Sign in with
Your question

Connection Issue

Last response: in Networking
October 3, 2012 3:27:08 PM

Have a Windows 7 desktop connected to a Netgear Router via a cable modem. Computer network is setup a Home Network / Access Type: Internet. Error Message:"Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.
Can run the troubleshooting program. Problem is fixed but the problem starts again the next time I start the desktop. Receive the error message once again.
Note: This is a wired network. My other Windows 7 desktops do not have this problem.

More about : connection issue

October 3, 2012 5:55:50 PM

Thank you for your reply. At this point in time, my wife is using the computer in question. I will check to make sure the TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain an IP address & automatically obtain DNS. It seems like the problem only occurs after the IP address is released & obtained the next day.
m
l
Related resources
a c 229 $ Windows 7
October 3, 2012 7:52:41 PM

That seems odd. As a test, the next time you have internet connectivity, open a command promt as admin and try these lines one at a time.

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

and see if you can still connect. Try this after you are sure the tcp/ip settings are set to automatic as stated in the previous post. These commands force windows to releasie it's IP address, then try to obtain an IP address.
m
l
October 5, 2012 10:53:53 AM

Thank you for your previous messages:

TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain an IP address & automatically obtain DNS

As per your last post: I followed your instructions to the letter.
Was able to ipconfig /release & ipconfig /renew. I was still able to connect.

I hope this will finally fix the problem. Thank you again.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
October 5, 2012 11:48:21 AM

No problem. I hope it continues to work for you.
m
l
October 6, 2012 4:08:49 PM

Once again the Network connection on the right hand side of the Windows 7 taskbar gets a Yellow Triangle.
TCP/IP settings are set to automatically obtain an IP address & automatically obtain DNS

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.4
SubNet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Again, I am able to go to command prompt as Admin
Able to do: ipconfig /release
Get the Yellow Triangle
Able to do: ipconfig /renew
Yellow Triangle disappears & able to connect to the internet.

By the way, I have no IPv4 wins server

I just cannot figure out this situation: since my other Windows 7 i7 computers do not have any problems like this one.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 12:41:52 PM

You don't need a WINS (Windows Internet Name Service) server. Do your router logs show anything? You should see the DHCP lease expire and your computer requesting a renewal of that address. Of course this should be happening automatically without you needing to force a release and renew.
m
l
!