Don't really understand

asw49

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Ok, I'm working from my hp laptop I bought 3 years ago and decided that I wanted a desktop in addition. So I bought a Hp p7-1234 hoping for faster speeds and such. The problem is that my desktop is running incredibly fast in all aspects except when I browse the internet. My laptop, which is in the same room, runs perfectly fine on the internet. So I dont think that my router is the problem, maybe just that the stock wireless card on the desktop is bad. I just bought the computer today so I need to know if I should return it or just buy a better card for it.

The card I have on it now is a 802.11 Wireless b/g/n PCI-E Mini card

Thanks for the help!

You're running a wireless PCI-E Mini card on a desktop? Interesting. Not a big fan of PCI-E full size cards for wireless, let alone mini's. You can get very good reception using these same cards on the laptop because the laptop usually has an ideal antenna solution, one that wraps around the screen. But burying a mini card inside a desktop, hmm, would probably be my absolute last choice.

Best option with a desktop since it is not moved around is a ethernet cable directly to the router.

If that is not a option. Pretty much any USB wireless card will work. I would also get a USB extension cable. The USB slot on most desktops are on the back which tends to mean you have your signal being blocked by the case on oneside and the wall on the other. A USB extension cable allows you to put the adapter in a better location.

duker02

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

DONT GET A NEW CARD. I have this computer and had the SAME problem! All you have to do is restart your internet router, and update the drivers to your card (which barely did anything for me); the reason it was slow for me is because my internet was slow, so I restarted the router. If you have anymore problems, ask me. (Because i had the same problem of course.)