris, Venus and Mitnick.
> Corrected still not working Hitman quest fix and other related bugs.
> Adjusted damage values of Steyr Aug, SWAT rifle and Ithaca shotgun.
> Lowered lockpicking skill needed for chemical substances door to 10.
> Prevented triggering the building scene before getting Muddy quest.
> Made Model Citizen quest show failure directly after leaving Tawni.
> Cleared up the log texts of the Muddy quest and Pishas occult quest.
> Reconstructed lip-synchro for the misplaced Isaac text moved by Dan.
> Re-branded Uzi, Mac 10, Glock 17c, Ithaca and both Remingtons guns.
> Fixed double option with wrong link in the dialogue file of LaCroix.
> Renamed Purge to Blood Purge and spellchecked all other text files.
>
August 3, 2005 11:13:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thus spake Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de>, Wed, 3 Aug 2005
10:55:12 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
>fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
>has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;) .
>
>v1.6
>----
>All dialogues were spellchecked for typos and more by Paul Moloney.
>Several mistyped variables found could provide additional dialogues.
>Fixed variables in texts of Ash, Bertram, Boris, Venus and Mitnick.
>Corrected still not working Hitman quest fix and other related bugs.
>Adjusted damage values of Steyr Aug, SWAT rifle and Ithaca shotgun.
>Lowered lockpicking skill needed for chemical substances door to 10.
>Prevented triggering the building scene before getting Muddy quest.
>Made Model Citizen quest show failure directly after leaving Tawni.
>Cleared up the log texts of the Muddy quest and Pishas occult quest.
>Reconstructed lip-synchro for the misplaced Isaac text moved by Dan.
>Re-branded Uzi, Mac 10, Glock 17c, Ithaca and both Remingtons guns.
>Fixed double option with wrong link in the dialogue file of LaCroix.
>Renamed Purge to Blood Purge and spellchecked all other text files.

Top work Werner matey!

Btw, how did you get your hands on the file schemas, or source?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
August 4, 2005 12:05:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thus spake Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de>, Wed, 3 Aug 2005
12:03:07 +0200, Anno Domini:

>On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Nostromo wrote:
>
>> Top work Werner matey!
>
>Thanks!
>
>> Btw, how did you get your hands on the file schemas, or source?
>
>Those were not necessary as dialogues and a lot of other files are plain
>text and scripts are done in python. Trial and error provides the rest.

Heh, you're a better man that I Mr Spahl! ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 12:59:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
of horrible bugginess when it first came out.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:34:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Joe62 wrote:
> Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
> of horrible bugginess when it first came out.

I found it enjoyable for while it lasted. I just completed it not too
long ago with the last official patch and the unofficial 1.5 patch
provided by the community. I noticed several typos and the text not
always matching what the speaker said, but nothing too glaring.
Towards the end of the game in Chinatown I was unable to complete the
sidequest between the two, old gunmen. From what I've been able to
gather based on a few walk throughs I've done everything correctly but
the game keeps on reporting that both gunmen died. That's funny since
both were breathing and asking me where the key to the money was.. Oh
well. It's a minor sidequest. Otherwise, the game was enjoyable while
it lasted. I'd recommend giving it a go.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:56:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508031049200.1762@localhost...
> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;) .
>


[snipped]

'still playing'? I haven't started yet :) 

--
Derek
August 4, 2005 3:59:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-08-04, Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
> Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
> of horrible bugginess when it first came out.

It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
the hack'n'slash variety.
August 4, 2005 12:03:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:59:29 -0700, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
>of horrible bugginess when it first came out.

I bought it recently and was enjoying it for a few days before GTA:SA
and BF2 arrived.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:05:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Werebat wrote:

> Any advice on how to find it quickly? Isn't fileplanet big...?

Just search for "vtmbup16", but at the moment it seems that it still isn't
available. Sometimes it takes them real long! Any other places where I can
upload it as easily as on fileplanet that are quicker?

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:14:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:

> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
> the hack'n'slash variety.

I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :( . Or are there other
similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all this.

The only other game I can think of at the moment is Boiling Point and this
falls short of Bloodlines regarding everything, especially it's buggyness.
Stalker would be another candidate, when it is ever released. Any others?

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:18:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2005 mattchu.mattchu@gmail.com wrote:

> provided by the community. I noticed several typos and the text not
> always matching what the speaker said, but nothing too glaring.

Paul Moloney got rid of most of the typos for my 1.6 patch, thanks again,
but I don't know if he did much about not matching subtitles...

> Towards the end of the game in Chinatown I was unable to complete the
> sidequest between the two, old gunmen. From what I've been able to

This was my fault and should be corrected in version 1.6. Let's hope we
didn't mess up other similar things while doing the spellcheck...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, freshie wrote:

> broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
> unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in

I agree that the game runs slower than HL2 because of an early Source
engine but with 512 MB RAM it is not much "laggy" anymore on my PC.

> traversing environment, your character will glide for a half-second
> after you've stopped moving in a certain direction. Not all the time,

I've never noticed this. What a system are you running it on?

> Sneaking skill is completely bugged. You can put no skill points into
> the sneaking skill, still be directly in front of an MOB, and he/she
> still won't notice you.

I don't believe this. A lot of people fail the Imalia quest because they
are spotted and this happened to me frequently too. But then sneaking in
the Leopold levels was too easy...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
August 4, 2005 8:44:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-08-04, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:
>
>> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>> the hack'n'slash variety.
>
> I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
> bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
> being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :( . Or are there other
> similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
> and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all this.

From what I can tell the unofficial patches have balancing tweaks
which turns me off. Also, beyond logical quest bugs you also have
issues of performance and the ability of the engine to grind the
average computer into the ground. I still regard that as a bug.
August 4, 2005 8:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-08-04, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, freshie wrote:
>
>> broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
>> unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in
>
> I agree that the game runs slower than HL2 because of an early Source
> engine but with 512 MB RAM it is not much "laggy" anymore on my PC.

I have 2 gigs of ram, 3 ghrt CPU, and a Geforce 6800. I still
get the issue with the sound skipping sometimes. It's just a bad
implementation.

>> Sneaking skill is completely bugged. You can put no skill points into
>> the sneaking skill, still be directly in front of an MOB, and he/she
>> still won't notice you.
>
> I don't believe this. A lot of people fail the Imalia quest because they
> are spotted and this happened to me frequently too. But then sneaking in
> the Leopold levels was too easy...

I think that's the point he's trying to make. AFAIK the Imalia
quest is bugged because the NPCs can spot from the very beginning
if you don't sneak immediately.
August 5, 2005 12:50:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thus spake shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>, Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:59:23 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
>On 2005-08-04, Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
>> Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
>> of horrible bugginess when it first came out.
>
>It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>the hack'n'slash variety.

Fark! How's you sneak past my filter shady? Oops! There it is - only set up
for .rpg. Just changed it to Global - phew! And only one minor bit of BS at
that (compared to your normal major BS of biblical proportions lol!)

*plonk* Take 2! :) ))

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
August 5, 2005 1:54:59 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thus spake Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de>, Thu, 4 Aug 2005
13:20:16 +0200, Anno Domini:

>On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, freshie wrote:
>
>> broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
>> unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in
>
>I agree that the game runs slower than HL2 because of an early Source
>engine but with 512 MB RAM it is not much "laggy" anymore on my PC.

It's absolutely fine with 1Gb too :) 

>> traversing environment, your character will glide for a half-second
>> after you've stopped moving in a certain direction. Not all the time,
>
>I've never noticed this. What a system are you running it on?

This bug seems to be related to running in compatibility mode I think (there
was a thread about it a couple weeks back).

>> Sneaking skill is completely bugged. You can put no skill points into
>> the sneaking skill, still be directly in front of an MOB, and he/she
>> still won't notice you.
>
>I don't believe this. A lot of people fail the Imalia quest because they
>are spotted and this happened to me frequently too. But then sneaking in
>the Leopold levels was too easy...

Who needs to sneak with maxed out Blood Magic, MUHAHA!!! >8^D

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Re: vtmbup16 ....I have just checked every file search site I know off
(V. Many) ...cant find any sign of this at all..
Google knows it not .Fileplanet knows it not.....vtmbup16
luv mouse
@@@@@
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 9:11:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508041006540.9815@localhost...
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:
>
>> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>> the hack'n'slash variety.
>
> I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
> bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
> being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :( . Or are there other
> similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
> and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all this.
>
> The only other game I can think of at the moment is Boiling Point and this
> falls short of Bloodlines regarding everything, especially it's buggyness.
> Stalker would be another candidate, when it is ever released. Any others?

System Shock 2 definitely combined FPS and RPG. Deus Ex did too, but not
quite as much as SS2.

Werner, do you know anything about the scope on the hunting rifle, and why
it jumps around so much I cannot hold a target still in secondary fire
(scoped) mode? Crouching doesn't help. The rifle is steady when not using
the scope, but jumps all over the place in scoped mode.

Someone else suggested to just use melee mode, and that would probably work
better, but I've completed many of the missions using melee skill and I
wanted to try a different way.


-Bill J.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:14:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Bill Jones wrote:

> System Shock 2 definitely combined FPS and RPG. Deus Ex did too, but not
> quite as much as SS2.

I didn't like SS2 as there were no NPCs to interact with and I found the
levels of Deus Ex too dark and boring and too obvious constructed only to
make the several ways approach possible. I did like DX:IW some though...

> Werner, do you know anything about the scope on the hunting rifle, and why
> it jumps around so much I cannot hold a target still in secondary fire

I will look into this for the next patch or even redo 1.6 as it seems to
take fileplanet forever to make it available. Maybe they have lost it?

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:19:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:

> I have 2 gigs of ram, 3 ghrt CPU, and a Geforce 6800. I still
> get the issue with the sound skipping sometimes. It's just a bad
> implementation.

That was the same with HL2 at the beginning, so this was a fault in the
original Source engine. They fixed it for HL2 but at that time Troika was
probably already gone.

> I think that's the point he's trying to make. AFAIK the Imalia
> quest is bugged because the NPCs can spot from the very beginning
> if you don't sneak immediately.

This was another bug I fixed in the last unofficial patch. Imalia and
friend could hear you even before you got the quest, so curious people
visiting that house before got trouble.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:23:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:

> From what I can tell the unofficial patches have balancing tweaks
> which turns me off. Also, beyond logical quest bugs you also have

What do you mean by this?

> issues of performance and the ability of the engine to grind the
> average computer into the ground. I still regard that as a bug.

As posted elsewhere this was a problem of the original Source engine and
Valves responsibility. They never bothered helping Troika patching VTMB
and while I can repair quest bugs etc., this surely is beyond myself ;) !
Still the game is playable on average systems and its gameplay matters.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:24:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Ceowulf wrote:

> Hi Werner, just a quick one, is the 1.5 unofficial patch still required to
> be installed before hand?

No. The 1.6 patch includes the 1.5 patch.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
August 5, 2005 4:58:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 2005-08-05, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:
>
>> From what I can tell the unofficial patches have balancing tweaks
>> which turns me off. Also, beyond logical quest bugs you also have
>
> What do you mean by this?

Didn't you change the damage modifiers for firearms?

> As posted elsewhere this was a problem of the original Source engine and
> Valves responsibility. They never bothered helping Troika patching VTMB
> and while I can repair quest bugs etc., this surely is beyond myself ;) !
> Still the game is playable on average systems and its gameplay matters.

I'm not asking you to just stating that the game is still bugged
despite community efforts such as yours.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 9:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508031049200.1762@localhost...
> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;) .

Hi Werner, just a quick one, is the 1.5 unofficial patch still required to
be installed before hand?

I.e. if I clean install VTB would this be the path I follow for a correctly
running game:

Install VTB
Install Official Patch
Install Unofficial Patch 1.5
Install Unofficial Patch 1.6

TIA!
Ceo-
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 9:39:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508051124290.18563@localhost...
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Ceowulf wrote:
>
>> Hi Werner, just a quick one, is the 1.5 unofficial patch still required
>> to
>> be installed before hand?
>
> No. The 1.6 patch includes the 1.5 patch.

Thankyou very much, look forward to giving it another go!

Ceo-
August 6, 2005 11:57:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:14:01 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>I didn't like SS2 as there were no NPCs to interact with and I found the
>levels of Deus Ex too dark and boring and too obvious constructed only to
>make the several ways approach possible. I did like DX:IW some though...

DE is too dark, yet you seem to love a game always played at night
because you are a vampire?
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 11:57:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:57:10 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:14:01 +0200, Werner Spahl
><spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
>>I didn't like SS2 as there were no NPCs to interact with and I found the
>>levels of Deus Ex too dark and boring and too obvious constructed only to
>>make the several ways approach possible. I did like DX:IW some though...
>
>DE is too dark, yet you seem to love a game always played at night
>because you are a vampire?

Hehe, it would be funny if in VTMB when you upped the gamma your character
screamed in pain and burst into flames. Would've been a nice easter egg.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/
August 6, 2005 10:18:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thus spake Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>, Sat, 06 Aug 2005 07:57:10 +0100,
Anno Domini:

>On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:14:01 +0200, Werner Spahl
><spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
>>I didn't like SS2 as there were no NPCs to interact with and I found the
>>levels of Deus Ex too dark and boring and too obvious constructed only to
>>make the several ways approach possible. I did like DX:IW some though...
>
>DE is too dark, yet you seem to love a game always played at night
>because you are a vampire?

Great lighting engine? ;-p

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Replace 'spamfree' with the other word for 'maze' to reply via email.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:25:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> in
Pine.LNX.4.58.0508041006540.9815@localhost
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:
>
>> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>> the hack'n'slash variety.
>
> I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
> bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
> being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :( . Or are there other
> similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
> and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all
> this.
>
> The only other game I can think of at the moment is Boiling Point and
> this falls short of Bloodlines regarding everything, especially it's
> buggyness. Stalker would be another candidate, when it is ever
> released. Any others?


mount and blade
--
Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
August 7, 2005 7:25:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-08-07, Highlandish <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
> Quoth The Raven "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> in
> Pine.LNX.4.58.0508041006540.9815@localhost
>> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:
>>
>>> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>>> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>>> the hack'n'slash variety.
>>
>> I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
>> bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
>> being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :( . Or are there other
>> similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
>> and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all
>> this.
>>
>> The only other game I can think of at the moment is Boiling Point and
>> this falls short of Bloodlines regarding everything, especially it's
>> buggyness. Stalker would be another candidate, when it is ever
>> released. Any others?
>
>
> mount and blade

It's always nice to see indie games out there but very few have
kept my interest. I think I got more game time out of "King of
Dragon Pass" than any other independantly done game. It's a shape
A Sharp haven't released a sequel. I suspect the economics of it
didn't work out for them.
August 7, 2005 10:49:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 13:47:38 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>Your hardware may be different, probably is.
>Even in games that support gamma adjustment, it may not be enough if the
>monitor is very dark.

But you can hardly blame Deus Ex or any other game if your monitor is
knackered.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 2:37:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> Well it's still horribly buggy. And not just horribly buggy in a few
> broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
> unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in
> traversing environment, your character will glide for a half-second
> after you've stopped moving in a certain direction. Not all the time,
> but still very noticable.

If you set the executable to Window 98 compatible, that should
fix it (worked for me anyway).

Yes, I'll agree though - unless a miracle happens and someone someday
get their hands on the source code and optimises and revamps it, it will
never be an all-round brilliant game. The combat is too stiff and
unbalanced, leading most to just increase their melee skills and hammer
the left mouse button.

And the AI is often woeful, with characters not noticing if you are standing
right next to them.

(Hmm, could it be ported as as mod to Half-Life 2, I wonder?
Something for someone far more skilled than me to think about...)

Where is stands apart for me is in the RPG part of the game. The brilliance
of the game in that respect is enough to make you overlook its other faults.
The characters are great (I mean, the voice of Bender as a pirate-vampire,
how cool is that?) the quests are varied and often surprising and/or funny.
This is not tiresome "collect the +2 sword of Dragonfart and bring to
Princess Weeny, forsooth" territory. I'm not usually even an RPG player; the
last one I played was KotOR, and I drifted away from it after a while.

In some ways, Bloodlines is the complete antithesis to Doom 3, which was
a very slick game, completely optimised and polished, but in the end, with
no "there" there, to quote Gertrude Stein, with its Iron Maiden album-cover
view of darkness and its mannequin-like characters. It's the best rebuttal
there is to is to Carmack's quote that "Story in a game is like a story in a
porn movie".

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"People rarely listen to what I say. I do not expect them to.
One cannot expect dwarves to queue for the rack."
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:53:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <slrndfcl18.2br.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>,
shadows@whitefang.com says...

> It's always nice to see indie games out there but very few have
> kept my interest. I think I got more game time out of "King of
> Dragon Pass" than any other independantly done game. It's a shape
> A Sharp haven't released a sequel. I suspect the economics of it
> didn't work out for them.

From the gamedev newsgroups, if I remember correctly, that was
unfortunately the case.

Spiderweb's Geneforge series have been successful in the CRPG genre.
It's hard to think of others except maybe Fate.

In other genres it's a bit easier because players don't have such a
demand for good graphics, or at least the total necessary graphical
content is more limited.

- Gerry Quinn
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:36:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

> But you can hardly blame Deus Ex or any other game if your monitor is
> knackered.

I didn't mean dark as in "monitor too dark", but dark in "nothing much
interresting to see and hiding this with darkness"...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:40:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:14:01 +0200, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> >I didn't like SS2 as there were no NPCs to interact with and I found the
> >levels of Deus Ex too dark and boring and too obvious constructed only to
> >make the several ways approach possible. I did like DX:IW some though...
>
> DE is too dark, yet you seem to love a game always played at night
> because you are a vampire?

As I said above, it was not only the darkness, but the boring and obvious
constructed design. The Bloodlines maps are beautiful compared to DX!

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
August 8, 2005 8:40:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:40:25 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>As I said above, it was not only the darkness, but the boring and obvious
>constructed design. The Bloodlines maps are beautiful compared to DX!

Yes things look better in Bloodlines, but you would expect them to in
an engine 6 years newer.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:45:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:

> Didn't you change the damage modifiers for firearms?

I think I did, as well as for some melee weapons (e.g. I don't think that
a severed arm should do more damage than a tire iron ;) , but these changes
are so minor that normal players will probably never notice them at all...

> the game is still bugged despite community efforts such as yours.

I'll happily state that Bloodlines is still bugged (just see the list of
things in the readme of my patch, that we can't fix) but you said it was
unplayable buggy and I think most people here agree that this is wrong.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:24:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:40:25 +0200, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> >As I said above, it was not only the darkness, but the boring and obvious
> >constructed design. The Bloodlines maps are beautiful compared to DX!
>
> Yes things look better in Bloodlines, but you would expect them to in
> an engine 6 years newer.

This is not what I meant and you would certainly agree that the Unreal
engine was able to create beautiful levels even at that time. I meant that
the levels of DX looked not like real city blocks but rather than levels
constructed to look similar to city blocks but giving multiple solution
approaches. Bloodlines level look much more natural to me. Or to choose
some other examples, SS2 never felt like the inside of a spaceship to me,
just like a maze for a computer game which is claimed to be a spaceship.

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:01:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Paul Moloney wrote:

>>Well it's still horribly buggy. And not just horribly buggy in a few
>>broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
>>unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in
>>traversing environment, your character will glide for a half-second
>>after you've stopped moving in a certain direction. Not all the time,
>>but still very noticable.
>
>
> If you set the executable to Window 98 compatible, that should
> fix it (worked for me anyway).
>
> Yes, I'll agree though - unless a miracle happens and someone someday
> get their hands on the source code and optimises and revamps it, it will
> never be an all-round brilliant game. The combat is too stiff and
> unbalanced, leading most to just increase their melee skills and hammer
> the left mouse button.
>
> And the AI is often woeful, with characters not noticing if you are standing
> right next to them.
>
> (Hmm, could it be ported as as mod to Half-Life 2, I wonder?
> Something for someone far more skilled than me to think about...)
>
> Where is stands apart for me is in the RPG part of the game. The brilliance
> of the game in that respect is enough to make you overlook its other faults.
> The characters are great (I mean, the voice of Bender as a pirate-vampire,
> how cool is that?) the quests are varied and often surprising and/or funny.
> This is not tiresome "collect the +2 sword of Dragonfart and bring to
> Princess Weeny, forsooth" territory. I'm not usually even an RPG player; the
> last one I played was KotOR, and I drifted away from it after a while.
>
> In some ways, Bloodlines is the complete antithesis to Doom 3, which was
> a very slick game, completely optimised and polished, but in the end, with
> no "there" there, to quote Gertrude Stein, with its Iron Maiden album-cover
> view of darkness and its mannequin-like characters. It's the best rebuttal
> there is to is to Carmack's quote that "Story in a game is like a story in a
> porn movie".

I have to agree with you. A friend of mine just started playing V:tM
and it has been pretty fun discussing it with him as he goes, being
careful not to tip the hand of the game itself. I'm particularly going
to enjoy seeing how long it takes him to figure out the deal with the
Malkavian sisters...

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:14:34 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508031049200.1762@localhost...
> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;) .
>

What happened to the dodge 5 book?
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:21:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Gregory E. Garland wrote:

> What happened to the dodge 5 book?

What about it? I didn't change anything regarding books. Did it disappear?
Can't you read it anymore? Please tell me more so I can look into it...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
!