Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP: Using Timeport 250 phone as modem Under Windows XP

Last response: in Brands
Share
August 6, 2004 2:04:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Hi there,

I have an irda capable laptop running Win XP and a Motorola Timeport
250 phone which is also irda capable.

It should be possible to set the computer up to use the Timeport as a
modem, and I have managed to get it to work a couple of times (by
sheer luck), but most of the time windows complains that the modem
isn't responding or that it gets no dial tone or some other error
message.

So can anyone talk me through the process of setting the thing up to
work reliably? What needs to be done at the computer end of things and
do I have to do anything on the phone other than "activate IR"?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Ric.

ps the phone used to go from "Activating, Cancel?" to "Activated"
fairly quickly. Now it just sits at "Activating, Cancel?" for ages. Is
it the phone at fault rather than just the coputer setup? The computer
still does recognise that there is a Timeport within IR range...

--
The e-mail address above is a spamtrap. Please just reply to the
group.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 9:26:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Ricky wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have an irda capable laptop running Win XP and a Motorola Timeport
> 250 phone which is also irda capable.
>
> It should be possible to set the computer up to use the Timeport as a
> modem, and I have managed to get it to work a couple of times (by
> sheer luck), but most of the time windows complains that the modem
> isn't responding or that it gets no dial tone or some other error
> message.

If you can get ahold of a Motorola GPRS manager software especially
configured for your phone, you can use your phone as a modem without
dialing in. It pretty much works almost like a Wifi signal, except that
it's kinda slow.

The good thing about this is that it's almost free. The reason I say
"almost" is that I think you need to have the T-ZONES service from
T-Mobile to be able to get an internet connection. It's only 4.99, so I
think it's worth it.

Then again, I could be wrong. It's possible that every T-Mobile phone
has a GPRS signal, even without an internet subscription. I'm not
really sure.

Here's a link to the cable/software:
http://www.atbatt.com/getItem.cfm?ItemID=4223&AffID=200...


-Naz


>
> So can anyone talk me through the process of setting the thing up to
> work reliably? What needs to be done at the computer end of things and
> do I have to do anything on the phone other than "activate IR"?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ric.
>
> ps the phone used to go from "Activating, Cancel?" to "Activated"
> fairly quickly. Now it just sits at "Activating, Cancel?" for ages. Is
> it the phone at fault rather than just the coputer setup? The computer
> still does recognise that there is a Timeport within IR range...
>
> --
> The e-mail address above is a spamtrap. Please just reply to the
> group.
Anonymous
August 6, 2004 10:28:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Ricky wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have an irda capable laptop running Win XP and a Motorola Timeport
> 250 phone which is also irda capable.
>
Last time I tried with a T250 (a couple of years ago) I seem to recall I
gave up!

No chance you can do an upgrade to another phone or find a newer 'old'
one someone can donate?
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 3:36:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:26:52 -0400, Naz Reyes <naz@american.edu> wrote:
>
>Ricky wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have an irda capable laptop running Win XP and a Motorola Timeport
>> 250 phone which is also irda capable.

[snip]

>If you can get ahold of a Motorola GPRS manager software especially
>configured for your phone, you can use your phone as a modem without
>dialing in. It pretty much works almost like a Wifi signal, except that
>it's kinda slow.

The T250 doesn't do GPRS. The 280 does, though.

Although the PCC9050 data cable runs the phone as an external winmodem (a
horrible hack!), when used through IR it acts as a standard hardware modem
on an IR COM port.

So (and I've never tried this in XP) all you should have to do is set up
an IR COM port and things /should/ work. Configure it as a generic
14400bps modem, if you can't find a generic 9600bps modem setting.

It certainly didn't need anything fancy aside from the basic IR stack in
Windows 95 or Linux.

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani MailStripper -- www.eridani.co.uk/MailStripper -- Uncovers Everything!
Second Number -- http://secondnumber.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
!