Are there any good PC FPS out?

Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
can go and check the reviews.
47 answers Last reply
More about good

    If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
    disappointment my friend.

    :)

    Yeah, Deus Ex: IW is worth playing.

    flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

    >If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
    >disappointment my friend.
    >
    >:)

    Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.

    <alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
    > months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
    > DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
    > can go and check the reviews.

    Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
    but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.

    > Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
    > but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.

    Thief3, SplinterCell: CT

    rms

    On 8 Aug 2005 03:33:27 -0700, alfi286@aol.com wrote:

    >Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
    >months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
    >DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
    >can go and check the reviews.

    DX:IW isn't worth starting let alone continuing with, I hope you have
    played the original. In a similar vein is Vampire The
    Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good. Painkiller is good
    for mindless shooting. You may like Far Cry, personally I didn't a
    whole lot, but several people around here did.

    Far Cry ... Riddick ... Since when is Vampire an FPS :)?

    > In a similar vein is Vampire The
    > Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good.

    Yup, but I would emphasise it's not good _as an FPS_.
    As in, the FPS side of it is average, while the RPG aspect
    is great.

    --
    -pm

    http://oceanclub.blogspot.com

    "I've created an atmosphere where I'm a friend first, boss
    second. Probably entertainer third."

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:36:28 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
    wrote:

    >DX:IW isn't worth starting let alone continuing with, I hope you have
    >played the original. In a similar vein is Vampire The
    >Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good. Painkiller is good
    >for mindless shooting. You may like Far Cry, personally I didn't a
    >whole lot, but several people around here did.

    I'll second PainKiller, I just bought Doom3 in the bargain bin and
    PainKiller out-dooms Doom3.

    <alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
    > months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
    > DX:IW is worth continueing with?

    I'm afraid not because its terrible console stuff.

    > Just chuck a few names at me and I
    > can go and check the reviews.

    Painkiller
    Farcry

    > Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.

    There are literally tears of laughter flowing from my eyes at that one.
    Doom3
    hahahahahahaahahaahhahahahahahahaahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........etc.
    Good one !!

    "weretable and the undead chairs" <weretable@were.diningroom> wrote in
    message news:5s0ff117fvf30mftb27liu4l1bojij6t2e@4ax.com...
    > flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
    >>disappointment my friend.
    >>
    >>:)
    >
    > Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.

    All those games were great IMHO. All 3 are too different gameplay-wise to
    be compared to each other.

    "redTed" <redted@NTL3mbfinally.com> wrote in message
    > > Bah. Doom 3 and Riddick were both better.
    >
    > There are literally tears of laughter flowing from my eyes at that one.
    > Doom3

    hahahahahahaahahaahhahahahahahahaahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........etc.
    > Good one !!

    I honestly thought that he was joking too!

    Thus spake Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>, Mon, 08 Aug 2005 12:36:28 +0100,
    Anno Domini:

    >On 8 Aug 2005 03:33:27 -0700, alfi286@aol.com wrote:
    >
    >>Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
    >>months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
    >>DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
    >>can go and check the reviews.
    >
    >DX:IW isn't worth starting let alone continuing with, I hope you have
    >played the original. In a similar vein is Vampire The
    >Masquerade:Bloodlines, slightly buggy, but good. Painkiller is good
    >for mindless shooting. You may like Far Cry, personally I didn't a
    >whole lot, but several people around here did.

    I'll 2nd some of those: Far Cry; VTMB is a roleplaying game first &
    foremost; Unreal 2 if you missed it 1st time round; Serious Sam: The 2nd
    Encounter also if you missed it. If you're not stuck on a fps, Guild Wars is
    a great mmorpg with no monthly fee that's taking most of my time right now.

    More details alfi...

    --
    A killfile is a friend for life.

    x-no-archive: yes

    alfi286@aol.com wrote:

    <snip>

    these are all the fps pc games i know have been released since
    the beginning of this year

    horror
    .. the house of the dead iii
    .. painkiller black edition
    .. hellforces

    sci-fi
    .. star wars republic commando
    .. area 51
    .. project: snowblind
    .. doom 3: resurrection of evil
    .. psychotoxic
    .. pariah

    urban
    .. swat 4
    .. grand theft auto - san andreas

    military
    .. brothers in arms: road to hill 30
    .. close combat: first to fight
    .. delta force xtreme
    .. boiling point road to hell

    deathmatch
    .. gotcha
    .. battlefield 2

    non of these titles are abusive and against consumer rights
    like the one you just finished so rest assured the nightmare
    is now over and you can return buying playing and patching
    pc games like it has been for over a decade and the way it
    should always be forever, so next time PLEASE think twice
    before buying any steam infected game

    good buying and please always play pc games you own and you
    have legally bought
    don't lend or make copies of your own pc game titles to give
    away to your friends or others
    always check if you are buying original merchandise and not
    counterfeiting
    never use p2p either to get or to share for commercial games
    actively fight against piracy in pc games
    support and protect your favorite hobby
    long live pc games

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    <alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
    > months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
    > DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
    > can go and check the reviews.

    Painkiller

    FarCry

    Chronicles of Riddick - start with this one!

    Battlefield2

    GTA:SA (not quite FPS but the best single player experience after Deus Ex
    IMO)

    Brothers In Arms

    Boiling Point:Road to Hell (very very buggy - "flawed genius")

    Doom3 (first half is good, second half not so.)

    Check out www.gamerankings.com
    www.fileplanet.com

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Bateau wrote:

    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    > >
    > >Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
    > >but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.
    >
    > Actually none of those are "very good."

    But HL2 isn't "very good" either...

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:26:46 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >But HL2 isn't "very good" either...

    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914642.asp?q=half%20life%202

    and umpteen GOTY awards would seem to disagree with you.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Bateau wrote:
    >
    >> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different
    >> >games
    >> >but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the
    >> >Autumn.
    >>
    >> Actually none of those are "very good."
    >
    > But HL2 isn't "very good" either...

    You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:26:46 +0200, Werner Spahl
    > <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
    >
    > >But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
    >
    > http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914642.asp?q=half%20life%202

    The other games Bateau claimed to be not "very good" reach 88-91% in these
    rankings, so they shouldn't be much worse compared to the 96% of HL2 ;)...

    > and umpteen GOTY awards would seem to disagree with you.

    GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:27:40 +0200, Werner Spahl
    <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

    >GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

    In other words, "my favourite game didn't get any so they are
    rubbish".
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Werner Spahl wrote:

    > GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

    yeah sure. and all the positive user reviews are just bunk too eh?
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >Werner Spahl wrote:
    >>

    >> GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.
    >>

    >yeah sure. and all the positive user reviews are just bunk too eh?

    At least some of them are.

    You mean you haven't read "reviews" where it's apparent the person
    hasn't even played the game.

    The worst one I recall was for TR:AOD, with a fanboy giving it top marks
    without having even SEEN it, because he was a Tomb Raider fan and just
    KNEW it would be great.

    Xocyll
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Andrew wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:27:40 +0200, Werner Spahl
    > <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
    >
    > >GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.
    >
    > In other words, "my favourite game didn't get any so they are
    > rubbish".

    Rather more like "hype and whatever other reasons don't only swing the
    public but reviewers as well."

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    ><alfi286@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Just about finished HL2. Not been following games scene for last 12
    >> months. Anything else as good as HL2 at the moment? Anyone know if
    >> DX:IW is worth continueing with? Just chuck a few names at me and I
    >> can go and check the reviews.
    >>

    >Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
    >but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.

    Actually none of those are "very good."
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    rms wrote:
    >>Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
    >>but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.
    >

    > Thief3, SplinterCell: CT
    >
    > rms

    The OP said "FPS". SC:CT doesn't count.

    As for Thief 3, that could be considered a FPS if you take the acronym
    to mean "First-Person Sneaker".
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message

    >>> Actually none of those are "very good."
    >>
    >> But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
    >>

    >You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?

    I like playing cowboy with your mom.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
    > "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >>
    >>"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message

    >>> But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
    >>>

    >>You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?
    >
    > I like playing cowboy with your mom.

    Dont be a twat. What games do you like?
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:40:08 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >Dont be a twat. What games do you like?

    He likes playing a twat on usenet.
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Xocyll wrote:

    > Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >
    > >Werner Spahl wrote:
    > >>
    > >> GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.
    > >
    > >yeah sure. and all the positive user reviews are just bunk too eh?
    >
    > At least some of them are.
    >
    > You mean you haven't read "reviews" where it's apparent the person
    > hasn't even played the game.

    Also why should people linger around forums or websites and post reviews
    if they didn't like the game in the first place? As all of you know, I
    like to voice my criticism here if someone hypes a game I think doesn't
    deserve it, but even I never bother to write bad reviews somewhere ;).

  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Werner Spahl <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> thought that a good way to
    threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
    guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

    > GOTY awards are as significant as the Oscars or the Nobel prizes.

    I would say that they're about as signifigant as the Grammy (ie. not at
    all).

    --
    Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people

    Xocyll wrote:

    > You mean you haven't read "reviews" where it's apparent the person
    > hasn't even played the game.

    It happens sure : the nature of the web and fanboyz. Not the majority
    though.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Moore wrote:
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:40:08 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >

    >>Dont be a twat. What games do you like?
    >>

    > He likes playing a twat on usenet.

    Killfiles are a game played best with Bateau.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >"Bateau" <Gamera@work.stomping.aza> wrote in message
    >> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message

    >>>You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?
    >>
    >> I like playing cowboy with your mom.
    >
    >Dont be a twat. What games do you like?

    Soldat.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 8 Aug 2005 03:45:00 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:

    >If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
    >disappointment my friend.
    >
    >:)

    Well... I don't know. At times HL2 is ok, but it never really got me
    hooked. I paused playing it for several weeks (partly due to the
    NON-WORKING OFFLINE MODE OF STEAM), and even went to replay Serious
    Sam and SS: Second Encounter the second time, and remembered again why
    the Serious Sam games were such great fun (albeit repetitive) to play.

    Anyway, HL2 gameplay is much too linear for my taste, compared to many
    other FPS like FarCry. It even has had some very irritating sections,
    one being the one where you go on the beach trying not to wake up the
    antlions or whatever they were (dragging around a couple of doors to
    walk on is not my idea of fun).

    Some sections are supposed to be original like using the antlions to
    fight for you in Nova Prospekt etc., but that got old quite fast.

    I don't know, mostly I just remember the great graphics and good
    character models in HL2, that's about it. Decided to try to finish the
    game this week, but now the offline mode refused to work yet another
    time (got a new NIC earlier, yet to install it). Hmmm, maybe I really
    should try to track down those Half-life 2 cracks that Andrew etc.
    have been advertising many times, maybe they let me play the game
    offline properly.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 16:13:14 +0800, Bateau <Gamera@work.stomping.aza>
    wrote:

    >"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >
    >>Check out Riddick, Brothers in Arms and Far Cry. All very different games
    >>but very good. They'll keep you going until FEAR comes out in the Autumn.
    >
    >Actually none of those are "very good."

    If you have that high standards for calling a game "very good", you
    could argue whether HL2 is either. I genuinely think I got more
    gameplay out of e.g. FarCry than I've got out of HL2 so far. Only the
    very ending of FarCry was rather poor, the last two levels or so.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:37:17 GMT, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:

    >On 8 Aug 2005 03:45:00 -0700, flightlessvacuum@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>If you play any FPS after HL2 you will only be setting yourself up for
    >>disappointment my friend.
    >>
    >>:)
    >
    >Well... I don't know. At times HL2 is ok, but it never really got me
    >hooked. I paused playing it for several weeks (partly due to the
    >NON-WORKING OFFLINE MODE OF STEAM), and even went to replay Serious
    >Sam and SS: Second Encounter the second time, and remembered again why
    >the Serious Sam games were such great fun (albeit repetitive) to play.

    SS is much better played when you have friends playing. For example, when
    you find the secret watcher and point it out to your friend, there's a high
    chance that your friend will soon discover the giant kamakazie secret by
    himself.

    Basically, gameplay becomes a bit more unpredictable.

    >Anyway, HL2 gameplay is much too linear for my taste, compared to many
    >other FPS like FarCry. It even has had some very irritating sections,
    >one being the one where you go on the beach trying not to wake up the
    >antlions or whatever they were (dragging around a couple of doors to
    >walk on is not my idea of fun).

    It's not realistic either - especially since they don't react to throwing
    stuff at the ground.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:51:10 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >"Werner Spahl" <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote in message
    >>> Actually none of those are "very good."
    >>
    >> But HL2 isn't "very good" either...
    >>

    >You guys dont like FPS then? What games *do* you like?

    I must say HL2 didn't feel very much like FPS (first person SHOOTER)
    when I was "driving" the sand buggy, guiding the antlions around or
    dragging a few pieces of wood with the gravity gun in order to walk on
    the beach without waking up the antlions. More like a simplified and
    linear action-adventure for those particular sections. I'm surprised
    how little actual shooting action there has been in HL2 so far.

    Which reminds me: I hate the parts in HL2 where you are supposed to
    shoot down enemy helicopters with the poorly working manually guided
    missiles. Save-reload-save-reload ad nauseam. Heck, and then some
    people complained the FarCry helicopters were irritating!

    I guess my favourite single-player FPS games for now are FarCry (for
    the open and quite non-linear levels) and Serious Sam games (for the
    simple but fun no-bullshit gameplay).
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:36:53 +0100, "Shawk"
    <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    >I loved first 3/4 of Far Cry but then I just got bored. I think it was from
    >that part with volcanoes and lots of the big guys with missile launchers for
    >arms.

    I don't recall the whole last 25% of FarCry being that bad, I'd say
    pretty much all the outdoor levels in it were great, and indoor levels
    were ok (but nothing exceptionally good). But then at the very end
    there were two or so levels which were hard and rather pointless,
    those dark volcano levels etc. you mentioned. Maybe the last 5% of the
    game or so. ;) I also hate boss fights where you are locked into a
    small room with an überpowerful end boss, and I think FarCry had just
    that. In such end-boss battles you don't get to use any tactics to
    defeat it, besides "shoot like hell and maybe hop around a bit, hoping
    for the end boss to die first".

    Come to think of it, XIII had also very bad and irritating end boss
    fights, and there were MANY of them.

    >HL2 *is* linear but had lots of great set pieces. Unlike many I dont have a
    >prob with linearity (except for MOHPA where you're in a jungle and you cant
    >move off a six feet wide path).

    At many points, Half-life 2 was too much of a "go/drive to the next
    point to be blocked by the next puzzle you need to solve, or a fight
    to fight". A bit like glorified Serious Sam where you were locked into
    a fighting arena over and over again, except that the shootouts in SS
    were actually fun, almost like ballet with big guns.

    >Unlike others I also loved the water levels of HL2 - I tend to race through
    >that rather than putter and it can be an exhilerating ride.

    The water level(s) in HL2 were an ok change, but like with rest of the
    game, sooo linear. Almost like driving in a pipe.

    >You moaned
    >about the missile launcher with the gunship - I had no issues with that -
    >what were yours?

    Mainly that you have to be visible to the gunship (and its shots)
    while you guide the missile to it. You tend to get damage all the time
    that way. Also the gunship parts I've seen make you run from your
    cover all the time, e.g. in the section where two gunships are buzzing
    over you. You need to go to the upper ledge box to get new rockets
    from time to time, and sometimes other nearby places to get more
    health. And get more damage while doing so from the two gunships. It
    is a prime example of a part where the game makes you play it with the
    mode "I have to save after each successful hit without much of damage,
    and reload often".

    Before someone claims I am just not good enough, I played FarCry,
    Serious Sam and SS: Second Encounter through with the highest
    difficulty levels, and didn't have much of problem. I think I've seen
    many people complain about the difficulty level of those games, even
    in lower difficulty setting.

    >Tried swirling or spiralling the missile round and up the
    >backside of the gunship?

    Doing so, especially with two gunships, would end up with you taking
    even more damage, as you were visible to them for a longer time.

    >All in all however it was one of the best games I have played in
    >that it was fun - just fun. Serious Sam was similar in the fun aspect.

    I would say I have been quite underwhelmed by the actual shooting
    parts of HL2. I don't see the similarity to Serious Sam at all. In SS
    you would have lots of enemies coming at you, and you would have to
    come up with some sort of pattern to move in the field in order to
    survive them, depending what kind of enemies were incoming (think what
    weapons and patterns you would use against a pack of bulls, or those
    skeleton "horses", or the frogs, or the winged creatures, or the
    headless guys, or the second-biggest fire casters). I haven't seen
    anything like that in HL2.

    >I haven't finished SS2 though.
    >I got to a part with what seems like thousands of little bloody hairy things
    >that explode when they touch you. I'm trapped in a large chamber with them
    >continually spawning. Know it? That part was impossible for me and
    >therefore was not fun. Tried it many times and then gave up. Haven't
    >played it since. Any tips?

    If only I knew what you mean by the "exploding hairy things". Frogs?
    The headless guys? There must have been so many levels with them.
    There were a couple of levels where I remember having lots of trouble
    in Second Encounter, like the cylindrical room where the gravity was
    screwed, or the room where everyone including you would jump up and
    down constantly. But for some reason on my second play-through I
    passed those rooms quite fast. Still died quite a few times though.

    >Painkiller was a similarly twitch shooter which
    >I enjoyed - tried that one?

    Not yet but I intend to. Demo seemed quite nice.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > Doom 3 - great horror atmosFEAR. I didn't even mind the fact that it
    > was dark a lot. Best played alone, in a dark room, at night. Be afraid.
    > Be very afraid. I haven't tried the expansion pack yet.

    I found the RoE expansion to be an improvement over Doom 3. Better weapons
    and no (or at least much fewer) behind-the-back attacks. The Vulgars alone
    are worth the price of admission. I found them to be much like Aliens; plus,
    they throw fireballs.

    You may find yourself using the Artifact much more than in the original, but
    I highly recommend it.
  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    knight37 wrote:

    > I never finished DX:IW, because I got tired of seeing really long load
    > screens all the time. Small levels with long load screens means not
    > much fun to me. I loved the part where you kill the cockfighting lizard
    > champion so that another lizard thing could win by default. That was
    > pretty sweet. All in all I liked the game I just couldn't deal with the
    > long loading times. So IMHO, if you can get past that, you will
    > probably enjoy the game.

    That's odd. I played DX:IW on a 4 year old machine (P4-1.8, 512MB, GF3)
    running WinME with a and didn't experience anything like an inordinately
    long load time. The game itself wasn't all that great, but the various
    levels loaded quickly enough so that I didn't notice anything amiss. 10
    seconds was about average.
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> once tried to test me with:

    > That's odd. I played DX:IW on a 4 year old machine (P4-1.8, 512MB, GF3)
    > running WinME with a and didn't experience anything like an inordinately
    > long load time. The game itself wasn't all that great, but the various
    > levels loaded quickly enough so that I didn't notice anything amiss. 10
    > seconds was about average.

    Really? I timed it and it took a good 30-45 seconds or so on my system. And
    then I added a fan made art pack that made it even worse.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Knight37 wrote:
    > Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> once tried to test me with:
    >

    >>That's odd. I played DX:IW on a 4 year old machine (P4-1.8, 512MB, GF3)
    >>running WinME with a and didn't experience anything like an inordinately
    >>long load time. The game itself wasn't all that great, but the various
    >>levels loaded quickly enough so that I didn't notice anything amiss. 10
    >>seconds was about average.
    >

    > Really? I timed it and it took a good 30-45 seconds or so on my system. And
    > then I added a fan made art pack that made it even worse.

    Yup. Load times in DX:IW weren't even noticeable compared with some
    other titles I have suffered through.
  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:36:53 +0100, "Shawk"
    > <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >

    >>You moaned
    >>about the missile launcher with the gunship - I had no issues with that -
    >>what were yours?
    >
    > Mainly that you have to be visible to the gunship (and its shots)
    > while you guide the missile to it.

    I liked that the gunship turned to fire at the missile to protect itself
    thus you were only exposed for as long as it took to get the shot off. Once
    the shot is off the 'competition' is in guiding the missile to the gunship
    before it is shot down, hence the spiralling and guiding it behind and up
    the backside of the gunship. As you say that is harder with two gunships in
    the air but I tend to find an overhang or other structure to fire from where
    I can only see one in the sky at a time. IIRC on that (two gunship) level I
    had a favourite corner within a few feet of a crate of ammo and partially
    covered from an air attack by a balcony

    > Before someone claims I am just not good enough, I played FarCry,
    > Serious Sam and SS: Second Encounter through with the highest
    > difficulty levels, and didn't have much of problem. I think I've seen
    > many people complain about the difficulty level of those games, even
    > in lower difficulty setting.

    There is a knack to every game. I have it for the gunships on hardest
    difficulty but can't finish SS2 yet - you can

    >>All in all however it was one of the best games I have played in
    >>that it was fun - just fun. Serious Sam was similar in the fun aspect.
    >
    > I would say I have been quite underwhelmed by the actual shooting
    > parts of HL2. I don't see the similarity to Serious Sam at all. In SS
    > you would have lots of enemies coming at you, and you would have to
    > come up with some sort of pattern to move in the field in order to
    > survive them, depending what kind of enemies were incoming (think what
    > weapons and patterns you would use against a pack of bulls, or those
    > skeleton "horses", or the frogs, or the winged creatures, or the
    > headless guys, or the second-biggest fire casters). I haven't seen
    > anything like that in HL2.

    Irrelevant Riku in that this is not what I meant. I said that it was
    similar in that I found it *fun* to play (I don't find many are nowadays).
    The gameplay is completely different as you say but there were parts of HL2
    that just made me laugh out loud.

    >>I haven't finished SS2 though.
    >>I got to a part with what seems like thousands of little bloody hairy
    >>things
    >>that explode when they touch you. I'm trapped in a large chamber with
    >>them
    >>continually spawning. Know it? That part was impossible for me and
    >>therefore was not fun. Tried it many times and then gave up. Haven't
    >>played it since. Any tips?
    >
    > If only I knew what you mean by the "exploding hairy things". Frogs?
    > The headless guys? There must have been so many levels with them.
    > There were a couple of levels where I remember having lots of trouble
    > in Second Encounter, like the cylindrical room where the gravity was
    > screwed, or the room where everyone including you would jump up and
    > down constantly. But for some reason on my second play-through I
    > passed those rooms quite fast. Still died quite a few times though.

    Frogs? Hmm - that sounds familar. Frogs out of someone's nightmare though
    :-) I'll have to load it up again and have another go.

    >>Painkiller was a similarly twitch shooter which
    >>I enjoyed - tried that one?
    >
    > Not yet but I intend to. Demo seemed quite nice.

    Not quite as manic as SS2 but from what you've said you'd enjoy it.
  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> thought that a good way to
    threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
    guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

    > "riku" <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:36:53 +0100, "Shawk"
    >> <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:
    >>

    >>>You moaned
    >>>about the missile launcher with the gunship - I had no issues
    >>>with that - what were yours?
    >>
    >> Mainly that you have to be visible to the gunship (and its shots)
    >> while you guide the missile to it.
    >
    > I liked that the gunship turned to fire at the missile to protect
    > itself thus you were only exposed for as long as it took to get
    > the shot off. Once the shot is off the 'competition' is in
    > guiding the missile to the gunship before it is shot down, hence
    > the spiralling and guiding it behind and up the backside of the
    > gunship. As you say that is harder with two gunships in the air
    > but I tend to find an overhang or other structure to fire from
    > where I can only see one in the sky at a time.

    Not only that, but IIRC you could fire the missle before you even
    emerged from cover. I would sit just out of sight, fire the missle
    close to where the gunship would be, and just pop out right before
    the missle got close to passing the gunship for terminal guidance.
    Since the missle was not travelling directly towards the gunship for
    most of the flight there was little chance of it getting shot out of
    the air.

    Good times.

    --
    Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people
    in large groups." -Despair.com
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:50:11 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Not only that, but IIRC you could fire the missle before you even
    >emerged from cover. I would sit just out of sight, fire the missle
    >close to where the gunship would be, and just pop out right before
    >the missle got close to passing the gunship for terminal guidance.
    >Since the missle was not travelling directly towards the gunship for
    >most of the flight there was little chance of it getting shot out of
    >the air.

    I just completed HL2 yesterday, playing it in short dozes over the
    weeks (it never really hooked me). Wasn't the original HL much longer
    game? I was suprised how easy and straightforward the "end fight" was.
    And holy macaroni how linear the whole game was! The best thing about
    HL2 is that it is currently a good showcase game for PC to show to
    your friends etc. due to the graphics (mainly the good looking
    character models) and some of the locales.

    Walter Mitty may be right though, I probably don't wish to replay
    Half-life 2 ever again, let alone in ten years. The single-player has
    really nothing to offer on replay due to the linear nature, and for
    some reason the source versions of CS etc. haven't grapped me either.
    Of course, that does not mean there aren't and won't be lots of other
    PC games that I wish to replay years from now. I just hope they will
    not be Steam games.

    If only HL2 wasn't a Steam game, I could sell it away or maybe trade
    it to some other PC game now that I have no use for it anymore. I
    still want to keep TFC on my Steam account, so selling my Steam
    account to someone else is not an option. This certainly is a good
    money making machine for Valve, they are preventing second-hand PC
    game sales and game trades.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Me either. Played it once and thats it. Uninstalled it. Never even
    realy wanted to know what was going to happen. Boring story. Graphics
    Average. Everything average realy.

    Only reason everything thinks its good is because they have been
    brainwashed and hopeing so MUCh it would be good they convinced
    themself its good. Just to stop from being disapointed :p

    I might reinstall it and play it again. Just to see if iam wrong ?

    Bye.

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 05:16:08 GMT, riku <riku@none.invalid.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:50:11 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Not only that, but IIRC you could fire the missle before you even
    >>emerged from cover. I would sit just out of sight, fire the missle
    >>close to where the gunship would be, and just pop out right before
    >>the missle got close to passing the gunship for terminal guidance.
    >>Since the missle was not travelling directly towards the gunship for
    >>most of the flight there was little chance of it getting shot out of
    >>the air.
    >
    >I just completed HL2 yesterday, playing it in short dozes over the
    >weeks (it never really hooked me). Wasn't the original HL much longer
    >game? I was suprised how easy and straightforward the "end fight" was.
    >And holy macaroni how linear the whole game was! The best thing about
    >HL2 is that it is currently a good showcase game for PC to show to
    >your friends etc. due to the graphics (mainly the good looking
    >character models) and some of the locales.
    >
    >Walter Mitty may be right though, I probably don't wish to replay
    >Half-life 2 ever again, let alone in ten years. The single-player has
    >really nothing to offer on replay due to the linear nature, and for
    >some reason the source versions of CS etc. haven't grapped me either.
    >Of course, that does not mean there aren't and won't be lots of other
    >PC games that I wish to replay years from now. I just hope they will
    >not be Steam games.
    >
    >If only HL2 wasn't a Steam game, I could sell it away or maybe trade
    >it to some other PC game now that I have no use for it anymore. I
    >still want to keep TFC on my Steam account, so selling my Steam
    >account to someone else is not an option. This certainly is a good
    >money making machine for Valve, they are preventing second-hand PC
    >game sales and game trades.

PC gaming Games FPS Video Games