Are there any good PC FPS out?

Last response: in Video Games
August 8, 2005 7:33:27 AM

Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
can go and check the reviews.

More about : good fps

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:45:00 AM

If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
disappointment my friend.

:)
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:39:09 AM

Yeah, Deus Ex: IW is worth playing.
August 8, 2005 3:09:41 PM

flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

>If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
>disappointment my friend.
>
>:)

Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.
August 8, 2005 4:08:47 PM

<alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
> months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
> DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
> can go and check the reviews.

Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.
August 8, 2005 4:29:10 PM

> Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
> but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.

Thief3, SplinterCell: CT

rms
August 8, 2005 4:36:28 PM

On 8 Aug 2005 03:33:27 -0700, alfi286@aol.com wrote:

>Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
>months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
>DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
>can go and check the reviews.

DX:IW isn't worth starting let alone continuing with, I hope you have
played the original. In a similar vein is Vampire The
Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good. Painkiller is good
for mindless shooting. You may like Far Cry, personally I didn't a
whole lot, but several people around here did.
August 8, 2005 4:49:21 PM

Far Cry ... Riddick ... Since when is Vampire an FPS :) ?
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:47:43 PM

> In a similar vein is Vampire The
> Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good.

Yup, but I would emphasise it's not good _as an FPS_.
As in, the FPS side of it is average, while the RPG aspect
is great.

--
-pm

http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

"I've created an atmosphere where I'm a friend first, boss
second. Probably entertainer third."
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:05:50 PM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:36:28 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>DX:IW isn't worth starting let alone continuing with, I hope you have
>played the original. In a similar vein is Vampire The
>Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good. Painkiller is good
>for mindless shooting. You may like Far Cry, personally I didn't a
>whole lot, but several people around here did.

I'll second PainKiller, I just bought Doom3 in the bargain bin and
PainKiller out-dooms Doom3.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:26:59 PM

<alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
> months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
> DX:IW is worth continueing with?

I'm afraid not because its terrible console stuff.

> Just chuck a few names at me and I
> can go and check the reviews.

Painkiller
Farcry
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:27:52 PM

> Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.

There are literally tears of laughter flowing from my eyes at that one.
Doom3
hahahahahahaahahaahhahahahahahahaahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........etc.
Good one !!
August 8, 2005 9:41:37 PM

"weretable and the undead chairs" <weretable@were.diningroom> wrote in
message news:5s0ff117fvf30mftb27liu4l1bojij6t2e@4ax.com...
> flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
>>disappointment my friend.
>>
>>:)
>
> Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.

All those games were great IMHO. All 3 are too different gameplay-wise to
be compared to each other.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:09:32 PM

"redTed" <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> wrote in message
> > Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.
>
> There are literally tears of laughter flowing from my eyes at that one.
> Doom3

hahahahahahaahahaahhahahahahahahaahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........etc.
> Good one !!

I honestly thought that he was joking too!
August 9, 2005 1:56:15 AM

Thus spake Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>, Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:36:28 +0100,
Anno Domini:

>On 8 Aug 2005 03:33:27 -0700, alfi286@aol.com wrote:
>
>>Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
>>months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
>>DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
>>can go and check the reviews.
>
>DX:IW isn't worth starting let alone continuing with, I hope you have
>played the original. In a similar vein is Vampire The
>Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good. Painkiller is good
>for mindless shooting. You may like Far Cry, personally I didn't a
>whole lot, but several people around here did.

I'll 2nd some of those: Far Cry; VTMB is a roleplaying game first &
foremost; Unreal 2 if you missed it 1st time round; Serious Sam: The 2nd
Encounter also if you missed it. If you're not stuck on a fps, Guild Wars is
a great mmorpg with no monthly fee that's taking most of my time right now.

More details alfi...

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

August 9, 2005 1:59:28 AM

x-no-archive: yes

alfi286@aol.com wrote:

<snip>

these are all the fps pc games i know have been released since
the beginning of this year

horror
.. the house of the dead iii
.. painkiller black edition
.. hellforces

sci-fi
.. star wars republic commando
.. area 51
.. project: snowblind
.. doom 3: resurrection of evil
.. psychotoxic
.. pariah

urban
.. swat 4
.. grand theft auto - san andreas

military
.. brothers in arms: road to hill 30
.. close combat: first to fight
.. delta force xtreme
.. boiling point road to hell

deathmatch
.. gotcha
.. battlefield 2

non of these titles are abusive and against consumer rights
like the one you just finished so rest assured the nightmare
is now over and you can return buying playing and patching
pc games like it has been for over a decade and the way it
should always be forever, so next time PLEASE think twice
before buying any steam infected game

good buying and please always play pc games you own and you
have legally bought
don't lend or make copies of your own pc game titles to give
away to your friends or others
always check if you are buying original merchandise and not
counterfeiting
never use p2p either to get or to share for commercial games
actively fight against piracy in pc games
support and protect your favorite hobby
long live pc games

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

<alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
> Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
> months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
> DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
> can go and check the reviews.

Painkiller

FarCry

Chronicles of Riddick - start with this one!

Battlefield2

GTA:SA (not quite FPS but the best single player experience after Deus Ex
IMO)

Brothers In Arms

Boiling Point:Road to Hell (very very buggy - "flawed genius")

Doom3 (first half is good, second half not so.)

Check out www.gamerankings.com
www.fileplanet.com
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:26:46 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Bateau wrote:

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
> >
> >Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
> >but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.
>
> Actually none of those are "very good."

But HL2 isn't "very good" either...

August 9, 2005 2:26:47 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:26:46 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>But HL2 isn't "very good" either...

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914642.asp?q=hal...

and umpteen GOTY awards would seem to disagree with you.
August 9, 2005 2:51:10 PM

"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508091025530.15052@localhost...
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Bateau wrote:
>
>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>> >
>> >Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different
>> >games
>> >but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the
>> >Autumn.
>>
>> Actually none of those are "very good."
>
> But HL2 isn't "very good" either...

You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:27:40 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:26:46 +0200, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> >But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
>
> http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914642.asp?q=hal...

The other games Bateau claimed to be not "very good" reach 88-91% in these
rankings, so they shouldn't be much worse compared to the 96% of HL2 ;) ...

> and umpteen GOTY awards would seem to disagree with you.

GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

August 9, 2005 6:13:27 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:27:40 +0200, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

In other words, "my favourite game didn't get any so they are
rubbish".
August 9, 2005 7:40:15 PM

Werner Spahl wrote:

> GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

yeah sure. and all the positive user reviews are just bunk too eh?
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:40:16 PM

Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Werner Spahl wrote:
>>

>> GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.
>>

>yeah sure. and all the positive user reviews are just bunk too eh?

At least some of them are.

You mean you haven't read "reviews" where it's apparent the person
hasn't even played the game.

The worst one I recall was for TR:AOD, with a fanboy giving it top marks
without having even SEEN it, because he was a Tomb Raider fan and just
KNEW it would be great.

Xocyll
August 9, 2005 7:54:55 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:27:40 +0200, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> >GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.
>
> In other words, "my favourite game didn't get any so they are
> rubbish".

Rather more like "hype and whatever other reasons don't only swing the
public but reviewers as well."

August 9, 2005 8:13:14 PM

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

><alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
>> months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
>> DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
>> can go and check the reviews.
>>

>Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
>but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.

Actually none of those are "very good."
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:05:49 PM

rms wrote:
>>Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
>>but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.
>

> Thief3, SplinterCell: CT
>
> rms

The OP said "FPS". SC:CT doesn't count.

As for Thief 3, that could be considered a FPS if you take the acronym
to mean "First-Person Sneaker".
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:47:38 AM

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
>news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508091025530.15052@localhost...

>>> Actually none of those are "very good."
>>
>> But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
>>

>You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?

I like playing cowboy with your mom.
August 10, 2005 2:47:39 AM

"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>>
>>"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
>>news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508091025530.15052@localhost...

>>> But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
>>>

>>You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?
>
> I like playing cowboy with your mom.

Dont be a twat. What games do you like?
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:47:40 AM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:40:08 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>Dont be a twat. What games do you like?

He likes playing a twat on usenet.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 5:58:43 PM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Xocyll wrote:

> Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
> >Werner Spahl wrote:
> >>
> >> GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.
> >
> >yeah sure. and all the positive user reviews are just bunk too eh?
>
> At least some of them are.
>
> You mean you haven't read "reviews" where it's apparent the person
> hasn't even played the game.

Also why should people linger around forums or websites and post reviews
if they didn't like the game in the first place? As all of you know, I
like to voice my criticism here if someone hypes a game I think doesn't
deserve it, but even I never bother to write bad reviews somewhere ;) .

August 10, 2005 6:20:31 PM

Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> thought that a good way to
threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

I would say that they're about as signifigant as the Grammy (ie. not at
all).

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people

Xocyll wrote:

> You mean you haven't read "reviews" where it's apparent the person
> hasn't even played the game.

It happens sure : the nature of the web and fanboyz. Not the majority
though.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:10:31 PM

John Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:40:08 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>

>>Dont be a twat. What games do you like?
>>

> He likes playing a twat on usenet.

Killfiles are a game played best with Bateau.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:07:42 AM

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
>>>news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508091025530.15052@localhost...

>>>You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?
>>
>> I like playing cowboy with your mom.
>
>Dont be a twat. What games do you like?

Soldat.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:37:17 AM

On 8 Aug 2005 03:45:00 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

>If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
>disappointment my friend.
>
>:)

Well... I don't know. At times HL2 is ok, but it never really got me
hooked. I paused playing it for several weeks (partly due to the
NON-WORKING OFFLINE MODE OF STEAM), and even went to replay Serious
Sam and SS: Second Encounter the second time, and remembered again why
the Serious Sam games were such great fun (albeit repetitive) to play.

Anyway, HL2 gameplay is much too linear for my taste, compared to many
other FPS like FarCry. It even has had some very irritating sections,
one being the one where you go on the beach trying not to wake up the
antlions or whatever they were (dragging around a couple of doors to
walk on is not my idea of fun).

Some sections are supposed to be original like using the antlions to
fight for you in Nova Prospekt etc., but that got old quite fast.

I don't know, mostly I just remember the great graphics and good
character models in HL2, that's about it. Decided to try to finish the
game this week, but now the offline mode refused to work yet another
time (got a new NIC earlier, yet to install it). Hmmm, maybe I really
should try to track down those Half-life 2 cracks that Andrew etc.
have been advertising many times, maybe they let me play the game
offline properly.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:39:44 AM

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:13:14 +0800, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
wrote:

>"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>
>>Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
>>but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.
>
>Actually none of those are "very good."

If you have that high standards for calling a game "very good", you
could argue whether HL2 is either. I genuinely think I got more
gameplay out of e.g. FarCry than I've got out of HL2 so far. Only the
very ending of FarCry was rather poor, the last two levels or so.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:54:34 AM

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:37:17 GMT, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:

>On 8 Aug 2005 03:45:00 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
>>disappointment my friend.
>>
>>:)
>
>Well... I don't know. At times HL2 is ok, but it never really got me
>hooked. I paused playing it for several weeks (partly due to the
>NON-WORKING OFFLINE MODE OF STEAM), and even went to replay Serious
>Sam and SS: Second Encounter the second time, and remembered again why
>the Serious Sam games were such great fun (albeit repetitive) to play.

SS is much better played when you have friends playing. For example, when
you find the secret watcher and point it out to your friend, there's a high
chance that your friend will soon discover the giant kamakazie secret by
himself.

Basically, gameplay becomes a bit more unpredictable.

>Anyway, HL2 gameplay is much too linear for my taste, compared to many
>other FPS like FarCry. It even has had some very irritating sections,
>one being the one where you go on the beach trying not to wake up the
>antlions or whatever they were (dragging around a couple of doors to
>walk on is not my idea of fun).

It's not realistic either - especially since they don't react to throwing
stuff at the ground.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:02:41 AM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:51:10 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
>news:p ine.LNX.4.58.0508091025530.15052@localhost...
>>> Actually none of those are "very good."
>>
>> But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
>>

>You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?

I must say HL2 didn't feel very much like FPS (first person SHOOTER)
when I was "driving" the sand buggy, guiding the antlions around or
dragging a few pieces of wood with the gravity gun in order to walk on
the beach without waking up the antlions. More like a simplified and
linear action-adventure for those particular sections. I'm surprised
how little actual shooting action there has been in HL2 so far.

Which reminds me: I hate the parts in HL2 where you are supposed to
shoot down enemy helicopters with the poorly working manually guided
missiles. Save-reload-save-reload ad nauseam. Heck, and then some
people complained the FarCry helicopters were irritating!

I guess my favourite single-player FPS games for now are FarCry (for
the open and quite non-linear levels) and Serious Sam games (for the
simple but fun no-bullshit gameplay).
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:14:03 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:36:53 +0100, "Shawk"
<shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

>I loved first 3/4 of Far Cry but then I just got bored. I think it was from
>that part with volcanoes and lots of the big guys with missile launchers for
>arms.

I don't recall the whole last 25% of FarCry being that bad, I'd say
pretty much all the outdoor levels in it were great, and indoor levels
were ok (but nothing exceptionally good). But then at the very end
there were two or so levels which were hard and rather pointless,
those dark volcano levels etc. you mentioned. Maybe the last 5% of the
game or so. ;)  I also hate boss fights where you are locked into a
small room with an ├╝berpowerful end boss, and I think FarCry had just
that. In such end-boss battles you don't get to use any tactics to
defeat it, besides "shoot like hell and maybe hop around a bit, hoping
for the end boss to die first".

Come to think of it, XIII had also very bad and irritating end boss
fights, and there were MANY of them.

>HL2 *is* linear but had lots of great set pieces. Unlike many I dont have a
>prob with linearity (except for MOHPA where you're in a jungle and you cant
>move off a six feet wide path).

At many points, Half-life 2 was too much of a "go/drive to the next
point to be blocked by the next puzzle you need to solve, or a fight
to fight". A bit like glorified Serious Sam where you were locked into
a fighting arena over and over again, except that the shootouts in SS
were actually fun, almost like ballet with big guns.

>Unlike others I also loved the water levels of HL2 - I tend to race through
>that rather than putter and it can be an exhilerating ride.

The water level(s) in HL2 were an ok change, but like with rest of the
game, sooo linear. Almost like driving in a pipe.

>You moaned
>about the missile launcher with the gunship - I had no issues with that -
>what were yours?

Mainly that you have to be visible to the gunship (and its shots)
while you guide the missile to it. You tend to get damage all the time
that way. Also the gunship parts I've seen make you run from your
cover all the time, e.g. in the section where two gunships are buzzing
over you. You need to go to the upper ledge box to get new rockets
from time to time, and sometimes other nearby places to get more
health. And get more damage while doing so from the two gunships. It
is a prime example of a part where the game makes you play it with the
mode "I have to save after each successful hit without much of damage,
and reload often".

Before someone claims I am just not good enough, I played FarCry,
Serious Sam and SS: Second Encounter through with the highest
difficulty levels, and didn't have much of problem. I think I've seen
many people complain about the difficulty level of those games, even
in lower difficulty setting.

>Tried swirling or spiralling the missile round and up the
>backside of the gunship?

Doing so, especially with two gunships, would end up with you taking
even more damage, as you were visible to them for a longer time.

>All in all however it was one of the best games I have played in
>that it was fun - just fun. Serious Sam was similar in the fun aspect.

I would say I have been quite underwhelmed by the actual shooting
parts of HL2. I don't see the similarity to Serious Sam at all. In SS
you would have lots of enemies coming at you, and you would have to
come up with some sort of pattern to move in the field in order to
survive them, depending what kind of enemies were incoming (think what
weapons and patterns you would use against a pack of bulls, or those
skeleton "horses", or the frogs, or the winged creatures, or the
headless guys, or the second-biggest fire casters). I haven't seen
anything like that in HL2.

>I haven't finished SS2 though.
>I got to a part with what seems like thousands of little bloody hairy things
>that explode when they touch you. I'm trapped in a large chamber with them
>continually spawning. Know it? That part was impossible for me and
>therefore was not fun. Tried it many times and then gave up. Haven't
>played it since. Any tips?

If only I knew what you mean by the "exploding hairy things". Frogs?
The headless guys? There must have been so many levels with them.
There were a couple of levels where I remember having lots of trouble
in Second Encounter, like the cylindrical room where the gravity was
screwed, or the room where everyone including you would jump up and
down constantly. But for some reason on my second play-through I
passed those rooms quite fast. Still died quite a few times though.

>Painkiller was a similarly twitch shooter which
>I enjoyed - tried that one?

Not yet but I intend to. Demo seemed quite nice.
August 15, 2005 8:49:40 PM

> Doom 3 - great horror atmosFEAR. I didn't even mind the fact that it
> was dark a lot. Best played alone, in a dark room, at night. Be afraid.
> Be very afraid. I haven't tried the expansion pack yet.

I found the RoE expansion to be an improvement over Doom 3. Better weapons
and no (or at least much fewer) behind-the-back attacks. The Vulgars alone
are worth the price of admission. I found them to be much like Aliens; plus,
they throw fireballs.

You may find yourself using the Artifact much more than in the original, but
I highly recommend it.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 9:34:25 PM

knight37 wrote:

> I never finished DX:IW, because I got tired of seeing really long load
> screens all the time. Small levels with long load screens means not
> much fun to me. I loved the part where you kill the cockfighting lizard
> champion so that another lizard thing could win by default. That was
> pretty sweet. All in all I liked the game I just couldn't deal with the
> long loading times. So IMHO, if you can get past that, you will
> probably enjoy the game.

That's odd. I played DX:IW on a 4 year old machine (P4-1.8, 512MB, GF3)
running WinME with a and didn't experience anything like an inordinately
long load time. The game itself wasn't all that great, but the various
levels loaded quickly enough so that I didn't notice anything amiss. 10
seconds was about average.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:31:49 AM

Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> once tried to test me with:

> That's odd. I played DX:IW on a 4 year old machine (P4-1.8, 512MB, GF3)
> running WinME with a and didn't experience anything like an inordinately
> long load time. The game itself wasn't all that great, but the various
> levels loaded quickly enough so that I didn't notice anything amiss. 10
> seconds was about average.

Really? I timed it and it took a good 30-45 seconds or so on my system. And
then I added a fan made art pack that made it even worse.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:47:25 AM

Knight37 wrote:
> Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> once tried to test me with:
>

>>That's odd. I played DX:IW on a 4 year old machine (P4-1.8, 512MB, GF3)
>>running WinME with a and didn't experience anything like an inordinately
>>long load time. The game itself wasn't all that great, but the various
>>levels loaded quickly enough so that I didn't notice anything amiss. 10
>>seconds was about average.
>

> Really? I timed it and it took a good 30-45 seconds or so on my system. And
> then I added a fan made art pack that made it even worse.

Yup. Load times in DX:IW weren't even noticeable compared with some
other titles I have suffered through.
August 16, 2005 3:01:58 PM

"riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:36:53 +0100, "Shawk"
> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>

>>You moaned
>>about the missile launcher with the gunship - I had no issues with that -
>>what were yours?
>
> Mainly that you have to be visible to the gunship (and its shots)
> while you guide the missile to it.

I liked that the gunship turned to fire at the missile to protect itself
thus you were only exposed for as long as it took to get the shot off. Once
the shot is off the 'competition' is in guiding the missile to the gunship
before it is shot down, hence the spiralling and guiding it behind and up
the backside of the gunship. As you say that is harder with two gunships in
the air but I tend to find an overhang or other structure to fire from where
I can only see one in the sky at a time. IIRC on that (two gunship) level I
had a favourite corner within a few feet of a crate of ammo and partially
covered from an air attack by a balcony

> Before someone claims I am just not good enough, I played FarCry,
> Serious Sam and SS: Second Encounter through with the highest
> difficulty levels, and didn't have much of problem. I think I've seen
> many people complain about the difficulty level of those games, even
> in lower difficulty setting.

There is a knack to every game. I have it for the gunships on hardest
difficulty but can't finish SS2 yet - you can

>>All in all however it was one of the best games I have played in
>>that it was fun - just fun. Serious Sam was similar in the fun aspect.
>
> I would say I have been quite underwhelmed by the actual shooting
> parts of HL2. I don't see the similarity to Serious Sam at all. In SS
> you would have lots of enemies coming at you, and you would have to
> come up with some sort of pattern to move in the field in order to
> survive them, depending what kind of enemies were incoming (think what
> weapons and patterns you would use against a pack of bulls, or those
> skeleton "horses", or the frogs, or the winged creatures, or the
> headless guys, or the second-biggest fire casters). I haven't seen
> anything like that in HL2.

Irrelevant Riku in that this is not what I meant. I said that it was
similar in that I found it *fun* to play (I don't find many are nowadays).
The gameplay is completely different as you say but there were parts of HL2
that just made me laugh out loud.

>>I haven't finished SS2 though.
>>I got to a part with what seems like thousands of little bloody hairy
>>things
>>that explode when they touch you. I'm trapped in a large chamber with
>>them
>>continually spawning. Know it? That part was impossible for me and
>>therefore was not fun. Tried it many times and then gave up. Haven't
>>played it since. Any tips?
>
> If only I knew what you mean by the "exploding hairy things". Frogs?
> The headless guys? There must have been so many levels with them.
> There were a couple of levels where I remember having lots of trouble
> in Second Encounter, like the cylindrical room where the gravity was
> screwed, or the room where everyone including you would jump up and
> down constantly. But for some reason on my second play-through I
> passed those rooms quite fast. Still died quite a few times though.

Frogs? Hmm - that sounds familar. Frogs out of someone's nightmare though
:-) I'll have to load it up again and have another go.

>>Painkiller was a similarly twitch shooter which
>>I enjoyed - tried that one?
>
> Not yet but I intend to. Demo seemed quite nice.

Not quite as manic as SS2 but from what you've said you'd enjoy it.
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 11:50:11 PM

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> thought that a good way to
threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> "riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:36:53 +0100, "Shawk"
>> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
>>

>>>You moaned
>>>about the missile launcher with the gunship - I had no issues
>>>with that - what were yours?
>>
>> Mainly that you have to be visible to the gunship (and its shots)
>> while you guide the missile to it.
>
> I liked that the gunship turned to fire at the missile to protect
> itself thus you were only exposed for as long as it took to get
> the shot off. Once the shot is off the 'competition' is in
> guiding the missile to the gunship before it is shot down, hence
> the spiralling and guiding it behind and up the backside of the
> gunship. As you say that is harder with two gunships in the air
> but I tend to find an overhang or other structure to fire from
> where I can only see one in the sky at a time.

Not only that, but IIRC you could fire the missle before you even
emerged from cover. I would sit just out of sight, fire the missle
close to where the gunship would be, and just pop out right before
the missle got close to passing the gunship for terminal guidance.
Since the missle was not travelling directly towards the gunship for
most of the flight there was little chance of it getting shot out of
the air.

Good times.

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people
in large groups." -Despair.com
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 9:16:08 AM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:50:11 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Not only that, but IIRC you could fire the missle before you even
>emerged from cover. I would sit just out of sight, fire the missle
>close to where the gunship would be, and just pop out right before
>the missle got close to passing the gunship for terminal guidance.
>Since the missle was not travelling directly towards the gunship for
>most of the flight there was little chance of it getting shot out of
>the air.

I just completed HL2 yesterday, playing it in short dozes over the
weeks (it never really hooked me). Wasn't the original HL much longer
game? I was suprised how easy and straightforward the "end fight" was.
And holy macaroni how linear the whole game was! The best thing about
HL2 is that it is currently a good showcase game for PC to show to
your friends etc. due to the graphics (mainly the good looking
character models) and some of the locales.

Walter Mitty may be right though, I probably don't wish to replay
Half-life 2 ever again, let alone in ten years. The single-player has
really nothing to offer on replay due to the linear nature, and for
some reason the source versions of CS etc. haven't grapped me either.
Of course, that does not mean there aren't and won't be lots of other
PC games that I wish to replay years from now. I just hope they will
not be Steam games.

If only HL2 wasn't a Steam game, I could sell it away or maybe trade
it to some other PC game now that I have no use for it anymore. I
still want to keep TFC on my Steam account, so selling my Steam
account to someone else is not an option. This certainly is a good
money making machine for Valve, they are preventing second-hand PC
game sales and game trades.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:24:07 AM

Me either. Played it once and thats it. Uninstalled it. Never even
realy wanted to know what was going to happen. Boring story. Graphics
Average. Everything average realy.

Only reason everything thinks its good is because they have been
brainwashed and hopeing so MUCh it would be good they convinced
themself its good. Just to stop from being disapointed :p

I might reinstall it and play it again. Just to see if iam wrong ?

Bye.

!