What do you think of Frontier Tango?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are those A/D converters generally better than those in audio
interfaces, e.g., MOTU 828MKII? If I connected the Tango to the MOTU
via lightpipe, what would happen? Better converters? Lower jitter?
Hey, is this forum still about audio gear?

In article <2bd18a8f.0409172010.7a260a36@posting.google.com> bayareamusician@hotmail.com writes:

> Are those A/D converters generally better than those in audio
> interfaces, e.g., MOTU 828MKII? If I connected the Tango to the MOTU
> via lightpipe, what would happen? Better converters? Lower jitter?

Do you have a Tango? Do you have an MOTU 828 MKII? If so, why not
connect them and listen for yourself? Or are you thinking about buying
something like a Tango to use with something like a MOTU?

What would you like to do that you can't already do?

On 17 Sep 2004 21:10:51 -0700, bayareamusician@hotmail.com (bayydogg)
wrote:

>Are those A/D converters generally better than those in audio
>interfaces, e.g., MOTU 828MKII? If I connected the Tango to the MOTU
>via lightpipe, what would happen? Better converters? Lower jitter?
>Hey, is this forum still about audio gear?

I've got a Tango24. It sounds better than the converters in any Alesis
ADAT, but about the same as the converters in my Alesis HD24. I
haven't had a chance to compare it with anything else.

Mike T.

> Are those A/D converters generally better than those in audio
> interfaces, e.g., MOTU 828MKII? If I connected the Tango to the MOTU
> via lightpipe, what would happen? Better converters? Lower jitter?
> Hey, is this forum still about audio gear?

There's three general classes of A/D, in order of worst to best:
- old integrated chips
- new integrated chips
- discrete componentry

The 828mk2 and Tango24 are both in the second category and won't be
substantially different in quality, though might present pros and cons.
Another product in that range is the $229 Behringer ADA8000, and it's
unlikely the A/D quality difference is worth the extra $400 for the T24.

I have a Tango24 hooked to an RME right now, but have operated for about 18
months plus with it hooked to a MOTU 2408 for 16 tracks. For 24 tracks I've
run through my Tascam DA38 for ancillary tracks that won't become an issue
during recording. My choice in order of sound quality is the Tango, the
MOTU then the DA38 and it's set up on my board that way. All are recorded
at 24 bit into Samplitude (with 32 bit float) and there's minimal difference
between one and the next one, but between the Tango and the DA38 there's
noticeable difference.

Does that answer your question?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

In article <VTN3d.124$By5.40582@read2.cgocable.net> nobody@home.com writes:

> There's three general classes of A/D, in order of worst to best:
> - old integrated chips
> - new integrated chips
> - discrete componentry
>
> The 828mk2 and Tango24 are both in the second category and won't be
> substantially different in quality, though might present pros and cons.
> Another product in that range is the $229 Behringer ADA8000, and it's
> unlikely the A/D quality difference is worth the extra $400 for the T24.

"New" covers a lot of ground. The Tango uses beyond what I'd consider
"old" chips, but it's, what, 4 years or more older than the Behringer?

In this case, I'd think more along the lines of "I wouldn't mind
having another 8 channels of mic preamp and A/D converter since I
already have a Lightpipe input" rather than "which is better, the
Behringer AD8000 or the Tango?"