Sign in with
Your question

Please help WD question

Last response: in Storage
September 11, 2002 12:03:45 AM

WDC WD1000JB-32CWE0 i have the Western Digital special edition 100Gig drive with 8 meg cache.. ive been having problems with pc rebooting itself and such.. once it came up.. and couldnt find it.. so i figured it was ide controller on board... i got new motherboard the new asus a7v8x and it did it to me here too.. anyone heard of a drive messing up like that? after i reboot when it cant find it.. it comes back up fine

More about : question

September 11, 2002 12:55:43 PM

Why do you suspect the drive? With the information you provide it possible (and IMO more likely) to be something else. E.g. powersupply, loose powerconnections, RAM, Graphicscard. etc. Do you overclock? Try memory test.
September 11, 2002 5:00:06 PM

Hammerbot is right, I almost always find that instant restarts are a bad power supply. Freezing and then not seeing the drive tends to be either the harddrive, or more likely, the ide ribbon needs to be re-seated in the drive and on the motherboard.

Go grab the Western Digital diagnostics wdgdiag or the IBM drive fitness test. See if it reports anything for the drive.
Related resources
September 11, 2002 5:59:27 PM

Yes I initially thought the same... but i thought the board, after i was told psu is fine... so i baught a new board and it did it again.. besides the restarting which can be a million things... after it reboots sometimes it cannot find the drive till i reboot it again then it will see it. its a strange problem..
September 11, 2002 5:59:53 PM

Yes I initially thought the same... but i thought the board, after i was told psu is fine... so i baught a new board and it did it again.. besides the restarting which can be a million things... after it reboots sometimes it cannot find the drive till i reboot it again then it will see it. its a strange problem.. but its not doing it while im using this 40gig WD drive.. this is how i figure must be the 100gig
September 11, 2002 6:19:47 PM

List your system components, including the brands.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
September 11, 2002 6:26:36 PM

I checked the power consumption of the 100GB drive versus other 40GB drives and at the very worst, the power consumption has stayed the same with a 17W pull at startup, but at the best, it actually dropped.

On the amps side though it increased a little bit. Really depends on which 40GB drive you had.

It still sounds like a power issue though. Consider installing motherboard monitor and checking to see if all your rails are ok.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
September 11, 2002 9:55:08 PM

Asus A7V8X
Athlon XP 2200+ Tbred
2x 512 MB pc3000 cas2
1 WD 100 Gig Special Edition Drive 8 meg cache
Winfast GF4 ti4200 (just replaced Radeon 8500 128MB)
Turle Beach Santa Cruz
40x Samsung Burner with 8 meg cache
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
Antech Soho File server with 400W PSU (after monitoring with asus probe voltages seem fine)
3com ethernet card

As I mentioned.. i put in a different harddrive after replacing video and motherboard... and problems seems to have ceased.. So im pretty confident its the harddrive.. else it would happen still with this replacement drive
September 12, 2002 11:39:55 PM

Asus Probe is the same thing :)  i had motherboard monitor on before it... 5v line holds around 4.85-4.83
rest was normal... but the 5v line according to most is normal... my friend using same psu with 5 drives.. and he is having no problem with power consuption :( 
!