Linksys AE1000 or AE2500

alpha1172

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
So, I'm getting a new router. The Linksys E2500, and since it's finally wireless N, I have to update my wireless adapters, I only need 2. One for my Windows 7 64-bit computer and my brother's Windows XP 32-bit computer.

I'm coming from a real bad history of horrible wifi here, that's why I'm replacing my router in the hopes of RELIABLE internet.

But what is a good router with a horrible WAN Antenna, so I'm here today to ask you guys

Which is better or Which should I get? The AE1000 USB Adapter or the AE2500 USB Adapter?

I'd be very appreciative to answers with concrete and known problems with either of these adapters :)

I'm also open to other brands if they REALLY STAND OUT performance and reliability wise. Thanks.

Solution
Depends what types of computer. If these are desktops I would tend to go with the ae1000 only because you can put it on top of the computer or move it around to get best signal. Of course you can use a USB extension cable on the 2500. Just don't expect good results if you plug it in the back of a metal computer and then stick it under the desk against the wall.

In reality most USB adapters use one or two chipset because of government licensing. Most issues are driver related.

If these are laptop you have a similar issue but not much you can do unless you are willing to deal with cables. Your best option for many laptops is to buy a internal card since they have antenna built into the back of the screen which is the optimum...

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Depends what types of computer. If these are desktops I would tend to go with the ae1000 only because you can put it on top of the computer or move it around to get best signal. Of course you can use a USB extension cable on the 2500. Just don't expect good results if you plug it in the back of a metal computer and then stick it under the desk against the wall.

In reality most USB adapters use one or two chipset because of government licensing. Most issues are driver related.

If these are laptop you have a similar issue but not much you can do unless you are willing to deal with cables. Your best option for many laptops is to buy a internal card since they have antenna built into the back of the screen which is the optimum location. Note be sure your laptop was designed to run 5g if you plan to use that band, the antenna may be optimized for only 2.4

Solution

alpha1172

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012

All desktops, and none are inserted in desks. It's only against a wall obviously, but wifi is not on the opposite side of the wall. it's actually coming from my back. Anyway, i don't care about signal since with my old wifi adapter I get signal, this should obviously be better. Just asking about reliability and performance