Connection Issue

Magster

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Have a Windows 7 desktop connected to a Netgear Router via a cable modem. Computer network is setup a Home Network / Access Type: Internet. Error Message:"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.
Can run the troubleshooting program. Problem is fixed but the problem starts again the next time I start the desktop. Receive the error message once again.
Note: This is a wired network. My other Windows 7 desktops do not have this problem.

Magster

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Thank you for your reply. At this point in time, my wife is using the computer in question. I will check to make sure the TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain an IP address & automatically obtain DNS. It seems like the problem only occurs after the IP address is released & obtained the next day.

That seems odd. As a test, the next time you have internet connectivity, open a command promt as admin and try these lines one at a time.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

and see if you can still connect. Try this after you are sure the tcp/ip settings are set to automatic as stated in the previous post. These commands force windows to releasie it's IP address, then try to obtain an IP address.

Magster

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Thank you for your previous messages:

TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain an IP address & automatically obtain DNS

As per your last post: I followed your instructions to the letter.
Was able to ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew. I was still able to connect.

I hope this will finally fix the problem. Thank you again.

Magster

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
Once again the Network connection on the right hand side of the Windows 7 taskbar gets a Yellow Triangle.
TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain an IP address & automatically obtain DNS

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.4
SubNet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Again, I am able to go to command prompt as Admin
Able to do: ipconfig /release
Get the Yellow Triangle
Able to do: ipconfig /renew
Yellow Triangle disappears & able to connect to the internet.

By the way, I have no IPv4 wins server

I just cannot figure out this situation: since my other Windows 7 i7 computers do not have any problems like this one.

You don't need a WINS (Windows Internet Name Service) server. Do your router logs show anything? You should see the DHCP lease expire and your computer requesting a renewal of that address. Of course this should be happening automatically without you needing to force a release and renew.