Mixing SCSI and IDE Drives?

kaorisdad

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002
I have an older PC with SCSI drives. I don't really need the speed (or the expense) of SCSI anymore. I want to add a new IDE HDD with an older SCSI HDD. Can SCSI devices coexist with an IDE HDD? My mobo has IDE plugs open. I've been told to add the IDE drive set as Master on the Primary IDE plug. I may also add an ATAPI DVD ROM as Master on the Secondary plug. I still want to keep the older SCSI HDD and I also have a SCSI CDRW. How will the SCSI controller assign drive letters? Does this need to be set up in the bios? I'd like the newer IDE HDD set up as the C drive; the SCSI HDD as the D drive; the ATAPI DVD ROM as the E drive and the SCSI CDRW as the F drive.
Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They go together just fine. If you want your IDE drive as the one you boot from, just set it that way in BIOS. The SCSI drive doesnt' set the drive letters, it only sets the order. Windows sets the drive letters as follows:
Boot drive first (C)
Other hard drivedrives on that controller (D, etc)
SCSI hard drives, if you've booted off IDE (E, etc)
SCSI CD drives (F, etc)
IDE CD drives (G, etc).

Windows allows you to reassign SCSI drive letters.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Yup, I second what Crashman says.
It is easier than you think.

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink: