Two Networks Simultaneously

eternalrz

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I need help trying to set up my network correctly. I have a wireless network that I get internet access through (Network A) and a wired network that has no internet access (Network B). I can't seem to connect to them both simultaneously so I can access the internet on Network A and access the printer and files on other computers on Network B. How do I accomplish this?

Notes:
Network A uses "192.168.1.X".
Network B uses "10.0.0.X".

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
That all depends on what kind of hardware you are using on your network and how it is set up.
The reason you can't access the 10.0.0.x is because the address range is different.
Is there a reason beyond limiting internet access behind why you are using two different IP address ranges?

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
You will need to usae the same address range on both routers, but be sure to set DHCP to limit the addresses issues so they dont overlap, Otherwise you will have problems. Otherwise set only one of the routers to issue addresses and turn the DHCP off on the other router. So one can issue addresses from 192.168.1.10-192.168.1.100 and the other to 192.168.1.101-192.168.1.200 that way you wont have any overlaping addresses.

eternalrz

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Hmm, tried giving the same address range and then limiting the addresses to prevent overlapping and that didn't work. Then I tried turning DHCP off just made the network completely unavailable as no computers connected to it were getting IP addresses, which ultimately lead to me having to reset my router. There's got to be a way to do this.

If you mean on a end PC that can be attached to both network. First you need to make sure any bios settings are changed to allow both network cards to be active.

Then in your case I would change the wired connection to not have a default gateway, you can either statically assign it or remove the gateway from the DHCP server. The key problem with dual connected machines is that you have to avoid having 2 default routes.

If you mean you really want to connect the networks themselves together then you will need a router that has the capability to have multiple networks. You may be able to load dd-wrt firmware to get this feature. You would then on one of the router attach it to both networks and put in static routes to make it work.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If you did make the changes in the DHCP settings as I suggested and you lost connectivity, that would probably have happened to the 10.0.0.x PCs. After making any changes in DHCP you would have to reset both router and network connections. Thae fact that the settings on DHCP were changed doesnt mean that the PC will automatically reset its network settings and aquire a new address. You would have to invoke that by either restarting the PC or network settings (Repair or Disable/Enable).
Basically a router would probably have to be set up in a certain way to issue addresses in two different ranges, they usually don't do that sort of thing by default. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad idea to reset your router and set it up from scratch...

RealBeast

Titan
If you have access to both networks on a windows pc you could always bridge the Ethernet and wireless adapters, which would allow the two networks access to each other as long as the bridged machine is on. Not a great way to combine two large busy networks but fine for a moderate number of clients. To bridge, just open the network control panel, change adapter settings, highlight both adapters, right click and select bridge adapters.

xng27

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013

Have you ever managed to work this out?

eternalrz

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I just bought a router and installed DD-WRT to get a wireless repeater bridge function going. Everything works the way I want it now.