ASUS V8170DDR AGP2 or AGP4

harmsy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
Hi Everyone

I have recently purchases a V8170DDR graphics card. I also have purchased a Gigabyte GA_8IHXP motherboard.

The Gigabyte board is quite explicit in stating that usage of AGP2 (3.3v) will burn the motherboard. That AGP4 (1.5v) should be used. The 8170 suports AP4/2/1, however what is used. Part of the documentation states: Make sure that the power supply of your motherboard can provide enough electrical current on the 3.3v lead to maintain normal operation. That is indicating 3.3v

I'm afraid that if I use this card, it will burn my motherboard.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Regards
Patrocl

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's a GeForce 4 MX 440 card, right? No worries, their warning was based on this: The power supply doesn't have a 1.5v lead, so 1.5v is had by dropping voltage down from 3.3v with resistors on the motherboard. So in order to make sure you have enough 1.5v current, you need to have a power supply with an adequate amount of 3.3v current. These cards automatically switch from 3.3v when used on an AGP2x board to 1.5v when used on an AGP4x board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>