Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Limited or no connectivity

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 28, 2012 3:08:05 PM

HI!

I have a spare computer I build. Its a FX-60 on some old asus 939 motherboard. I installed xp in it because I don't have any wireless network adapters that work with linux or Windows 7.

I am using an old Linksys WUSB11 Ver 2.6. USB adapter.

The computer does have connectivity if I plug in an ethernet cord from the router. Worked fine, fast, was able to install Sp3, etc.

I can't get the wireless to work. I get excellent connection strength, but can't actually do anything with it.

Since this is XP and I haven't messed around with XP network settings for years, I think I got a bit rusty and spoiled with Windows 7.

Any advice? thanks! :sweat: 

More about : limited connectivity

August 28, 2012 3:33:08 PM

what wireless mode are you using on your router?

usually B-wireless network cards only support WEP. If your router is set to WPA or WPA2 you will not be able to connect.
m
l
August 28, 2012 3:36:59 PM

Good question. The router is part of my Cable/telephone system and I didn't set it up, I will have to find out and see if there is an open to allow for B as well.
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2012 4:38:56 PM

It is set to g/b so that should not be the problem. Does my adapter support WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK? Or just open wep? This is one area I am not totally familiar with.
m
l

Best solution

August 28, 2012 4:42:16 PM

99% of all b wireless adapters only support WEP
August 28, 2012 4:47:10 PM

That must be it, thanks a lot.
m
l
August 28, 2012 6:22:44 PM

Best answer selected by xaephod.
m