So how is the FEAR demo ?

BillL wrote:

- no Far Cry wondering
> off to your hearts content.

Why on earth do people continue to dredge up this abysmal game?

The nerve to also mention it in the same sentence as the superb and
all-conquering HL2 sickens me to my stomach.

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?

Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?

P.

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>
>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>
>P.

I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from

http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz/content/p/8/1121858/fear_spdemo_en.exe

Try this

http://www.filerush.com/

John Lewis wrote:

> A strong laxative is recommended... the stronger the better...........
>
> John Lewis

Ah Mr. Lewis...

BillL wrote:

> Like it very much, very atmospheric and ditto with the 'bullet' time. The
> way the bad guys jump over objects to get to you is something new and there
> are some moments (e.g. when you're climbing down a ladder and the creepy
> girl appears) which were genuinely creepy. There are some bad points, its
> too dark in places (~ Doom3) and I can't choose the native resolution
> (1280x1024) of my 17" LCD.

Don't seem to be any widescreen resolutions in the demo, either, which
is a shame, as I've got my PC connected up to my TV. I could have missed
a setting, though, as I only had a quick look after deciding to leave
everything on the defaults before changing any settings.

> It seems to run OK on my system (A64 3200+, PNY 6800GT, 2GB RAM) certainly
> didn't experience any major slowdowns. (I'm not sure if F.E.A.R. requires
> more than a Gig of RAM this was to make sure BF2 ran smoothly).

I left the game on the default settings it chose for me (800x600, didn't
check exact settings but it looked very nice) and it ran absolutely fine
on my system (A64 3000+, 9800 Pro, 1GB RAM).

> From what I've seen so far it'll be a better experience than Doom3 and on a
> par with HL2. I think it will be quite linear though - no Far Cry wondering
> off to your hearts content. Well it *is* an office block and not a tropical
> island ;o).

I'm one of those freaks who loved Doom3 (and Half-Life 2, but that's
less freakish) and my impressions of the FEAR demo are very good indeed.
As you say, great firefights. My only concern is that it followed a very
obvious pattern of spooky/shooty/spooky/shooty, which could take away
some of the fear and suspense. Not sure how they could do anything
different, mind, and it does do both things very well.

> On the whole a big thumbs up.

From me, too.

And it didn't crash once in the whole 45 minutes I played which is
pleasing as my PC is stable as anything with some games (Doom3, HL2) but
hates others (Far Cry, WoW).

"The Rev" <the_rev_yes_really@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> BillL wrote:
>
>> Like it very much, very atmospheric and ditto with the 'bullet' time. The
>> way the bad guys jump over objects to get to you is something new and
>> there are some moments (e.g. when you're climbing down a ladder and the
>> creepy girl appears) which were genuinely creepy. There are some bad
>> points, its too dark in places (~ Doom3) and I can't choose the native
>> resolution (1280x1024) of my 17" LCD.
>
> Don't seem to be any widescreen resolutions in the demo, either, which is
> a shame, as I've got my PC connected up to my TV. I could have missed a
> setting, though, as I only had a quick look after deciding to leave
> everything on the defaults before changing any settings.
>
>> It seems to run OK on my system (A64 3200+, PNY 6800GT, 2GB RAM)
>> certainly didn't experience any major slowdowns. (I'm not sure if
>> F.E.A.R. requires more than a Gig of RAM this was to make sure BF2 ran
>> smoothly).
>
> I left the game on the default settings it chose for me (800x600, didn't
> check exact settings but it looked very nice) and it ran absolutely fine
> on my system (A64 3000+, 9800 Pro, 1GB RAM).
>
>> From what I've seen so far it'll be a better experience than Doom3 and on
>> a par with HL2. I think it will be quite linear though - no Far Cry
>> wondering off to your hearts content. Well it *is* an office block and
>> not a tropical island ;o).
>
> I'm one of those freaks who loved Doom3 (and Half-Life 2, but that's less
> freakish) and my impressions of the FEAR demo are very good indeed. As you
> say, great firefights. My only concern is that it followed a very obvious
> pattern of spooky/shooty/spooky/shooty, which could take away some of the
> fear and suspense. Not sure how they could do anything different, mind,
> and it does do both things very well.
>
>> On the whole a big thumbs up.
>
> From me, too.
>
> And it didn't crash once in the whole 45 minutes I played which is
> pleasing as my PC is stable as anything with some games (Doom3, HL2) but
> hates others (Far Cry, WoW).

Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the demo it
says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level. Will the
install process just ignore this if I answer yes?
_Fred

Frederick Pileggi wrote:

> Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the demo it
> says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level. Will the
> install process just ignore this if I answer yes?

So was I and it still made me reboot after install, so I don't know what
it actually did. But my PC still seems to be working, so I guess it's safe.

> Frederick Pileggi wrote:
>>
>> Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the demo
>> it says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level. Will
>> the install process just ignore this if I answer yes?
>
> So was I and it still made me reboot after install, so I don't know what
> it actually did. But my PC still seems to be working, so I guess it's
> safe.

Thanks!

Thanks for the heads-up Hulker. Got the demo pretty fast from that link...

--
there is no .sig
"Hulker69" <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
> <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>>
>>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>>
>>P.
>>

> I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>
> http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz/content/p/8/1121858/fear_spdemo_en.exe
>
> Try this

It just ran OK on your rig? That's depressing news for me, my mobile athlon
(@2550) and my 9800 Pro. Guess I'll have to take a pass on this game...

--
there is no .sig
"BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
>
> It seems to run OK on my system (A64 3200+, PNY 6800GT, 2GB RAM) certainly
> didn't experience any major slowdowns. (I'm not sure if F.E.A.R. requires
> more than a Gig of RAM this was to make sure BF2 ran smoothly).
>
> From what I've seen so far it'll be a better experience than Doom3 and on
> a par with HL2. I think it will be quite linear though - no Far Cry
> wondering off to your hearts content. Well it *is* an office block and not
> a tropical island ;o).
>
> On the whole a big thumbs up.
>
> BillL

shawk

"Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "The Rev" <the_rev_yes_really@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Frederick Pileggi wrote:
>>>
>>> Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the
>>> demo it says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level.
>>> Will the install process just ignore this if I answer yes?
>>
>> So was I and it still made me reboot after install, so I don't know what
>> it actually did. But my PC still seems to be working, so I guess it's
>> safe.
>
> Thanks!

Read somewhere that DX9.0C was updated in April but cant find the article.
I'd have thought they'd have changed the name if that was so to ...erm... oh
I dunno,... something like DX9.0D? If I turn up the article I read I'll
post it...... I dont *think* I dreamt it...

On 5 Aug 2005 20:08:22 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

>BillL wrote:
>
> - no Far Cry wondering
>> off to your hearts content.
>
>Why on earth do people continue to dredge up this abysmal game?
>
>The nerve to also mention it in the same sentence as the superb and
>all-conquering HL2 sickens me to my stomach.

A strong laxative is recommended... the stronger the better...........

John Lewis

Amazingly enough, I could play it with all details set to highest on my
cruddy Mobile Athlon 2500Mhz, 2GB DDR400 and 9800 Pro. I didn't even get any
noticeable stuttering.

I hate to say it, but what makes this game so great? It reminds me a lot of
Far Cry as far as graphics go. It also reminded me of the Area 51 demo, but
I can't really say why. Are there any outdoors areas in the game? The AI is
decent. The game doesn't wow me the same way Doom3 or Far Cry did though.

--
there is no .sig
"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>
> rms

nostromo

Thus spake Hulker69 <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk>, Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:18:25 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
><paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>>
>>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>>
>>P.
>>

>I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>
>http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz/content/p/8/1121858/fear_spdemo_en.exe
>
>Try this

....and now you're getting 2.3kbs? ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:01:48 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake Hulker69 <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk>, Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:18:25 GMT,
>Anno Domini:
>
>>On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
>><paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>>>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>>>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>>>
>>>P.
>>>

>>I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>>
>>http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz/content/p/8/1121858/fear_spdemo_en.exe
>>
>>Try this
>
>...and now you're getting 2.3kbs? ;-)

Nah, I waited until I was 99% through before I let on...

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

I dunno there's nothing I can put my finger 'on' as such but I found the
FEAR demo a much more immersive experience than the whole of Doom 3. I did
enjoy Far Cry mostly because of the size of the levels and the freedom to
wonder. But hey I haven't got a problem with peeps not liking FEAR tis only
a way to pass some time.

BillL

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Amazingly enough, I could play it with all details set to highest on my
> cruddy Mobile Athlon 2500Mhz, 2GB DDR400 and 9800 Pro. I didn't even get
> any noticeable stuttering.
>
> I hate to say it, but what makes this game so great? It reminds me a lot
> of Far Cry as far as graphics go. It also reminded me of the Area 51 demo,
> but I can't really say why. Are there any outdoors areas in the game? The
> AI is decent. The game doesn't wow me the same way Doom3 or Far Cry did
> though.
>
> --
> there is no .sig
> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>>
>> rms

schrodinger

<flightlessvacuum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> John Lewis wrote:
>
>> A strong laxative is recommended... the stronger the better...........
>>
>> John Lewis
>
> Ah Mr. Lewis...

Ah Mr flightlessvacuum

nostromo

Thus spake Hulker69 <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk>, Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:00:25 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>>>I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>>>
>>>http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/games/buzz/content/p/8/1121858/fear_spdemo_en.exe
>>>
>>>Try this
>>
>>...and now you're getting 2.3kbs? ;-)
>
>Nah, I waited until I was 99% through before I let on...

He, he, smart move ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

Is this game a straight forward shooter or are there RPG/interactive
plot elements in the game?

Is this a bunnyhopping game or is it more tactical?

rms wrote:
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?

Overall, thumbs up.

It's definitely in the Doom3/FarCry/HL2 league but does so in its own
way by combining many things, from these and other games, and putting it
into one package. I laughed out loud when I saw the AI dudes do the HL2
'crouch and hop down' maneuver - seemed like such a blatant rip off but
at least its done real well and much more often.

FEAR did have a consolish feel to it as I played through it mainly due
to the menus, character feel and movement (ala Riddick'ish or Thief'ish)
and the low'ish polygon sparse environment yet has lots of details and
efx. This game seems designed from the get go to be easily converted for
console play.

Frame rate was worst of any major FPS to date, except for DX:IV maybe.
This game raped my system and had many area loading stutters; on my Epox
8KDA3J, 1 Gig, X800XTPE, 3200+. Look and gfx of the game does not
justify the frame rate IMO. :(

I didn't get as scared in this game as I did Doom3. A few good chills
but no jump out of my seat moments.

Action was run of the mill shoot'em up and good fun. AI did a good job
with good scripted parts a plenty.

Demo is short, 15min play but worth the dl IMO.

rms wrote:
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>
> rms

I'm on Athlon64 3500, X800XT, 2Gb PC3200 and SB Audigy and it runs
really smooth qith more or less eveything Maxed out, but now and then
when I turn round I get a freeze for a second or so. But then when I
open fire and everything goes to hell, it doesn't drop out at all.

Alex Mars wrote:
> Is this game a straight forward shooter or are there RPG/interactive
> plot elements in the game?
>
> Is this a bunnyhopping game or is it more tactical?

Judging from the demo, straight forward shooter with scary bits thrown
in and its on rails, no side or alternate paths to take to get somewhere. :(

I'd say more tactical. Enemies are few but tough. Think FarCry AI but
faster and smarter. They still have isses like they will not chase you
very far so you can easily run away from them when ever you want.

Here are some other things that annoyed me:
-sparks fly from bullet impacts off wooden crates?
-blood vanishes after 20 sec or so
-broken glass shards vanish before hitting the ground??!!
-bullet impacts cause smoke?? (not the dust, thats cool)
-flashlight gets dim when close to wall
-lots of items indestructable i.e. crates, boxes

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game. The FEAR demo reminded me
more of the Area 51 demo than Doom3 or HL2.
I'm surprised you're getting stutters. I used to get stuttering in BF2 until
I added my 2nd gig of RAM. I'm only playing at 800x600. What res are you
playing at?

--
there is no .sig