So how is the FEAR demo ?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 5, 2005 10:30:01 PM

It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?

rms

More about : fear demo

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:08:22 AM

BillL wrote:

- no Far Cry wondering
> off to your hearts content.

Why on earth do people continue to dredge up this abysmal game?

The nerve to also mention it in the same sentence as the superb and
all-conquering HL2 sickens me to my stomach.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:30:59 AM

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?

Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?

P.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:18:25 AM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>
>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>
>P.

I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from

http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/game...

Try this
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:47:34 AM

Paul Moloney wrote:
> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>
>>It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>

> Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
> http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
> I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?

http://www.filerush.com/
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:41:57 AM

John Lewis wrote:

> A strong laxative is recommended... the stronger the better...........
>
> John Lewis

Ah Mr. Lewis...
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:22:36 AM

BillL wrote:

> Like it very much, very atmospheric and ditto with the 'bullet' time. The
> way the bad guys jump over objects to get to you is something new and there
> are some moments (e.g. when you're climbing down a ladder and the creepy
> girl appears) which were genuinely creepy. There are some bad points, its
> too dark in places (~ Doom3) and I can't choose the native resolution
> (1280x1024) of my 17" LCD.

Don't seem to be any widescreen resolutions in the demo, either, which
is a shame, as I've got my PC connected up to my TV. I could have missed
a setting, though, as I only had a quick look after deciding to leave
everything on the defaults before changing any settings.

> It seems to run OK on my system (A64 3200+, PNY 6800GT, 2GB RAM) certainly
> didn't experience any major slowdowns. (I'm not sure if F.E.A.R. requires
> more than a Gig of RAM this was to make sure BF2 ran smoothly).

I left the game on the default settings it chose for me (800x600, didn't
check exact settings but it looked very nice) and it ran absolutely fine
on my system (A64 3000+, 9800 Pro, 1GB RAM).

> From what I've seen so far it'll be a better experience than Doom3 and on a
> par with HL2. I think it will be quite linear though - no Far Cry wondering
> off to your hearts content. Well it *is* an office block and not a tropical
> island ;o).

I'm one of those freaks who loved Doom3 (and Half-Life 2, but that's
less freakish) and my impressions of the FEAR demo are very good indeed.
As you say, great firefights. My only concern is that it followed a very
obvious pattern of spooky/shooty/spooky/shooty, which could take away
some of the fear and suspense. Not sure how they could do anything
different, mind, and it does do both things very well.

> On the whole a big thumbs up.

From me, too.

And it didn't crash once in the whole 45 minutes I played which is
pleasing as my PC is stable as anything with some games (Doom3, HL2) but
hates others (Far Cry, WoW).
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:22:37 AM

"The Rev" <the_rev_yes_really@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> BillL wrote:
>
>> Like it very much, very atmospheric and ditto with the 'bullet' time. The
>> way the bad guys jump over objects to get to you is something new and
>> there are some moments (e.g. when you're climbing down a ladder and the
>> creepy girl appears) which were genuinely creepy. There are some bad
>> points, its too dark in places (~ Doom3) and I can't choose the native
>> resolution (1280x1024) of my 17" LCD.
>
> Don't seem to be any widescreen resolutions in the demo, either, which is
> a shame, as I've got my PC connected up to my TV. I could have missed a
> setting, though, as I only had a quick look after deciding to leave
> everything on the defaults before changing any settings.
>
>> It seems to run OK on my system (A64 3200+, PNY 6800GT, 2GB RAM)
>> certainly didn't experience any major slowdowns. (I'm not sure if
>> F.E.A.R. requires more than a Gig of RAM this was to make sure BF2 ran
>> smoothly).
>
> I left the game on the default settings it chose for me (800x600, didn't
> check exact settings but it looked very nice) and it ran absolutely fine
> on my system (A64 3000+, 9800 Pro, 1GB RAM).
>
>> From what I've seen so far it'll be a better experience than Doom3 and on
>> a par with HL2. I think it will be quite linear though - no Far Cry
>> wondering off to your hearts content. Well it *is* an office block and
>> not a tropical island ;o).
>
> I'm one of those freaks who loved Doom3 (and Half-Life 2, but that's less
> freakish) and my impressions of the FEAR demo are very good indeed. As you
> say, great firefights. My only concern is that it followed a very obvious
> pattern of spooky/shooty/spooky/shooty, which could take away some of the
> fear and suspense. Not sure how they could do anything different, mind,
> and it does do both things very well.
>
>> On the whole a big thumbs up.
>
> From me, too.
>
> And it didn't crash once in the whole 45 minutes I played which is
> pleasing as my PC is stable as anything with some games (Doom3, HL2) but
> hates others (Far Cry, WoW).

Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the demo it
says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level. Will the
install process just ignore this if I answer yes?
_Fred
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:32:12 AM

Frederick Pileggi wrote:

> Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the demo it
> says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level. Will the
> install process just ignore this if I answer yes?

So was I and it still made me reboot after install, so I don't know what
it actually did. But my PC still seems to be working, so I guess it's safe.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:32:13 AM

> Frederick Pileggi wrote:
>>
>> Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the demo
>> it says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level. Will
>> the install process just ignore this if I answer yes?
>
> So was I and it still made me reboot after install, so I don't know what
> it actually did. But my PC still seems to be working, so I guess it's
> safe.

Thanks!
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:43:55 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Hulker. Got the demo pretty fast from that link...

--
there is no .sig
"Hulker69" <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
> <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>>
>>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>>
>>P.
>>

> I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>
> http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/game...
>
> Try this
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:46:18 AM

It just ran OK on your rig? That's depressing news for me, my mobile athlon
(@2550) and my 9800 Pro. Guess I'll have to take a pass on this game...

--
there is no .sig
"BillL" <billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jamie_Manic" <yeahbutno@slag.com> wrote in message
>
> It seems to run OK on my system (A64 3200+, PNY 6800GT, 2GB RAM) certainly
> didn't experience any major slowdowns. (I'm not sure if F.E.A.R. requires
> more than a Gig of RAM this was to make sure BF2 ran smoothly).
>
> From what I've seen so far it'll be a better experience than Doom3 and on
> a par with HL2. I think it will be quite linear though - no Far Cry
> wondering off to your hearts content. Well it *is* an office block and not
> a tropical island ;o).
>
> On the whole a big thumbs up.
>
> BillL

August 6, 2005 5:08:52 AM

"Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "The Rev" <the_rev_yes_really@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Frederick Pileggi wrote:
>>>
>>> Dumb question for some of you so I apologize... When installing the
>>> demo it says it will install DirectX 9.0c. I am already at this level.
>>> Will the install process just ignore this if I answer yes?
>>
>> So was I and it still made me reboot after install, so I don't know what
>> it actually did. But my PC still seems to be working, so I guess it's
>> safe.
>
> Thanks!

Read somewhere that DX9.0C was updated in April but cant find the article.
I'd have thought they'd have changed the name if that was so to ...erm... oh
I dunno,... something like DX9.0D? If I turn up the article I read I'll
post it...... I dont *think* I dreamt it...

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:16:22 AM

On 5 Aug 2005 20:08:22 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

>BillL wrote:
>
> - no Far Cry wondering
>> off to your hearts content.
>
>Why on earth do people continue to dredge up this abysmal game?
>
>The nerve to also mention it in the same sentence as the superb and
>all-conquering HL2 sickens me to my stomach.

A strong laxative is recommended... the stronger the better...........

John Lewis
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:20:09 AM

Amazingly enough, I could play it with all details set to highest on my
cruddy Mobile Athlon 2500Mhz, 2GB DDR400 and 9800 Pro. I didn't even get any
noticeable stuttering.

I hate to say it, but what makes this game so great? It reminds me a lot of
Far Cry as far as graphics go. It also reminded me of the Area 51 demo, but
I can't really say why. Are there any outdoors areas in the game? The AI is
decent. The game doesn't wow me the same way Doom3 or Far Cry did though.

--
there is no .sig
"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>
> rms

August 6, 2005 12:01:48 PM

Thus spake Hulker69 <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk>, Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:18:25 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
><paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>>
>>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>>
>>P.
>>

>I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>
>http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/game...
>
>Try this

....and now you're getting 2.3kbs? ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 6, 2005 12:01:49 PM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 08:01:48 +1000, Nostromo
<nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

>Thus spake Hulker69 <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk>, Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:18:25 GMT,
>Anno Domini:
>
>>On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 20:30:59 GMT, "Paul Moloney"
>><paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Am trying to get it using the Torrent link from
>>>http://www.whatisfear.com/us/;
>>>I get the error "no route to host". Any ideas?
>>>
>>>P.
>>>

>>I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>>
>>http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/game...
>>
>>Try this
>
>...and now you're getting 2.3kbs? ;-)

Nah, I waited until I was 99% through before I let on...
August 6, 2005 2:13:01 PM

I dunno there's nothing I can put my finger 'on' as such but I found the
FEAR demo a much more immersive experience than the whole of Doom 3. I did
enjoy Far Cry mostly because of the size of the levels and the freedom to
wonder. But hey I haven't got a problem with peeps not liking FEAR tis only
a way to pass some time.

BillL

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:D MXIe.2896$fJ1.1245@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Amazingly enough, I could play it with all details set to highest on my
> cruddy Mobile Athlon 2500Mhz, 2GB DDR400 and 9800 Pro. I didn't even get
> any noticeable stuttering.
>
> I hate to say it, but what makes this game so great? It reminds me a lot
> of Far Cry as far as graphics go. It also reminded me of the Area 51 demo,
> but I can't really say why. Are there any outdoors areas in the game? The
> AI is decent. The game doesn't wow me the same way Doom3 or Far Cry did
> though.
>
> --
> there is no .sig
> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>>
>> rms

August 6, 2005 2:16:03 PM

<flightlessvacuum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> John Lewis wrote:
>
>> A strong laxative is recommended... the stronger the better...........
>>
>> John Lewis
>
> Ah Mr. Lewis...

Ah Mr flightlessvacuum
August 6, 2005 3:19:02 PM

Thus spake Hulker69 <hulker64@dweebie.co.uk>, Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:00:25 GMT,
Anno Domini:

>>>I'm getting 230kbs on my 2mb from
>>>
>>>http://us.games2.yimg.com/download.games.yahoo.com/game...
>>>
>>>Try this
>>
>>...and now you're getting 2.3kbs? ;-)
>
>Nah, I waited until I was 99% through before I let on...

He, he, smart move ;-)

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 6, 2005 3:52:17 PM

Is this game a straight forward shooter or are there RPG/interactive
plot elements in the game?

Is this a bunnyhopping game or is it more tactical?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 5:57:20 PM

rms wrote:
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?

Overall, thumbs up.

It's definitely in the Doom3/FarCry/HL2 league but does so in its own
way by combining many things, from these and other games, and putting it
into one package. I laughed out loud when I saw the AI dudes do the HL2
'crouch and hop down' maneuver - seemed like such a blatant rip off but
at least its done real well and much more often.

FEAR did have a consolish feel to it as I played through it mainly due
to the menus, character feel and movement (ala Riddick'ish or Thief'ish)
and the low'ish polygon sparse environment yet has lots of details and
efx. This game seems designed from the get go to be easily converted for
console play.

Frame rate was worst of any major FPS to date, except for DX:IV maybe.
This game raped my system and had many area loading stutters; on my Epox
8KDA3J, 1 Gig, X800XTPE, 3200+. Look and gfx of the game does not
justify the frame rate IMO. :(

I didn't get as scared in this game as I did Doom3. A few good chills
but no jump out of my seat moments.

Action was run of the mill shoot'em up and good fun. AI did a good job
with good scripted parts a plenty.

Demo is short, 15min play but worth the dl IMO.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 5:59:39 PM

rms wrote:
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>
> rms

I'm on Athlon64 3500, X800XT, 2Gb PC3200 and SB Audigy and it runs
really smooth qith more or less eveything Maxed out, but now and then
when I turn round I get a freeze for a second or so. But then when I
open fire and everything goes to hell, it doesn't drop out at all.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 11:51:51 PM

Alex Mars wrote:
> Is this game a straight forward shooter or are there RPG/interactive
> plot elements in the game?
>
> Is this a bunnyhopping game or is it more tactical?

Judging from the demo, straight forward shooter with scary bits thrown
in and its on rails, no side or alternate paths to take to get somewhere. :(

I'd say more tactical. Enemies are few but tough. Think FarCry AI but
faster and smarter. They still have isses like they will not chase you
very far so you can easily run away from them when ever you want.

Here are some other things that annoyed me:
-sparks fly from bullet impacts off wooden crates?
-blood vanishes after 20 sec or so
-broken glass shards vanish before hitting the ground??!!
-bullet impacts cause smoke?? (not the dust, thats cool)
-flashlight gets dim when close to wall
-lots of items indestructable i.e. crates, boxes
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:15:38 AM

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game. The FEAR demo reminded me
more of the Area 51 demo than Doom3 or HL2.
I'm surprised you're getting stutters. I used to get stuttering in BF2 until
I added my 2nd gig of RAM. I'm only playing at 800x600. What res are you
playing at?

--
there is no .sig
"Destroy" <ask@meplease.com> wrote in message

> Overall, thumbs up.
>
> It's definitely in the Doom3/FarCry/HL2 league but does so in its own way
> by combining many things, from these and other games, and putting it into
> one package. I laughed out loud when I saw the AI dudes do the HL2 'crouch
> and hop down' maneuver - seemed like such a blatant rip off but at least
> its done real well and much more often.
>
> FEAR did have a consolish feel to it as I played through it mainly due to
> the menus, character feel and movement (ala Riddick'ish or Thief'ish) and
> the low'ish polygon sparse environment yet has lots of details and efx.
> This game seems designed from the get go to be easily converted for
> console play.
>
> Frame rate was worst of any major FPS to date, except for DX:IV maybe.
> This game raped my system and had many area loading stutters; on my Epox
> 8KDA3J, 1 Gig, X800XTPE, 3200+. Look and gfx of the game does not justify
> the frame rate IMO. :(
>
> I didn't get as scared in this game as I did Doom3. A few good chills but
> no jump out of my seat moments.
>
> Action was run of the mill shoot'em up and good fun. AI did a good job
> with good scripted parts a plenty.
>
> Demo is short, 15min play but worth the dl IMO.

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 12:59:11 PM

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>
> rms

From what's presented in the demo, everything about it reminded me of
Namco's Breakdown on the Xbox (the gameplay, the viewpoint, the story
telling technique, the ambience, the plot devices), but with an emphasis on
shooting and more gore. Even the way this game starts and the way Breakdown
starts (camera angles, the framing, the use of lighting, etc.)...I don't
think this is a coincidence!
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 1:39:51 PM

For all you upgraders who have run out of options with yer current
MB's, on my sys [2400xp, 9700 (modded 9500np radeon),1/2 gig of 266MHz
Mushkin ram], it's playable at 800X600 with stuttering. I usually play
one click higher. Liked that disrupter style weapon. The creepy l'il
girl is a nice touch. Would like to avoid the 10 minutes of opening
setups, but I've dumped the demo after palying it twice.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 9:50:32 PM

"Tempora" <tempora@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> It's been out a few hours now, anyone tried it?
>>
>> rms
>
> From what's presented in the demo, everything about it reminded me of
> Namco's Breakdown on the Xbox (the gameplay, the viewpoint, the story
> telling technique, the ambience, the plot devices), but with an emphasis
> on shooting and more gore. Even the way this game starts and the way
> Breakdown starts (camera angles, the framing, the use of lighting,
> etc.)...I don't think this is a coincidence!

Agreed.... especially that doctor leaning over you at the start, and the
lights...... and everything. I LOVED Breakdown, it had some pretty annoying
problems, such as multi-NPC fights and that disgusting alien jumping
level..... but it still had an absolutely gripping story and character
interaction. I'm really hoping FEAR provides the same experience. Shame I
noticed a quicksave bug, where after it auto-quicksaves at one point, my
game is almost destroyed by stupid stuttering. This isn't a room-to-room
thing either, it's simply constant, for no reason at all. Only happens after
the auto-quicksave....... they better fix that.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:32:17 AM

On 5 Aug 2005 20:08:22 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

>BillL wrote:
>
> - no Far Cry wondering
>> off to your hearts content.
>
>Why on earth do people continue to dredge up this abysmal game?

Are you suggesting Daikatana is better?

Besides - there aren't many games that are minimize scripting. While the
individual cambat AI could be improved, it's much better than most
alternatives (e.g. enemies with instant reaction time, or always drone
toward the player.)

>The nerve to also mention it in the same sentence as the superb and
>all-conquering HL2 sickens me to my stomach.

Far Cry was claimed to be a GOTY contender when it was released. It didn't
receive the award, but any decent video game website would at least give an
honorable mention for being popular at the time of release.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 4:25:20 PM

There was one bug that _really_ annoyed me. There's a rail-gun
type weapon that leaves nothing behind but a smoking skeleton.
Which is kinda cool.

However, the game has that problem I've seen in other games
with physics engines (like Max Payne 2) where a supposedly
inert body starts perpetually oscillating. So the dead skeleton
kept bumping back and forth between two objects very loudly.
Even worse, the noise level _increased_ when I left the room,
definitely some kind of audio bug. I could still hear the damn
noise two minutes later, and it was loud enough to cover the
noise of any approaching soldiers.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"Suppose conventional wisdom to be a forest. I am chainsaw. You
are squirrels."
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:42:17 PM

On 5 Aug 2005 22:41:57 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> A strong laxative is recommended... the stronger the better...........
>>
>> John Lewis
>
>Ah Mr. Lewis...

Ah, mindlessvacuum@gmail.com..

Feeling better now?

BTW, regardless of your knowledgeable opinion, EA quickly licensed the
next efforts from Crytek, apparently beating Ubisoft in the bidding.
Nice for EA to have DICE ( BF2, 1942) and Crytek in the same stable.
The Far Cry follow-ons should be great, especially if they multithread
the AI to take advantage of dual-core. I doubt if the story-line will
be anything like that of Far Cry. Far Cry was the proof-of-concept for
the game engine, just as Doom3 (yuk!!) was the proof-of-concept
for Id's latest engine efforts.

John Lewis
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:18:22 PM

On Sat, 5 Aug 2005 flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

> The nerve to also mention it in the same sentence as the superb and
> all-conquering HL2 sickens me to my stomach.

STEAM off, Valve fanboy troll ;) ...

August 24, 2005 4:42:00 AM

Those are fighting words...lol
Far Cry has got to be one of the best games I've ever played. With
that off my chest, I hope FEAR Is not as dark as Doom3 because I hated
Doom 3..There is Dark and then Too Dark.
August 24, 2005 9:08:27 PM

<SamuelF566@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Those are fighting words...lol
> Far Cry has got to be one of the best games I've ever played. With
> that off my chest, I hope FEAR Is not as dark as Doom3 because I hated
> Doom 3..There is Dark and then Too Dark.

Ah FEAR is a bit dark but you do have a head mounted torch which, ok doesn't
take long before the charge runs out but is an improvment on Doom3 (Thank
Larry for the modders who fixed that!). I for one am looking forward to the
full game.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:50:59 AM

>> Far Cry has got to be one of the best games I've ever played. With
>> that off my chest, I hope FEAR Is not as dark as Doom3 because I hated
>> Doom 3..There is Dark and then Too Dark.
>>

> Ah FEAR is a bit dark but you do have a head mounted torch which, ok
> doesn't take long before the charge runs out but is an improvment on Doom3
> (Thank Larry for the modders who fixed that!). I for one am looking
> forward to the full game.

Just got to the FEAR demo...and it scared the bejezus out of me...in a good
way. Doom3 was scary at first but then became headache inducing. FEAR
seems to be doing the scary stuff in an oblique way that blends into the
gameplay more like the System Shocks. I had at least three genuine "spine
run cold" moments that are very subtle and made me almost happy when I got
to shoot things.

It looks like it's being marketed as a complete shootem up...but the haunted
house portions of this and the very detailed environments engrossed me
completely. My favorite moment was coming down off a ladder and looking
down into a puddle and seeing my reflection bending down to look as well.

Doom was like heavy metal played loud and endlessly, this was meticulously
paced to cause a rollercoaster of reactions. The physics are really good
but FEAR doesn't throw them in your face, thusly making every time they do
affect things more surprising and realistic. I often found myself simply
interacting with things to see what they would do - loved the phone on the
wall with the hanging receiver and cord with realistic movements faintly
hissing "if you'd like to make a call..." Some of the things you bump into
even have working hinges and parts built in. I shot an electrical panel in
a random hallway that I thought was just a texture, and froze as the lights
all the way down started sputtering and moving, throwing shadows in a quite
complex sequence.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 9:34:17 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Jason Travis wrote:

> Just got to the FEAR demo...and it scared the bejezus out of me...in a
> good way. Doom3 was scary at first but then became headache inducing.

I recently replayed some user made SP levels for AvP2 and was more scared
than most of the time in Doom 3. Probable the reason for this is that the
zombies in D3 appeared silent but were rather slow and the other monsters
appeared with too much show to surprise you. AvP2s aliens were different,
also the motion detector added a lot to the tension, when signals were on
it, and to the surprise, when something moved behind you. The flashlight
was very bad compared to D3 though, time for AvP3 with the D3 engine :) !

> I shot an electrical panel in a random hallway that I thought was just a
> texture, and froze as the lights all the way down started sputtering and
> moving, throwing shadows in a quite complex sequence.

I was dissappointed during the FEAR demo, that lamps when shot go dark
only for a short time. Imagine darkening a whole section of the game
accidentally during a furious firefight!

August 29, 2005 9:34:18 PM

"Werner Spahl"
snip

> I was dissappointed during the FEAR demo, that lamps when shot go dark
> only for a short time. Imagine darkening a whole section of the game
> accidentally during a furious firefight!

"You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"

Be lookin for those eyes shining at ya!
McG.

!