Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Desktop never loads past the Taskbar

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
May 4, 2012 7:07:53 PM

Hello, I have recently started having trouble booting Windows 7 on my fairly new Gateway PC. When I power on the computer it loads up to the Windows Desktop and the task bar appears like it normally does, but the computer keeps loading as if the desktop icons would pop up in just a few seconds, except they never do. I've let it sit and load for hours and nothing comes up. I can't click on the start menu and the Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work so I have no choice but to do a hard reboot with the power button, which I hate since it can't be good for the PC. Sometimes it does this multiple times in a row, and sometimes it starts right up and loads like normal with everything working. Any help or advice would be appreciated, I am fairly new to PC's so I don't know too much aout what could cause this. I have ran complete scans in both safe mode and running regular Windows to no avail. I used Avast, Mcafee, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in both modes. I don't run any of them at the same time, however and I will disable one while I run the other. I've been working hard to keep this computer safe so I don't download anything suspicious and I use it mainly for gaming. If you need more information please just let me know. I'll list my system specs (or what I know of them) below.

Gateway DX4860-UR11P
Intel i7-2600 3.4Ghz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Ram
2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 580 3072MB
DVD-R/W
LG Blu-Ray BD-RW

May 4, 2012 7:45:54 PM

Can you boot your computer in Safe Mode and see if windows loads?
m
0
l

Best solution

May 4, 2012 8:08:49 PM

Sounds like there's something trying to run at startup that's glitching out. You say in your post that you've scanned in Safe Mode, so obviously you can get there. Have you tried a clean startup? It takes a while to diagnose this route, as you're re-added one program at a time, but it's a good procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

At the risk of sounding like the outsourced help desk, a clean install might eventually be in the cards. It's not a bad idea to do those every few years.

If that doesn't get there, it's possible that your hard drive is on its way out. How old is it?
Share
Related resources
May 4, 2012 8:38:29 PM

I actually just did a clean install for Windows 7 about 2 months ago and I just bought the PC new in early February. It seems like I just got everything reinstalled from the after the first recovery. I actually did call the help desk and the sent me to a company that wanted close to $200 to log in remotely and fix the problem which they attributed to a virus that attacks .exe files. What didn't make sense to me is the fact that it will start just fine sometimes and all the programs ran just fine when it did. It seems like it only happens if I try to boot from a proper shutdown. When I go to safe mode first, then restart the computer Windows will load just fine from what I've seen so far.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 8:43:22 PM

the_crippler said:
Sounds like there's something trying to run at startup that's glitching out. You say in your post that you've scanned in Safe Mode, so obviously you can get there. Have you tried a clean startup? It takes a while to diagnose this route, as you're re-added one program at a time, but it's a good procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

At the risk of sounding like the outsourced help desk, a clean install might eventually be in the cards. It's not a bad idea to do those every few years.

If that doesn't get there, it's possible that your hard drive is on its way out. How old is it?



I will definitely give the clean startup a shot and hopefully that works so that I don't have to to a complete reinstall again. Thanks for the link.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 9:26:35 PM

do you upgrade the video card? do you upgrade your PSU at the same time?

Because the GTX580 need big PSU (600W good brand one, like antec, SeaSonic, XFX, and CORSAIR + 80plus)), the pc (Gateway) use the 300w that is not good. That is why your pc can not boot.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 11:26:24 PM

cin19 said:
do you upgrade the video card? do you upgrade your PSU at the same time?

Because the GTX580 need big PSU (600W good brand one, like antec, SeaSonic, XFX, and CORSAIR + 80plus)), the pc (Gateway) use the 300w that is not good. That is why your pc can not boot.


Yeah I upgraded to a 700 watt power supply when I upgraded the video card, but it's a CoolerMaster brand? I'm not sure how good that is. The rep at the store picked it out for me.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 11:52:26 PM

run hardware tests to confirm hardware is aok and if so time for a fresh install of windows
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 1:51:30 AM

What is a good hardware test to run? Is it a program?
m
0
l
May 14, 2012 3:51:16 PM

Best answer selected by Raman4434.
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 6:39:46 PM

spookyman said:
Can you boot your computer in Safe Mode and see if windows loads?



wINDOWS load for me when I boot in safe mode. I was told I have a software problem but I don't know how to correct it. I need help. Thanks
m
0
l
July 13, 2012 6:40:54 PM

spookyman said:
Can you boot your computer in Safe Mode and see if windows loads?


I can boot my system in Safe mode but not regular. Thank you for your help and or concerns.
m
0
l
!