Sign in with
Your question

Display / Device Manager errors

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
May 4, 2012 9:10:10 PM

I built a 95% new computer last month, and its been running flawlessly. I added on a couple older HD's for storage last week, and again was experiencing no issues. 2 nights ago, I powered down the PC and unplugged it and the Ethernet cable as we were expecting bad Tstorms and I didnt want anything getting fried. When I powered it back up the following morning, it ran a self HD check and found nothing wrong, and continued to load windows.

The first unusual issue I noticed was a long delay on the windows logo screen. Until that power-up, my computer never paused for more than a second or 2 on that screen. This time (and every time since) it pauses for a full 30 seconds before finishing the windows load.

Second, within 5 min of power-up, I got a HDD error "one of your drives is about to fail, please backup blah blah blah"

*NOTE* One of my HDD's, black or green, had this issue EVERY day when it was the main drive in an old computer. I turned the warning off back then and it ran perfectly for over a year.

So I disabled this warning and havent noticed anything other then the abnormally long load time.....until I tried to go in and change the resolution....

When I right click and select personalize, I get a "Explorer.exe Unspecified error"
When I go to control panel and click adjust resolution I get "Windows cannot find 24789ywer74gi3t45376rr3r\settings, make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again"
I get that same second error message when I try to open up the device manager.

I also just noticed that my network adapter shows its disconnected, though its working fine.

I'm hoping its a simple issue that someone can walk me through fixing. I'd rather not reinstall windows, although it wont be much of a problem if its the only solution.

Here is my current build, brand new as of 3 weeks ago.

*Items with a (*) Before them are recycled from older computers.

Processor : Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX
RAM : Corsair Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) x2 kits, 16GB total
PSU : Corsair HX750 750W Professional
Video : EVGA GeForce GTX 460 PCIe 2.0 x16
HDD 1 : OCZ Petrol 128GB SSD (OS lives here)
(*)HDD 2 : WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM
(*)HDD 3 : WD Green 1TB 7200 RPM
Display : Sharp Aquos 46" LCD, connected via HDMI
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 9:28:19 PM

I think all your trouble are a virus or malware.

Run a anti-virus scan!

Microsoft Security Essentials is part of Windows 7. Look into it!

If you are a Comcast.net customer, they offer Norton Secuity Suite FREE! That's what I use.
May 4, 2012 9:49:22 PM

Getting error'd out trying to install AVG Pro 2012.

Setup Error

blah
blah
blah

The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed.

blah
blah

This seems to be a significant issue....
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2012 10:06:05 PM

Looks like a re-install of Windows is inevitable.

Try to do a secure erase using the Linux USB Bootable drive thingy on the OCZ website.

Or try Parted Magic's Bootable USB drive thingy to do a secure erase.

It's not required, but recommended, to wipe the drive before install.
!