Praise where praise due.

mace

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2002

Kevin C. wrote:
> "mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.gamespot.com/features/6130956/index.html
> >
> > In a couple of years time NOBODY even remembers the shitpiles like Half
> > Life 2 or Doom 3.
> >

> *rolls eyes*
>
> SS2 is underplayed and overrated. A cult classic, yes, but it doesn't belong
> on an all-time list -- neither do many of the other titles on their list
> (NFL Blitz??).
>
> Besides, Gamespot only picks aged games for that list. Wait a few years, and
> you can be pretty sure that HL2, if not Doom 3, will be on that list too.

Why on earth would they be?

An *ANCIENT* game mechanics with great graphics...
For sure, every Joe Sixpack loves them, but that´s it.

"mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamespot.com/features/6130956/index.html
>
> In a couple of years time NOBODY even remembers the shitpiles like Half
> Life 2 or Doom 3.

*rolls eyes*

SS2 is underplayed and overrated. A cult classic, yes, but it doesn't belong
on an all-time list -- neither do many of the other titles on their list
(NFL Blitz??).

Besides, Gamespot only picks aged games for that list. Wait a few years, and
you can be pretty sure that HL2, if not Doom 3, will be on that list too.

just so noone misunderstands me, I dont think Doom 3 will be on such a
list, but Half-Life 2 will absolutely be on the list.

Kevin C. wrote:
> "mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.gamespot.com/features/6130956/index.html
>>
>>In a couple of years time NOBODY even remembers the shitpiles like Half
>>Life 2 or Doom 3.
>>

> *rolls eyes*
>
> SS2 is underplayed and overrated. A cult classic, yes, but it doesn't belong
> on an all-time list -- neither do many of the other titles on their list
> (NFL Blitz??).
>
> Besides, Gamespot only picks aged games for that list. Wait a few years, and
> you can be pretty sure that HL2, if not Doom 3, will be on that list too.

There is no hope in hell for Doom 3 to be on any list like that, the
engine was great, but the game itself was far from it. Half life 2 I can
agree with

--
Byron Hinson
My Photography

"Johan" <josendk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Maybe Doom 3, but not Half-Life 2

LOL!!!!

"Mother Farquhar" <fake@ddress.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>"Johan" <josendk@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe Doom 3, but not Half-Life 2
>
>LOL!!!!

He may be right - it is a _gamespot_ list after all.

Xocyll

On 14 Aug 2005 05:17:48 -0700, "mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In a couple of years time NOBODY even remembers the shitpiles like Half
>Life 2 or Doom 3.

HL2 and Doom 3 are good games - at least the enemies didn't always drone
towards you (or if they did, it wouldn't appear out of character.)

Quake, on the other hand, still made the list:
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/p-22.html

SS2 is, without question, the best PC action game ever made. I can say
this objectively and without bias. The only single game I can think of
that's better is Nethack.

It's funny you would mention HL2 and Doom 3; of course neither is top
material but the original versions of these games are certainly top 10.
Doom 3 is utter retread, but it's pretty. HL2 is worth the price of
admission. It's head and shoulders above Doom 3.

As a plug for Valve, the original Half Life is certainly number 2,
behind System Shock II. In terms of play *value* Half-Life is the
all-time #1. I played TFC more hours than any other game except
Nethack. But that's only because of TFC. It is and remains the best
online multiplayer action game I've ever played.

Sometimes a work of man-made media transcends product and becomes art.
I can remember sitting in the theatre after Schindler's List and
feeling dull numb, simply shocked from the effect of the picture. Or
hearing Mozart's 40th, or Metallica's "One" at volume 11. Can a simple
game be compared to these works of pure grace? I say Yes.

The "immersion" of a game is tossed around like it's a measurable
factor, like the screen resolution or frames-per-second. Oh yeah, Doom
3 made me jump a few times and the Shalebridge Cradle level of Thief 3
was really creepy. But if you've played through SS2 and not jumped out
of your seat and audibly SHREAKED then you're legally dead. Not just
once but the WHOLE TIME. This game just nailed it. OK the graphics
are dated (sometimes comical) and the endgame is silly. But man, these
guys combined sound, visual, voice acting and storyline into a truly
FLAWLESS interface and emerged with something that is greater than the
sum of its parts. System Shock II is not just a game. It's sitting on
my shelf alongside my favorite DVD's & CD's waiting to be experienced
again.

Maybe it's #1, maybe not, that's a subjective question. In my mind it
certainly is. If you've never played it then you have no business
owning a computer.

"Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote in message
> *rolls eyes*
>
> SS2 is underplayed and overrated. A cult classic, yes, but it doesn't
belong
> on an all-time list

Someones *always* gotta be different and stand out from the
rest. I'm rolling *my* eyes so bad that it took me a few minutes
to get them back straight so I could compose this post. SS2 is
most definately one of the greatest games ever.

But not as good as the original. The Body of the Many being the major
downside of the game...

--
there is no .sig
"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> wrote in message
> "Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote in message
>> *rolls eyes*
>>
>> SS2 is underplayed and overrated. A cult classic, yes, but it doesn't
> belong
>> on an all-time list
>
> Someones *always* gotta be different and stand out from the
> rest. I'm rolling *my* eyes so bad that it took me a few minutes
> to get them back straight so I could compose this post. SS2 is
> most definately one of the greatest games ever.

x-no-archive: yes

mace wrote:

<snip>

both will be in history books but for very different reasons

doom 3 will be in the history books for good reasons, being
the first "cinematic/movie like" graphic quality pc game

hl2 will be in the history books for BAD reasons, being the
first game featuring abusive against consumer rights steam
technologies

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

"Kevin C." <nomail@dot.com> wrote:

>"mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.gamespot.com/features/6130956/index.html
>>
>> In a couple of years time NOBODY even remembers the shitpiles like Half
>> Life 2 or Doom 3.
>>

>*rolls eyes*
>
>SS2 is underplayed and overrated. A cult classic, yes, but it doesn't belong
>on an all-time list -- neither do many of the other titles on their list
>(NFL Blitz??).
>
>Besides, Gamespot only picks aged games for that list. Wait a few years, and
>you can be pretty sure that HL2, if not Doom 3, will be on that list too.

Well it is impressive that the fan community is still going after all
this time. Tried to find any mods for Unreal lately?

Qv

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> But not as good as the original. The Body of the Many being the major
> downside of the game...

So true.
Most of SS2 was great but the end-game was a major disappointment.

> just so noone misunderstands me, I dont think Doom 3 will be on such a
> list, but Half-Life 2 will absolutely be on the list.

I personally don't think SS2 deserves to be on this list but at least it
qualifies to be in consideration given that I can install it and play it now
whether or not Irrational is still in business and running a validation
server.

Since HL2's lifetime is by design constrained to the business lifetime of
Valve and their willingness to validate the game online, it's automatically
disqualified for any "All time greatest game" list I'd consider
authoritative (it's also automatically disqualified from any game purchase
list I'll put together.) In order to pass the "all time" test, you have to
be installable and playable for "all time"!

If Valve should someday deign to put out a downloadable, archivable,
offline-installable patch that frees HL2 from this umbilical, then we can
talk.

Kevin C. wrote:
> "mace" <mmace@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.gamespot.com/features/6130956/index.html
>>
>>In a couple of years time NOBODY even remembers the shitpiles like Half
>>Life 2 or Doom 3.
>>

> *rolls eyes*
>
> SS2 is underplayed and overrated. A cult classic, yes, but it doesn't belong
> on an all-time list -- neither do many of the other titles on their list
> (NFL Blitz??).

SS2 is an al time class IMO. Sales mean nothing.

SpammersDie wrote:
> "Johan" <josendk@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>just so noone misunderstands me, I dont think Doom 3 will be on such a
>>list, but Half-Life 2 will absolutely be on the list.
>

> I personally don't think SS2 deserves to be on this list but at least it
> qualifies to be in consideration given that I can install it and play it now
> whether or not Irrational is still in business and running a validation
> server.

So the fact that an old game runs, for free, on your modern system is
one of your parameters for "greatness". I see.

> Since HL2's lifetime is by design constrained to the business lifetime of
> Valve and their willingness to validate the game online, it's automatically
> disqualified for any "All time greatest game" list I'd consider
> authoritative (it's also automatically disqualified from any game purchase
> list I'll put together.) In order to pass the "all time" test, you have to
> be installable and playable for "all time"!

Hmm Hmm.

So solitaire and chess would be up there then?

> If Valve should someday deign to put out a downloadable, archivable,
> offline-installable patch that frees HL2 from this umbilical, then we can
> talk.

To yourselves probably.

nostromo

Thus spake "QV" <qv@qvnospam.com>, Mon, 15 Aug 2005 01:46:05 GMT, Anno
Domini:

>"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> But not as good as the original. The Body of the Many being the major
>> downside of the game...
>>

>So true.
>Most of SS2 was great but the end-game was a major disappointment.

I thought the start of SS2 was major disappointment. And that's where I
stopped...

--
A killfile is a friend for life.

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 03:33:38 GMT, "SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:

>- Forced use of certain skills (you have to hack at a fairly high level to
>get past one plot-critical problem - you have to research a specific item to
>get past another.) In an RPG, no single skill should be mandatory.

I agree here.

>In
>addition, the game is unbalanced wrt RPG choices - in the early game,
>Navy-types have a large advantage - in the BotM, psi-types have a large
>advantage, etc.

Actually, this is merely balancing stuff in a different fashion - the
player must choose between an early-game benefit or a late-game benefit.

Of course, there are game balance issues across skills - for example, there
isn't much practical reason to improve Heavy and Exotic to maximum as there
are only a few weapons with questionable overall firepower. There's also
Repair being next to useless unless you didn't pick-up maintenance.

"i own a yacht" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> SpammersDie <xx@xx.xx> wrote:
>
>> In order to pass the "all time" test, you have to be installable and
>> playable for "all time"!
>
> even games that require third party applications, emulation, and in many
> cases, community designed patches to run?

Which still means that once you get it to run, it won't stop working the
next day because some computer out there that you have no control over is
down or just decides it doesn't want to let you play anymore.

> whine about steam,

I'm not just whining about Steam, I'm hitting the companies that use it in
the pocketbook. You use Steam, you're fired. End of story.

> SpammersDie <xx@xx.xx> wrote:
>
>> Which still means that once you get it to run, it won't stop working the
>> next day because some computer out there that you have no control over is
>> down or just decides it doesn't want to let you play anymore.
>
> that's the point, innit. when those other companies went under, and
> their ancient games no longer worked out of the box,

Um... Looking Glass went down years ago and guess what, SS1, Thief, etc.
didn't suddenly stop working.

Yes, it takes an effort to get SS1 *if you change the underlying OS* - so
what, when LG went down, my Win98 CD's didn't just vanish in a poof of
orange smoke - I can always dual boot or VPC or just keep my older hardware
around as an offline DOS/Win9x game console, which is in fact exactly what I
do - I'm not dependent on third party hacks of questionable legality and
origin.

I have no choice to do that with HL2 because it's *designed* to become
nonfunctional whenever Valve decides to - the game's lifetime is under their
control, not mine. Since that's an intentional design decision by Valve (as
opposed to the other games who did nothing intentional to become hard to run
a decade later under an OS with an entirely different kernel and device
driver architecture), I *will* penalize Valve and not those other companies.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 05:35:21 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>SpammersDie <xx@xx.xx> wrote:
>
>> In order to pass the "all time" test, you have to be installable and
>> playable for "all time"!
>
>even games that require third party applications, emulation, and in many
>cases, community designed patches to run?

Only so if they are tried to be run on systems or operating systems
for which they were not designed. You don't expect to run Super
Nintendo games on Playstation, do you?

>whine about steam, and forget all those hundreds of old games that
>simply wont run without special effort and software.

Why wouldn't they run on their target machine? Steam games might not,
though.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:35:17 GMT, i own a yacht <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>SpammersDie <xx@xx.xx> wrote:
>
>> Which still means that once you get it to run, it won't stop working the
>> next day because some computer out there that you have no control over is
>> down or just decides it doesn't want to let you play anymore.
>
>that's the point, innit. when those other companies went under, and
>their ancient games no longer worked out of the box, the gamers had to
>find ways to get them going again. there's absolutely no reason
>whatsoever the same wouldn't happen in the unlikely event that valve
>went under leaving their steam catalogue of games unplayable. it's the
>exact same thing.

No it isn't. Emulation etc. are only needed when you try to run games
on foreign systems (foreign to the game). For example running Amiga
games on PC, or DOS games on WinXP.

Steam is an _additional_ hurdle to get the games to work. In the
situation there would be no support for the games anymore, Steam games
would not work even in the original system.

>if you're not going to penalize companies for disappearing and no longer
>supporting their games so that they work currently, i don't see how you
>can criticize steam based on some prediction that if valve ever went
>under you would no longer be able to play their games.

Read above. You can't demand a game to work on all future machines
irrespective to their hardware and OS, but you can demand a game to
continue working on the system the game was intended for.

>you may have
>other issues with steam, and that's fine, but we're talking about
>something specific here and it's something a lot of people bring up and
>it's stupid.

No, you have a simple comprehension problem here, that's all. You are
comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same situation.

>dopey john lewis will sit there and boast about his
>collection of old hardware he keeps around just to play games that no
>longer work under a modern OS and then gripe about the possibilities of
>half-life 2 no longer functioning in the future.

....even in the original machine. That's the difference.

>use your brain. offline
>play is already guaranteed based on software that came out before hl2
>was even on the shelves.

1. Cracks are illegal.

2. I guess that would be fine, if HL2 would be the only Steam game
around.

SpammersDie wrote:
> Thus, once again, I will punish Valve for that and not punish LGS and other
> long-dead DOS game makers. Those guys did the best they could reasonably do
> given the state of DOS and the lack of a decent abstraction layer for
> hardware at the time. Valve, on the other hand, purposefully put a hurdle in
> for the game's long term accesssibility.

That hasn't happened yet so stop talking about it like it has. You have
no idea if HL2 has long term accessibility or not. It's accessible
RIGHT NOW and that's all you can actually say. If and when Valve goes
out of business, only THEN can you say whether or not HL2 will have
long-term accessibility. For all we know Valve will release a patch to
HL2 before they close their doors making it playable without requiring
Steam at all. Or not. We DO NOT KNOW YET.

If you want to bitch about having to go online to do validation then
bitch about that, but don't bitch about not being able to play a game
in 2010 or whenever, since that hasn't occured yet. BTW, Valve isn't
the only one doing online validation for offline content. Bioware is
also doing it with their premium modules for NWN. I'm sure in the
future this will become more and more common, so get used to it.
Personally I prefer this type of "intrusion" to other forms of copy
protection like Star Force.

Knight37