Nvidia introduces nForce4 SLI X16 for AMD and Intel - Dell..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

FYI, see:-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_24795.html

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2493

No flipper-board, full x16 PCIe per (dual) video card. Total PCIe
channels: 38 AMD, 40 Intel. Very interesting indeed. See Anandtech's
analysis.

Dell is shipping the XPS600 already, afaik. So, third-party
motherboards should show up very shortly.

John Lewis

- Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
4 answers Last reply
More about nvidia introduces nforce4 intel dell
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > FYI, see:-
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_24795.html
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2493
    >
    > No flipper-board, full x16 PCIe per (dual) video card. Total PCIe
    > channels: 38 AMD, 40 Intel. Very interesting indeed. See Anandtech's
    > analysis.

    Any news if Intel is working on similar technology for their own chipsets?
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I heard that "Tim" <ixnay@ontheamspay.com> said:

    >Any news if Intel is working on similar technology for their own chipsets?

    Well, Intel has a cross licencing deal with Nvidia for the original
    Nforce 4 SL! and has a couple of boards out with it. I would guess
    that licence agreement will give them the technology in this updated
    nForce chipset and they'll just add it into thir existing 955 as with
    the earlier tech.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:16:44 -0400, "Tim" <ixnay@ontheamspay.com>
    wrote:

    >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> FYI, see:-
    >>
    >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_24795.html
    >>
    >> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2493
    >>
    >> No flipper-board, full x16 PCIe per (dual) video card. Total PCIe
    >> channels: 38 AMD, 40 Intel. Very interesting indeed. See Anandtech's
    >> analysis.
    >>

    >Any news if Intel is working on similar technology for their own chipsets?

    Check the 955X specs. However, I have not seen any 955X motherboards
    with two PCIe x16 sockets. Also, I am sure that Dell would have used
    the 955X instead of nVidia, if it could have been persuaded to run in
    dual x16 SLI mode. Or maybe it is a cost issue; the 955X chip-set does
    not come cheap.

    Pity nVidia did not integrate decent audio into the SLI X16 revision
    to eliminbate any excuse for buying the Intel chip-set...nVidia is
    perfectly capable of such a task.

    John Lewis

    - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <42f95763.751587@news.verizon.net>, john.dsl@verizon.net (John
    Lewis) wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 16:16:44 -0400, "Tim" <ixnay@ontheamspay.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >> FYI, see:-
    > >>
    > >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_24795.html
    > >>
    > >> http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2493
    > >>
    > >> No flipper-board, full x16 PCIe per (dual) video card. Total PCIe
    > >> channels: 38 AMD, 40 Intel. Very interesting indeed. See Anandtech's
    > >> analysis.
    > >>

    > >Any news if Intel is working on similar technology for their own chipsets?
    >
    > Check the 955X specs. However, I have not seen any 955X motherboards
    > with two PCIe x16 sockets. Also, I am sure that Dell would have used
    > the 955X instead of nVidia, if it could have been persuaded to run in
    > dual x16 SLI mode. Or maybe it is a cost issue; the 955X chip-set does
    > not come cheap.
    >
    > Pity nVidia did not integrate decent audio into the SLI X16 revision
    > to eliminbate any excuse for buying the Intel chip-set...nVidia is
    > perfectly capable of such a task.
    >
    > John Lewis
    >
    > - Technology early-birds are flying guinea-pigs.

    A Tyan K8WE dual Opteron board already supports 2 x16 SLI.
    So, you don't have to wait, if 2 x16 SLI is what you want.
    Both processors must be installed, so all chips can be
    interconnected. The block diagram is on page 2:

    ftp://ftp.tyan.com/datasheets/d_s2895_100.pdf

    Do a search on K8WE over on forums.2cpu.com for more info.

    I think the 955X only has 16 lanes available for video, so
    there isn't an opportunity to get 32 lanes there. And putting
    32 lanes on a single chip, would make the chip a bit warm.
    Only if Dell really wants it, would they make one :-)

    Paul

PC gaming Intel Nvidia Video Games