Sign in with
Your question

D-Link DIR-655 as a switch help

Last response: in Networking
October 6, 2012 3:54:35 PM

I want to use my dlink Dir-655 router as a switch or a wireless hotspot, the reason is that i have to use a modem and a router for my network provider P2602HWT is the model i have to use, is there any way i could do this, right now when i try to use the dlink router as a switch after 5minutes the network stops working until i shut down the dlink. Also the router i have to use only has 3 100mb ethernet ports, the Dlink one has 4 gigabit ports. Any way i could use my dlink as a wireless hotspot and a switch without conflicting with my other router?

More about : link dir 655 switch

October 6, 2012 4:48:38 PM

Sure, I use several of the 655 routers as access points.

Just run an Ethernet cable from your network router to the 655, turn off DHCP in the 655, use the same SSID and security key and security type on the 655 as the Zyxel, and use different radio channel than the Zyxel on the 655. Best to choose between 1, 6 and 11 if you are in the US as they do not overlap, overlapping radio channels can cause interference and degrade wireless network performance. Give the 655 a static or reserved dynamic IP address that is in the Zyxel network range but not in the allowed DHCP address range.

You then have a wireless AP and can use the wireless signal and the 4 LAN ports on the 655, and from LAN to LAN for two computers connected on the 655 ports you will get gigabit speeds
October 8, 2012 2:22:03 PM

RealBeast said:
Sure, I use several of the 655 routers as access points.

Just run an Ethernet cable from your network router to the 655, turn off DHCP in the 655, use the same SSID and security key and security type on the 655 as the Zyxel, and use different radio channel than the Zyxel on the 655. Best to choose between 1, 6 and 11 if you are in the US as they do not overlap, overlapping radio channels can cause interference and degrade wireless network performance. Give the 655 a static or reserved dynamic IP address that is in the Zyxel network range but not in the allowed DHCP address range.

You then have a wireless AP and can use the wireless signal and the 4 LAN ports on the 655, and from LAN to LAN for two computers connected on the 655 ports you will get gigabit speeds

Thanks alot, it worked but is there any way i can connect to a pc connect to the Zyxel one with one pc connected to the D-link? With that i mean like remote desktop etc.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 7, 2014 8:01:15 AM

@Realbeast
When you say "Give the 655 a static or reserved dynamic IP address that is in the Zyxel network range but not in the allowed DHCP address range."
How do I do that? Bc I am trying to do this same thing with the dlink as a second router but do not understand that last part of the router settings. Is that setup in the first router? How do you give the dlink the static IP from the Zylxel? And then how do you set that static IP to be not in the allowed DHCP allowed range??
Thanks
Mike
!