one dimm or two dimm of RAM

Apeman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Hi everyone,

I know that only nforce gain advantage from 2 dimm of DDR RAM.

and maybe next year Intel will release dual bank DDR, which does the similar thing as the nforce.

However, for a chipset like VIA-KT333, should i equip 2 dimm or 1 dimm of DDR RAM.

i was thinking about get a 2 dimm of 256mb DDR, or should i just get 1 dimm of 512mb DDR.

the price different between them isn't very much...

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
However, for a chipset like VIA-KT333, should i equip 2 dimm or 1 dimm of DDR RAM
For KT 333 I would go with 1 stick PC 2700 CAS 2 for the following reasons:
1) The system is a little bit more stable using only 1 stick
2) 1 stick overclocks better than 2 sticks
3) Using PC 2700 CAS 2 you’ll be ready to get the coming new XP with FSB 166 MHz

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
The KT333 is not a dualchannel chiset.
Thus 1 stick of 512mb ram is preferable to 2 sticks of 256mb for the following reasons:

A. statistically speaking there is a lesser chance of things going wrong with only one stick.

B. one stick is usually a bit cheaper than 2.

C. 2 sticks can occasionally introduce stability problems due to timing issues.

D. Overclocking is known to be better using only one stick.

1 stick of PC2700 cas2.5 512mb DDR from corsiar, crucial or sambsung sound be just Dandy :smile:
such brands will run well at cas2

<b><font color=orange>My <font color=green>life <font color=red>has <font color=blue>been <font color=black>so <font color=purple>much <font color=yellow>more <font color=orange>colourful <font color=green>since <font color=blue>the <font color=red>advent <font color=black>of <font color=purple>Super <font color=red>VGA! :lol: