DARK MESSIAH OF MIGHT & MAGIC announced

Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

UBISOFT ANNOUNCES DARK MESSIAH OF MIGHT & MAGIC

New Might & Magic game to be powered by SourceT Engine from Valve
SAN FRANCISCO - AUGUST 4, 2005 - Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest
video game publishers, announces the development of Dark MessiahT of Might &
Magic, a new first-person action game for the PC, powered by an enhanced
version of the SourceT Engine, the award-winning game technology Valve
created to power Half-Life 2.

Developed by Arkane Studios, the team behind the critically acclaimed Arx
Fatalis game, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic puts players in a first-person
perspective, allowing them to immerse themselves in the legendary Might and
Magic universe as never before. It is also the world's first fantasy action
game to feature a complete first-person combat system. It takes full
advantage of the SourceT Engine's exceptional technological enhancements in
areas such as character animation, advanced AI, real-world physics and
shader-based rendering.

Ubisoft acquired the Might and Magic brand in 2003, and Dark Messiah of
Might & Magic is the second title Ubisoft will be launching as it restores
this famed franchise to glory. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is scheduled
for a summer 2006 release and will be shown for the first time at the Games
Convention in Germany on August 17, 2005.

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=9039
http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/639/639094p1.html
http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1123181940.1861.html
http://pc.ign.com/articles/639/639039p1.html
17 answers Last reply
More about dark messiah magic announced
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    <Highlander> wrote in message
    > Dark Messiah of Might & Magic puts players in a first-person
    > perspective, allowing them to immerse themselves in the legendary Might
    and
    > Magic universe as never before.

    Actually... I think we've done that 9 times before. 10 if you count LOMM.

    > It is also the world's first fantasy action
    > game to feature a complete first-person combat system.

    Fantasy action? Is this gonna be FPS Diablo then? Well, actually... that
    might work.

    Glad to see that Ubisoft is doing something with the license, at least.

    U¿ytkownik <Highlander> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci

    > Magic, a new first-person action game for the PC, powered by an enhanced

    NTG :)

    M.

    so is this the end of CRPGs?
    I just refuse to believe it. Why do I have to have spider-like
    reflexes if I want to play a RPG? It's contradictory, in an RPG by
    definition it is your character who knows how to fight and cast spells,
    if he has good stats or the opponent has low armor/defense, then my
    character swings and hits, not me as the player.
    If I want action, I'll go play Quake, thanks.

    wolfing wrote:
    > so is this the end of CRPGs?
    > I just refuse to believe it. Why do I have to have spider-like
    > reflexes if I want to play a RPG? It's contradictory, in an RPG by
    > definition it is your character who knows how to fight and cast spells,
    > if he has good stats or the opponent has low armor/defense, then my
    > character swings and hits, not me as the player.

    >From what I could tell from reading the press release, this new M&M
    game isn't really an RPG. It's probably mostly an action game, with
    maybe a few RPG-like mechanics thrown in.

    Note how they are NOT calling it "Might & Magic X". Essentially they
    are acknowledging that this is NOT a true followup to the RPG
    franchise.

    This isn't the first time the the M&M franchise has had a "spin-off"
    that doesn't really tie into the RPG series. Maybe we'll actually see
    MM10 some day, hopefully.

    > If I want action, I'll go play Quake, thanks.

    Quake? Why play that tired old game when there's so many newer, much
    cooler action games?

    --
    Knight37
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    <Highlander> wrote in message

    > UBISOFT ANNOUNCES DARK MESSIAH OF MIGHT & MAGIC
    >
    > New Might & Magic game to be powered by SourceT Engine from Valve
    > SAN FRANCISCO - AUGUST 4, 2005 - Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest
    > video game publishers, announces the development of Dark MessiahT of Might
    > &
    > Magic, a new first-person action game for the PC, powered by an enhanced
    > version of the SourceT Engine, the award-winning game technology Valve
    > created to power Half-Life 2.
    >
    > Developed by Arkane Studios, the team behind the critically acclaimed Arx
    > Fatalis game, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic puts players in a first-person
    > perspective, allowing them to immerse themselves in the legendary Might
    > and
    > Magic universe as never before. It is also the world's first fantasy
    > action
    > game to feature a complete first-person combat system. It takes full
    > advantage of the SourceT Engine's exceptional technological enhancements
    > in
    > areas such as character animation, advanced AI, real-world physics and
    > shader-based rendering.
    >
    > Ubisoft acquired the Might and Magic brand in 2003, and Dark Messiah of
    > Might & Magic is the second title Ubisoft will be launching as it restores
    > this famed franchise to glory. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is scheduled
    > for a summer 2006 release and will be shown for the first time at the
    > Games
    > Convention in Germany on August 17, 2005.
    >

    > http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=9039
    > http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/639/639094p1.html
    > http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1123181940.1861.html
    > http://pc.ign.com/articles/639/639039p1.html

    Does this mean another Valve\Steam rip off ??

    Regards
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <dcvcb5$2j8$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>,
    terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk says...

    > Does this mean another Valve\Steam rip off ??

    I'm sure you will get a genuine subscription to Steam...

    - Gerry Quinn

    because after playing it I realized I don't like the shooter games :)
    Sure I've tried several after that, like Half Life, NoLF, Doom 3, etc.
    But the whole thing I just don't like that much.

    Now, Heroes of Might & Magic 5 *salivates*
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 10:42:49 +0100, "Terry"
    <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >Does this mean another Valve\Steam rip off ??

    No, just more completely clueless rants by you and SK.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    \<Highlander> wrote:

    >UBISOFT ANNOUNCES DARK MESSIAH OF MIGHT & MAGIC
    >
    >New Might & Magic game to be powered by SourceT Engine from Valve
    >SAN FRANCISCO - AUGUST 4, 2005 - Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest
    >video game publishers, announces the development of Dark MessiahT of Might &
    >Magic, a new first-person action game for the PC, powered by an enhanced
    >version of the SourceT Engine, the award-winning game technology Valve
    >created to power Half-Life 2.
    >
    >Developed by Arkane Studios, the team behind the critically acclaimed Arx
    >Fatalis game, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic puts players in a first-person
    >perspective, allowing them to immerse themselves in the legendary Might and
    >Magic universe as never before. It is also the world's first fantasy action
    >game to feature a complete first-person combat system.

    Eh?

    >It takes full
    >advantage of the SourceT Engine's exceptional technological enhancements in
    >areas such as character animation, advanced AI, real-world physics and
    >shader-based rendering.
    >
    >Ubisoft acquired the Might and Magic brand in 2003, and Dark Messiah of
    >Might & Magic is the second title Ubisoft will be launching as it restores
    >this famed franchise to glory. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is scheduled
    >for a summer 2006 release and will be shown for the first time at the Games
    >Convention in Germany on August 17, 2005.
    >

    >http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=9039
    >http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/639/639094p1.html
    >http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1123181940.1861.html
    >http://pc.ign.com/articles/639/639039p1.html

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Terry wrote:

    > Does this mean another Valve\Steam rip off ??

    Not necessary. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines uses the Source engine
    too and has nothing to do with Steam...

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Terry wrote:
    >
    >> Does this mean another Valve\Steam rip off ??
    >
    > Not necessary. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines uses the Source engine
    > too and has nothing to do with Steam...

    ok. I spotted the word Valve and the alarm bells rang.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Highlander wrote:
    > UBISOFT ANNOUNCES DARK MESSIAH OF MIGHT & MAGIC
    >
    > New Might & Magic game to be powered by SourceT Engine from Valve
    > SAN FRANCISCO - AUGUST 4, 2005 - Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest
    > video game publishers, announces the development of Dark Messiah of Might &
    > Magic, a new first-person action game for the PC...

    I have to say I'm disappointed. M&M 6 and 7 are two of my
    favorite RPG's, but this sounds like it's going to be an
    action game instead of an RPG.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:17:26 GMT, djin <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I have to say I'm disappointed. M&M 6 and 7 are two of my
    >favorite RPG's, but this sounds like it's going to be an
    >action game instead of an RPG.

    Might and Magic 3 was the first major rpg I played. 4 and 5 were great
    but I was overwhelmed by the monotony of 6. Way to many enemies,
    underpowered weapons, and not as many enemy types(compared to 3-5)
    just made the game a chore to play through.

    Dark Messiah sounds a lot like Heretic.

    Thus spake djin <nospam@nospam.com>, Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:17:26 GMT, Anno
    Domini:

    >Highlander wrote:
    >> UBISOFT ANNOUNCES DARK MESSIAH OF MIGHT & MAGIC
    >>
    >> New Might & Magic game to be powered by SourceT Engine from Valve
    >> SAN FRANCISCO - AUGUST 4, 2005 - Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest
    >> video game publishers, announces the development of Dark Messiah of Might &
    >> Magic, a new first-person action game for the PC...
    >

    >I have to say I'm disappointed. M&M 6 and 7 are two of my
    >favorite RPG's, but this sounds like it's going to be an
    >action game instead of an RPG.

    Ummm...hate to break it to ya, but that's all I ever saw in MM6 - action
    wrapped up in cardboard console roleplaying. To each their own I guess...;-)

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > Does this mean another Valve\Steam rip off ??
    >
    > Regards

    It ain't rip off untill you bought it.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

    "wolfing" <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > because after playing it I realized I don't like the shooter games :)
    > Sure I've tried several after that, like Half Life, NoLF, Doom 3, etc.
    > But the whole thing I just don't like that much.

    I recommend Farcry -- it's fun untill you meet the "Super soldiers", and it
    looks great on a super-duper display card (no, "it" is not refering to the
    "super soldiers")
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.ibm.pc.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:19:33 -0500, <Highlander> wrote:

    ooh i just made a dark mess in my pantalons.

    >UBISOFT ANNOUNCES DARK MESSIAH OF MIGHT & MAGIC
    >
    >New Might & Magic game to be powered by SourceT Engine from Valve
    >SAN FRANCISCO - AUGUST 4, 2005 - Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest
    >video game publishers, announces the development of Dark MessiahT of Might &
    >Magic, a new first-person action game for the PC, powered by an enhanced
    >version of the SourceT Engine, the award-winning game technology Valve
    >created to power Half-Life 2.
    >
    >Developed by Arkane Studios, the team behind the critically acclaimed Arx
    >Fatalis game, Dark Messiah of Might & Magic puts players in a first-person
    >perspective, allowing them to immerse themselves in the legendary Might and
    >Magic universe as never before. It is also the world's first fantasy action
    >game to feature a complete first-person combat system. It takes full
    >advantage of the SourceT Engine's exceptional technological enhancements in
    >areas such as character animation, advanced AI, real-world physics and
    >shader-based rendering.
    >
    >Ubisoft acquired the Might and Magic brand in 2003, and Dark Messiah of
    >Might & Magic is the second title Ubisoft will be launching as it restores
    >this famed franchise to glory. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is scheduled
    >for a summer 2006 release and will be shown for the first time at the Games
    >Convention in Germany on August 17, 2005.
    >

    >http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=9039
    >http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/639/639094p1.html
    >http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media2/1123181940.1861.html
    >http://pc.ign.com/articles/639/639039p1.html