Attention Gamers - Headsets

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 12, 2005 11:39:39 AM

Base on actual experiences..what is the best headset for the price? I
somehow can't justify spending $90+ for a gaming headset, However I sure
over the years... I spent over that in the cheapies!!! .:-(
Not too instated in behind the head type.
I have heard good things about the Creative HS530, but not available in USA?
Is USB type any benefit or direct connect to sound card?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:52:46 PM

I use an inexpensive Logitech headset with mike, I think the cost was
$25. The set is comfortable and it works well.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:28:56 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:39:39 -0500, "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote:

>Base on actual experiences..what is the best headset for the price?

I can't say for sure, but I'd look for a generic headphones as close as
possible to the following :

- A thicker or stiffer wire (should be less prone to wire breakage.)
- Something that doesn't look like it will fall off.
- Something that looks sturdy enough to last 1 or 2 years.
- Something with a long enough mire (but there are extensions available if
necessairy.

I don't require a microphone, and that cuts a bit on the price.

>somehow can't justify spending $90+ for a gaming headset, However I sure
>over the years... I spent over that in the cheapies!!! .:-(

Ususally, it's a wire that breaks. It's fixable if you have tho tools.

>Is USB type any benefit or direct connect to sound card?

That would depend. However this item here states that it will not work on
XBOX, PS2 or Gamecube:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/7314/
August 12, 2005 7:51:41 PM

"Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message news:2M0Le.314$Ji.263@lakeread02...
> Base on actual experiences..what is the best headset for the price? I
> somehow can't justify spending $90+ for a gaming headset, However I sure
> over the years... I spent over that in the cheapies!!! .:-(
> Not too instated in behind the head type.
> I have heard good things about the Creative HS530, but not available in
> USA?
> Is USB type any benefit or direct connect to sound card?

I have the Sennheiser PC-155 and they rock! Gotem for £60 usually retail
around £90-100 quid.

From what i gathered after looking round the internet for gaming headset
reviews Sennhieser and Plantronics are the best, but my Plantronics a90's
went the way of the dodo after 18 months.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 8:15:31 PM

"Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message news:2M0Le.314$Ji.263@lakeread02...
> Base on actual experiences..what is the best headset for the price? I
> somehow can't justify spending $90+ for a gaming headset, However I sure
> over the years... I spent over that in the cheapies!!! .:-(
> Not too instated in behind the head type.
> I have heard good things about the Creative HS530, but not available in
> USA?
> Is USB type any benefit or direct connect to sound card?

Over the years, I've bought the Labtec headsets. They won't break the bank
and the sound is good enough for my gaming tastes. And the one number
feature that I like about them is the comfort. About a year ago, I bought
a different more expensive headset (can't remember the brand/model). But
after 20 mins of use, I had to take them off. They were too big and bulky.
The weight plus the fact that they pressured against my ears was too much
which led me back to Labtec headphones.

Now my daughter wears the big and bulky headset. She's tougher than me.
;-)
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:19:15 AM

I use Labtec too. They are very comfortable, as are most open-ear
designs. And the sound quality is adequate. I haven't really tested the
frequency response, or anything like that, but I might one of these days.
The bass is pretty good, it goes all the way down to around 75 Hz before it
starts gradually falling off, which is about as good as many medium-range PC
speakers.

If you just want headphones without a microphone input, I would look at
one of the open-ear Sennheiser models. Skip 5.1 headphones, as they are
redundant, and spend the money on a quality setup. I'd also recommend not
getting in-ear headphone earplugs or anything like that, as they won't
really work quite right with most 3D sound games.
!