Sign in with
Your question

Computer Boots fine. Beeps twice, no screen, have to restart. Help!

Last response: in Windows 7
May 4, 2012 11:18:31 AM

Hi there.

My computer boots up fine. All programs work fine.

While I'm not using it (at least it hasn't happened while I'm using it) I hear it beep once and when I go to check the computer the screen wont show any picture, it's like the monitor is on but the PC is off.

PC light is still on, hard drive still spinning and the fans are still on.

I have to reset the PC and I get the "Windows was not properly shut down" message upon reboot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
May 4, 2012 11:56:54 AM

While you aren't using it does it go into sleep mode? or does it just turn off the monitor? You can check your settings (assuming you are using Windows 7) by pressing the Windows key and typing Power Options; looking at the details of the plan that is currently active will show you if it's set up to sleep or not.

From your description I would guess that the graphics card is having a problem resuming from sleep mode, explaining why you can still see/hear HD activity but have nothing on the screen. The first course of action here would be to ensure that you are using the most up-to-date drivers for your graphics card / integrated graphics which will be available from the manufacturer. Device manager will show you what version drivers you are running.

Hope this points you in the right direction.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 12:06:57 PM

also check the mb vendor web page to see if there any bios updates.some time errors like that get into production then are fix with a bios update.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 12:32:03 PM

Two Beeps represents POST/CMOS Error
&
One Long Beep, One Short Beep represents Motherboard Problem

Try to Swap memory location
m
l
May 6, 2012 9:17:42 AM

Ok.

Tried each Ram stick by itself, I have 2 x 2gb. Also tried putting the Ram in the second slot.

Updated the BIOS with AFUDOS.exe

UN-installed the graphics card drivers, booted to safe mode and cleaned with Driver Sweeper, then installed latest version.

Turned of Sleep mode in Power Options.

Still the same.

If I push the reset button on the PC when it re-boots it doesn't give me the "windows was not properly shut down" message. Which makes me think there is some type of system fault?

Should I try taking out the graphics card and using the on-board graphics?
m
l
!