Added 2nd router but now no connection from outside

Greetings, I've trying to troubleshoot this problem and i also did some searching here but i have not found a solution to this problem: ever since i added another router, i can't connect from the outside (internet).

I had a DIR-815 running (in b/g/n mixed) but my IP cameras were really choppy so i decided to add a DIR-655 in N-only mode for the cameras - BIG improvement. However, since i did that, i can no longer connect to the cameras from the internet. I had port forwarding working fine with ddns from no-ip when running only the DIR-815.

I made DIR-655 the main router connected to the cable modem and set-up port forwarding looking at the way it was in the DIR-815 that was know to work. The DIR-815 is now the secondary router configured for "G-only" and 5GHZ.

I have tried duplicating the settings in both routers; enabling it in one and not the other and then in reverse - nothing! When port forwarding is enabled on the second router (and not the main router) i get a quick "can't connect" from the browser (firefox) but when port forwarding is enabled on the main router (and not the second router) i get a "connection time-out) after a few seconds. That leads me to believe that port forwarding should be enabled on the main router and not the second - but why can't i connect?

Another weird thing is that when i use some online port checking tools, they report the ports are open..??

I'm thinking it's a setting i missed when setting up the two router but i have no idea what it could be.

Appreciate any help.
2 answers Last reply
More about added router connection outside
  1. Do NOT connect the second router to the first via its WAN port! You must connect the old router as only a wireless AP (LAN to LAN).

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point
  2. Indeed! Of all the guides and stuff i read (including the one you linked) that is the one thing all had in BOLD - do not use the WAN port and that's what i did.

I'll go double check anyway.

Thanks for your response.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Connection Port Forwarding Wireless Networking