ps/2 port defective?

dunhill76

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002
my mobo won't recognize a ps/2 keyboard on boot, i've tried 2 different power supplies and doing a post with the board out of the case still nothing. anyway to fix it or am i going to have to rma the board?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
If anyone you know has a usb keyboard, try that first. It might just be some REALLY weird drivers screwing with ur system.. Who knows (USB mouse and keyboard are much better than ps2 btw).

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

dunhill76

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2002
i've tried a usb keyboard, still no luck there isn't an OS installed as of yet because i can't get into the bios to set up the HD etc. i've tried 2 different power supplies, the keyboard seems to get power on boot however when i hit delete to enter the bios nothing happens and i'm stuck at the post screen, i'm not getting any error codes or beep codes, so i'm guessing that it is detecting it on boot otherwise i'd get the no keyboard message. i'm at a lose at this point.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had this occur with a board where the pins on the keboard controller (a chip usually between the back of the board and the PCI slots) were bent and contacting each other, do to contact with something (maybe a screwdriver). Separated the pins and everything was OK. I've seen bad keyboard connectors also.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>