HELP: 3HD's broken in less than 5 months!!!

Fraggy

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
I bought a new computer and in less than 5 months, "it" broke 2 harddisks!!!
I told my provider this was too much of a coincidence, especially since both HD's "broke" in the same way: physically, they seemed to be OK, because Norton ghost and scandisk told me that my drives are OK, that is before the BIOS stopped detecting them, that is.

So in short: after 3 months, the 1st HD broke down (WD of 40GB): the BIOS wouldn't detect it anymore. This disk was still in warantee and was replaced by another one. At that time I added one of my old HDs as a primary slave (Maxtor, 5GB, 4 years old) and after 1 month that old HD broke down: first my machine (athlon XP 1600) worked without errors, but then suddenly became slower than a 486 with 4 mb trying to run Win98, apparently due to malfunctioning of the primary slave (which on top of that was empty!!!).
My provider analysed my PC and stated "bad luck for you", even though I have a feeling that somehow my athlon is destroying the HDs...
As soon as I got my "repaired" machine back, I put another HD as primary slave (this time a cheaper HD, because I'm running out on both money AND on HDs) and got an immediate response:
primary master stopped working immediatly, throwing my winXP into a perpetual rebooting loop (preceded by a blue screen telling me my primary HD is corrupt). Removing the slave disk didn't help...

So now I've got the impression by machine just "ate" it's 3rd HD within 5 months, but I'm still awaiting their findings, although I really don't expect much from them anymore. They are pissed off (as if they have more reasons to be pissed of than I do?????)

My provider tells me it's impossible, but I have the very strong feeling that the machine is destroying the HDs.
Is this possible? Can the damage be due to faulty IDE cables, faulty motherboard or power unit????
Or perhaps do we have to blame the laws of Murphy? Or very maybe this is the revenge of HD killing aliens from outer space?

I dunno anymore. I once had a 31/2 inch diskdrive that destroyed floppy disks, which was simple to proove with a set of cheap brandnew tested floppies, but this situation is far more serious, especially since the garantee they give for a HD is only 5 months...

Any help, even a very short answer would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings, JM.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Bad power supply and too much heat can destroy hdd. Try to change the psu as well as to put an hdd cooler in front of your unit.

the last is in the past

Fraggy

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
I forgot to mention that the first time I opened the case, I already had doubts on this provider: there were not enough power cables, so the techies of my provider cut the plastic protection of the cables to mount some parallel cables on those points. Isolation tape was the only thing they used to "finish" the job... I was told that this shouldn't cause any problem. In this forum, however, I read somewhere that "quick power on / off" by touching a cable while a computer is switched on may destroy a HD, so I guess a bad (power) contact is a very probable cause for my misery, no? Also the IDE cables are all wrinkled because of repetitive folding, which I guess doesn't do good to any HD neighter...
About the heat: thanks for the advice, this would indeed seem logical, but my athlon is equipped with a Soyo motherboard which has a temperature probe and the temperature stays within limits (I'm not an overclocker, just a simple user... Got a Geforce2ti, but that one isn't overclocked neighter... I will keep an extra eye on the temperature (next time I get the machine back), but my main thoughts go out to the cables...

Especially your remark about the PSU consolidates my doubts.

Thnx...

More comments still appreciated (people with similar experiences...)

JM.

UNIX is not dead, it just smells funny!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
most prebuilt computers come with a bottom line power supply, perhaps you over loaded the psu and it started putting out "dirty" power

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

G

yeah, I agree with the other guys. power transients can wreak havoc. if your psu unit is decent, then you may want to look into ups's.

I was talking to the IS guy at work describing my frequent hardrive deaths and he suggested I try a UPS. Guess what, I haven't had a hard drive die on me since, and that was like three, or four years ago. Not really proof, but I sure aint taking it off there now.

chipd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
Sounds a bit dangerous to cut the plastic from the cables,and amateur-ish... there ARE real extention cables for it which costs allmost nothing.
If its not properly isolated you might end up with a short-circuit and broken computer.

TRENDING THREADS