Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines unofficial patch 1.6!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;).

v1.6
----
All dialogues were spellchecked for typos and more by Paul Moloney.
Several mistyped variables found could provide additional dialogues.
Fixed variables in texts of Ash, Bertram, Boris, Venus and Mitnick.
Corrected still not working Hitman quest fix and other related bugs.
Adjusted damage values of Steyr Aug, SWAT rifle and Ithaca shotgun.
Lowered lockpicking skill needed for chemical substances door to 10.
Prevented triggering the building scene before getting Muddy quest.
Made Model Citizen quest show failure directly after leaving Tawni.
Cleared up the log texts of the Muddy quest and Pishas occult quest.
Reconstructed lip-synchro for the misplaced Isaac text moved by Dan.
Re-branded Uzi, Mac 10, Glock 17c, Ithaca and both Remingtons guns.
Fixed double option with wrong link in the dialogue file of LaCroix.
Renamed Purge to Blood Purge and spellchecked all other text files.

Werner Spahl wrote:
> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;).
>
> v1.6

-wonderful news! Thank you!

--
Best Regards, mattchu <just finished Bloodlines a few weeks ago>
np:

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

No sign of the patch on FilePlanet yet - jeez, they must be slow
reviewing it for you, Werner. :)

I didn't realise that Bloodlines had about 20,000 lines of dialogue, so
I almost bit off more than I could chew! But hopefully it was worth it
in the end. The amount of typoes, especially in the Malkavian

P.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Nostromo wrote:

> Top work Werner matey!

Thanks!

> Btw, how did you get your hands on the file schemas, or source?

Those were not necessary as dialogues and a lot of other files are plain
text and scripts are done in python. Trial and error provides the rest.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Any advice on how to find it quickly? Isn't fileplanet big...?

- Ron ^*^

Werner Spahl wrote:

> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;).
>
> v1.6
> ----
> All dialogues were spellchecked for typos and more by Paul Moloney.
> Several mistyped variables found could provide additional dialogues.
> Fixed variables in texts of Ash, Bertram, Boris, Venus and Mitnick.
> Corrected still not working Hitman quest fix and other related bugs.
> Adjusted damage values of Steyr Aug, SWAT rifle and Ithaca shotgun.
> Lowered lockpicking skill needed for chemical substances door to 10.
> Prevented triggering the building scene before getting Muddy quest.
> Made Model Citizen quest show failure directly after leaving Tawni.
> Cleared up the log texts of the Muddy quest and Pishas occult quest.
> Reconstructed lip-synchro for the misplaced Isaac text moved by Dan.
> Re-branded Uzi, Mac 10, Glock 17c, Ithaca and both Remingtons guns.
> Fixed double option with wrong link in the dialogue file of LaCroix.
> Renamed Purge to Blood Purge and spellchecked all other text files.

nostromo

Thus spake Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de>, Wed, 3 Aug 2005
10:55:12 +0200, Anno Domini:

>Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
>fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
>has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;).
>
>v1.6
>----
>All dialogues were spellchecked for typos and more by Paul Moloney.
>Several mistyped variables found could provide additional dialogues.
>Fixed variables in texts of Ash, Bertram, Boris, Venus and Mitnick.
>Corrected still not working Hitman quest fix and other related bugs.
>Adjusted damage values of Steyr Aug, SWAT rifle and Ithaca shotgun.
>Lowered lockpicking skill needed for chemical substances door to 10.
>Prevented triggering the building scene before getting Muddy quest.
>Made Model Citizen quest show failure directly after leaving Tawni.
>Cleared up the log texts of the Muddy quest and Pishas occult quest.
>Reconstructed lip-synchro for the misplaced Isaac text moved by Dan.
>Re-branded Uzi, Mac 10, Glock 17c, Ithaca and both Remingtons guns.
>Fixed double option with wrong link in the dialogue file of LaCroix.
>Renamed Purge to Blood Purge and spellchecked all other text files.

Top work Werner matey!

Btw, how did you get your hands on the file schemas, or source?

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de>, Wed, 3 Aug 2005
12:03:07 +0200, Anno Domini:

>On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Nostromo wrote:
>
>> Top work Werner matey!
>
>Thanks!
>
>> Btw, how did you get your hands on the file schemas, or source?
>
>Those were not necessary as dialogues and a lot of other files are plain
>text and scripts are done in python. Trial and error provides the rest.

Heh, you're a better man that I Mr Spahl! ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
of horrible bugginess when it first came out.

Joe62 wrote:
> Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
> of horrible bugginess when it first came out.

I found it enjoyable for while it lasted. I just completed it not too
long ago with the last official patch and the unofficial 1.5 patch
provided by the community. I noticed several typos and the text not
always matching what the speaker said, but nothing too glaring.
Towards the end of the game in Chinatown I was unable to complete the
sidequest between the two, old gunmen. From what I've been able to
gather based on a few walk throughs I've done everything correctly but
the game keeps on reporting that both gunmen died. That's funny since
both were breathing and asking me where the key to the money was.. Oh
well. It's a minor sidequest. Otherwise, the game was enjoyable while
it lasted. I'd recommend giving it a go.

--
Best Regards, mattchu
np:

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
> Hi everyone still playing this great game. I uploaded the 1.6 patch to
> fileplanet on monday so it should be available soon. Read below for what
> has been changed. I hope we didn't break much due to the spellchecking ;).

[snipped]

'still playing'? I haven't started yet :)

--
Derek

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
On 2005-08-04, Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
> Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
> of horrible bugginess when it first came out.

It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
the hack'n'slash variety.

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:59:29 -0700, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
>of horrible bugginess when it first came out.

I bought it recently and was enjoying it for a few days before GTA:SA
and BF2 arrived.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Werebat wrote:

> Any advice on how to find it quickly? Isn't fileplanet big...?

Just search for "vtmbup16", but at the moment it seems that it still isn't
available. Sometimes it takes them real long! Any other places where I can
upload it as easily as on fileplanet that are quicker?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:

> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
> the hack'n'slash variety.

I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :(. Or are there other
similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all this.

The only other game I can think of at the moment is Boiling Point and this
falls short of Bloodlines regarding everything, especially it's buggyness.
Stalker would be another candidate, when it is ever released. Any others?

On Thu, 3 Aug 2005 mattchu.mattchu@gmail.com wrote:

> provided by the community. I noticed several typos and the text not
> always matching what the speaker said, but nothing too glaring.

Paul Moloney got rid of most of the typos for my 1.6 patch, thanks again,
but I don't know if he did much about not matching subtitles...

> Towards the end of the game in Chinatown I was unable to complete the
> sidequest between the two, old gunmen. From what I've been able to

This was my fault and should be corrected in version 1.6. Let's hope we
didn't mess up other similar things while doing the spellcheck...

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, freshie wrote:

> broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
> unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in

I agree that the game runs slower than HL2 because of an early Source
engine but with 512 MB RAM it is not much "laggy" anymore on my PC.

> traversing environment, your character will glide for a half-second
> after you've stopped moving in a certain direction. Not all the time,

I've never noticed this. What a system are you running it on?

> Sneaking skill is completely bugged. You can put no skill points into
> the sneaking skill, still be directly in front of an MOB, and he/she
> still won't notice you.

I don't believe this. A lot of people fail the Imalia quest because they
are spotted and this happened to me frequently too. But then sneaking in
the Leopold levels was too easy...

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-08-04, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:
>
>> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>> the hack'n'slash variety.
>
> I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
> bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
> being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :(. Or are there other
> similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
> and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all this.

From what I can tell the unofficial patches have balancing tweaks
which turns me off. Also, beyond logical quest bugs you also have
issues of performance and the ability of the engine to grind the
average computer into the ground. I still regard that as a bug.

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-08-04, Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, freshie wrote:
>
>> broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
>> unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in
>
> I agree that the game runs slower than HL2 because of an early Source
> engine but with 512 MB RAM it is not much "laggy" anymore on my PC.

I have 2 gigs of ram, 3 ghrt CPU, and a Geforce 6800. I still
get the issue with the sound skipping sometimes. It's just a bad
implementation.

>> Sneaking skill is completely bugged. You can put no skill points into
>> the sneaking skill, still be directly in front of an MOB, and he/she
>> still won't notice you.
>
> I don't believe this. A lot of people fail the Imalia quest because they
> are spotted and this happened to me frequently too. But then sneaking in
> the Leopold levels was too easy...

I think that's the point he's trying to make. AFAIK the Imalia
quest is bugged because the NPCs can spot from the very beginning
if you don't sneak immediately.

nostromo

Thus spake shadows <shadows@whitefang.com>, Wed, 03 Aug 2005 23:59:23 -0500,
Anno Domini:

>["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg.]
>On 2005-08-04, Joe62 <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
>> Did this game every become worth playing? I was scared off by reports
>> of horrible bugginess when it first came out.
>
>It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>the hack'n'slash variety.

Fark! How's you sneak past my filter shady? Oops! There it is - only set up
for .rpg. Just changed it to Global - phew! And only one minor bit of BS at
that (compared to your normal major BS of biblical proportions lol!)

*plonk* Take 2! :)))

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

nostromo

Thus spake Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de>, Thu, 4 Aug 2005
13:20:16 +0200, Anno Domini:

>On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, freshie wrote:
>
>> broken quests or typos. But buggy in that the game is largely
>> unoptimized and will be "laggy" in combat mode. And even just in
>
>I agree that the game runs slower than HL2 because of an early Source
>engine but with 512 MB RAM it is not much "laggy" anymore on my PC.

It's absolutely fine with 1Gb too :)

>> traversing environment, your character will glide for a half-second
>> after you've stopped moving in a certain direction. Not all the time,
>
>I've never noticed this. What a system are you running it on?

This bug seems to be related to running in compatibility mode I think (there
was a thread about it a couple weeks back).

>> Sneaking skill is completely bugged. You can put no skill points into
>> the sneaking skill, still be directly in front of an MOB, and he/she
>> still won't notice you.
>
>I don't believe this. A lot of people fail the Imalia quest because they
>are spotted and this happened to me frequently too. But then sneaking in
>the Leopold levels was too easy...

Who needs to sneak with maxed out Blood Magic, MUHAHA!!! >8^D

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Re: vtmbup16 ....I have just checked every file search site I know off
(V. Many) ...cant find any sign of this at all..
Google knows it not .Fileplanet knows it not.....vtmbup16
luv mouse
@@@@@

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:
>
>> It's a buggy underperforming so-so game. The trouble is there
>> really aren't any other decent single player RPGs unless you want
>> the hack'n'slash variety.
>
> I would say that after the unofficial patch 1.6 Bloodlines has no more
> bugs left than every other average shooter. But you are right about it
> being the only decent one combining FPS and RPG :(. Or are there other
> similar hybrids out there that I missed? I wouldn't need the RPG skill
> and point aspect, but I like talking and getting missions and all this.
>
> The only other game I can think of at the moment is Boiling Point and this
> falls short of Bloodlines regarding everything, especially it's buggyness.
> Stalker would be another candidate, when it is ever released. Any others?

System Shock 2 definitely combined FPS and RPG. Deus Ex did too, but not
quite as much as SS2.

Werner, do you know anything about the scope on the hunting rifle, and why
it jumps around so much I cannot hold a target still in secondary fire
(scoped) mode? Crouching doesn't help. The rifle is steady when not using
the scope, but jumps all over the place in scoped mode.

Someone else suggested to just use melee mode, and that would probably work
better, but I've completed many of the missions using melee skill and I
wanted to try a different way.

-Bill J.

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Bill Jones wrote:

> System Shock 2 definitely combined FPS and RPG. Deus Ex did too, but not
> quite as much as SS2.

I didn't like SS2 as there were no NPCs to interact with and I found the
levels of Deus Ex too dark and boring and too obvious constructed only to
make the several ways approach possible. I did like DX:IW some though...

> Werner, do you know anything about the scope on the hunting rifle, and why
> it jumps around so much I cannot hold a target still in secondary fire

I will look into this for the next patch or even redo 1.6 as it seems to
take fileplanet forever to make it available. Maybe they have lost it?

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:

> I have 2 gigs of ram, 3 ghrt CPU, and a Geforce 6800. I still
> get the issue with the sound skipping sometimes. It's just a bad
> implementation.

That was the same with HL2 at the beginning, so this was a fault in the
original Source engine. They fixed it for HL2 but at that time Troika was
probably already gone.

> I think that's the point he's trying to make. AFAIK the Imalia
> quest is bugged because the NPCs can spot from the very beginning
> if you don't sneak immediately.

This was another bug I fixed in the last unofficial patch. Imalia and
friend could hear you even before you got the quest, so curious people
visiting that house before got trouble.

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, shadows wrote:

> From what I can tell the unofficial patches have balancing tweaks
> which turns me off. Also, beyond logical quest bugs you also have

What do you mean by this?

> issues of performance and the ability of the engine to grind the
> average computer into the ground. I still regard that as a bug.

As posted elsewhere this was a problem of the original Source engine and
Valves responsibility. They never bothered helping Troika patching VTMB
and while I can repair quest bugs etc., this surely is beyond myself ;)!
Still the game is playable on average systems and its gameplay matters.