Sign in with
Your question

Multiple IRP Complete Requests

Last response: in Windows XP
March 14, 2002 6:18:29 PM

I have this problem where every now and then, a blue screen of death will pop up displaying this message:

A problem has been detected & Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Multiple IRP Complete Requests

Then it says something about recommending me to "disable BIOS memory options".
Then it mentions "Beginning dump of physical memory... Dumping physical memory to disk..."

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on Athlon XP 1700 w/ mobo Abit KR7A-RAID, GeForce3 Ti 200 (o/c to 450), SB Audigy... Any idea what's the cause of this?

Cheers.
March 15, 2002 1:18:35 PM

This is a Windows XP Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates an attempt was made to complete an IRP (I/O request packet) more than once, possibly by more than one driver.

Without having the complete information stated in the error message, I can't tell you which driver is causing the problem.

I suggest that you check the Event Viewer for additional information (under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel), and that you disable the memory dumps under Startup and Recovery. (My Computer\Properties\Advanced\System Failure.)

Perhaps your system BIOS is set to cacheable in the BIOS, and this is causing a memory access error with another device?

The very first thing I would do when encountering a BSOD like this is to stop overclocking. You must eliminate the possiblity that the overclocked device is causing the error.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
March 15, 2002 3:23:12 PM

So what info would be needed to further diagnose this thing?

How do I disable the memory dumps? It appears that under the advanced properties of my computer, it has two sections: Archive and Index attributes and Compress or Encrypt attributes... no startup and recovery.

As for the BIOS, what else can I set it to besides cacheable? Is this in the BIOS setup at the bootup?

As for o/c... my card came overclocked, so I am assuming the manufacturer (Gainward) knows what they are doing.

Thank you very much for your help, I truly appreciate it.
Related resources
March 15, 2002 3:39:55 PM

I think you looked in the wrong area.

Right-click the desktop My Computer icon. Choose Properties. Click the Advanced tab. Click the Startup and Recovery button. Under System Failure, you'll see a Write Debugging Information box. Choose "none".

The System BIOS cache can be enabled or disabled in most BIOS versions.

<font color=green>"As for o/c... my card came overclocked, so I am assuming the manufacturer (Gainward) knows what they are doing."</font color=green>

That depends entirely upon if the card is overheating, or if the memory on the card is viable. Don't assume anything until you locate the source of the problem.

Have you run a diagnostic on the card? Start\Run\DXDIAG.

Here is how to check the Event Viewer. Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer. This may give you additional information on the problem that can searched at the MS Knowledge Base.

I suspect that your problem can be fixed by installing an updated driver. The device? ???

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>
March 15, 2002 4:06:21 PM

Yeah... when I do that, My Computer Properties have the following tabs: General, Shortcut, and NetWare Version (I am on a LAN at school). Under General, there's an Advance button which pops open a window that shows the Archive and Indext attributes and Compress or Encrypt attributes. The Shortcut also has an Advanced menu but that's off-topic. Just to be sure, you know that I am using Win XP Home Edition correct?

In My Event Viewer, I do notice a recurring Error:
"The MAC Bridge service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified. "
and
"The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found."

... any ideas?

Thanks again.
March 15, 2002 5:05:37 PM

Yes, I'm clear about the operating system version.

What is happening is that you are right-clicking on a shortcut that created for the actual My Computer Icon ... which is <i>not</i> a shortcut. This is why you do not see the options I described. You can't get there from that shortcut.

Are you using the default Startup Menu in WinXP? If so, you should be able to right-click on My Computer and access the Startup and Recovery from this area ... unless your system was setup by a system administrator at your school, and this is not accessible.

Are you having any problems connecting to the LAN? It sounds like you are having a problem with the Ethernet Card Data Link Layer, and/or the software used for the Network connection.

If so .. contact the school's System Administrator and tell them about the problem.

Toejam31

!