JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
ok guys... i'll cut to the point. I am definetely gona get a burner for my new system. I'm not a newbie in cd-rw's, but would like an opinion or criticism, or idea.

I don't know if i should get a 48x lite on, or wait that little extra bit and might as well get a dvd-rw. i heard sony is coming out w/ one that supports the dvd-rw and dvd+rw, along w/ -r and +r. Should i wait for that? Or should i wait for the blue ray dvd burners... how long until these blue ray dvd burners come out, because i do like the idea of fitting 30 gigs of anything on a dvd rather than a measly 4.7 gig. Will it be worth the wait? or should i just get the lite on 48x. Oh, and BTW, whats lite on gonna come out w/ now that it appears 48x is the max in cdrw's. Will they come out with a 52x burner? or switch now to dvdrw's?

All, alot, some, and any advice/criticism is welcome; as long as its instructive and useful.

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Dude.

Just what the h3ll are you doing where 3.8gig/layer isn't enough storage space?

Now, I personally would like to load all 3 disks of mandrake, plus open office 1.1, plus all the plugins and winex stuff onto one dvd+r. That would be like, really convienient.

And blue light is at least a year off. Coupled with the fact that it will be really, really slow at first, and the media price will be outrageous. So, that 4x (4meg/sec) dvd burner will be serving you very well for at least the next 18 months, if not 24.

Liteon cd burners are the way to go right now, if you only have $70 to spend. They are fast, reliable, overclockable, and compatible with every burning program I've ever used.

P@ll4dium f0r L1f3!

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
well ej, i have TONS of "stuff" that I want/need to back up. I unfortunately got an IBM hard drive, and if i would have read the posts on Toms, i would have known how bad these IBM hdd's are. However, since i didn't, im stuck with a hard drive that i don't know when it'll give out on me... perhaps it won't at all... who knows.

Nevertheless, I don't want to waste about 30 cdr's on backing up my files and stuff (no, im not backing up my program's or OS, just files and "stuff"), and or its equivalent in dvd's; like about 6 or 6 dvd's. It would be very convenient to use just 1 blue-ray dvd.

So then now, which would be better in terms of $$$: cd's still, dvd+rw's, or wait for the blue-rays?

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I still like CDRW drives. They're cheap, reliable, and standardized. If anything goes wrong with a drive your backups are readable on any CDROM/CDRW (provided you use good quality media).

How interchangeable are DVD data discs should something go wrong with your drive? What if you burn all DVD-R discs and in the future DVD+R is the standard, or BlueRay, or Toshiba blue laser?

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The call is yours to make.

But I'll tell you this:

Excellent quality 80min cdr's (gold bottom) run about $.32/cdr at Wally World. They come in spindles of 100. There have been no dvd players in the past 12months that will not read an audio cdrom, which means they all have a 650nm laser in there.

I have no idea what "quality" dvd-r's are, but I've seen them on <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">http://www.pricewatch.com</A> for anywhere between $1/dvd-r and $1.50/dvd-r. There's a whole list of stuff that does not like dvd-r. Players mainly; very few dvd-rom drives have problems.

Dvd+r all run between $2 and $3 dollars on pricewatch. Not a whole lot of places carry them. If you look at <A HREF="http://www.vcdhelp.com" target="_new">http://www.vcdhelp.com</A>, that will give you a good indication of what kind of "compatibility" the dvd's have. On the average (70%), a dvd player will use a dvd+rw just fine. Dvd+r are a little more quirky, but still have a good following (40%).

So, if space is a premium, then obviously you want to by DVD+R, double sided disks. I don't think there's anything under $10,000 that will write dual layers yet.

If you have space to waste, and you need to be able to use your "stuff" on other people's machines, then you will want a cdrw drive.

P@ll4dium f0r L1f3!