flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
my Global teacher asked me to do a bit of research on the games Civilization, Civilization 2, and Civilization 3. Which one is the most historically accurate and what time periods does each cover?

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I dont have try Ciz 3 but are great and also have video.Ciz 1 is just too old.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
uhm..... what? whatever you native language is, there are translating programs out there. type your language in one of the translators and it will spit out comprehendable english, then just cut and paste.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
and yes i relize that i didn't check my grammar or speeling, but atleast you get the point.

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
even on my retraction i can't spell correctly. but i still won't reveiw my post before i post it. i'm american and lazy!

G

Back to the question in hand.

First, civ3? Doesn't exist, does it? Civ1 was pooish, Civ2 was cool as. What you call Civ3 is either "Call to Power" or "Alpha Centauri". The latter of which is great.

Anyway, i'd say civ2. Civ1 was too limited. Call to power i never played, but alpha... was sci-fi, so definitely not histroically accurate.

<i>Strange assignment!</i>

<b>If it were up to me, twinings would make coffee</b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Civ2 was a huge tweak to Civ1. Civ1 ruled in it's time, but Civ2 pushed it aside.

I know not about Civ3, but since it's Siddy M. working on it, it's probably going to be a tweak of Civ2.

Which means, good.

Rich is the nation that has many war heroes. Long since forgotten...

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
civ III does exist. does anyone out there have it? if so let us know how it is compared to civI.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Civilization I, Wonder how many hours and sleepless nights I´ve spent on that game?!
By far, one of the best games ever!

Blame Canada! Blame Can-a-daaa!

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Civ3 was just released on 11/2/01. It's even better than Civ1 or Civ2. LOTS of new features and upgrades on everything else.

But DO NOT get it if you don't have a lot of time on your hands. It's even more addictive than the first 2!!

G

Do any of you even read the original post?!? He asked which was the most <i>Historically accurate</i>, not which one was the coolest or the most fun or has the best graphics.

I would not call any of them "historically accurate". Some parts of the game obviously have elements of true civilizations, but the games were designed to be <i>games</i>, not a history lesson.

Save the children :smile:

Age of Empires - History

Railroad Tycoon
Sim city
Theme Hospital - Economics & Finance

Any strategy game you can think of - Patience & quick thinking.

The jetset willy games teach you effective time management (can I play this until 5am and still get up for school?)

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

G

Last weekend I've got my Civ III. Definately the best Civ ever!!! Cool graphics and much better diplomacy + resource management (you need iron sources to produce legions, and they deplete in time !!!).

Anyway, back to orignal post, again Civ 3 is the most historically accurate one if you ask me. I could only reach to 1400AD but the units and structures are better (in terms of history). For example, depending on your nationality, you get special units. If you chose French side, you get Musketman (regular unit) + Musketeer (special unit). But there is a reduction on wonders (no marco polo for instance).

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Traditionally, Civilization is turn-based. I doubt this one is different.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Civ3 is the most accurate, ignore the Call to Power Crap. I dont know how you could even call Civ remotely accurate however. The Americans have only been around for over 200years.

But if you ever get around to playing it and want to conquor pick the germans go Commie and build Panzers which will roll over everything.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
None of them are historically acurate. The rate of development of nations in the game is a matter of how well you play and you can advance faster or slower than civilizations have in the real world. You can also still have odd situations like a tank fighting against a swordsman, and we don't run into too many situations like that in the real world (except maybe german tanks vs. polish calvelry in ww2)

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Don't forget Italian tanks and rifles vs Ethopian spearmen in WWII. The Italians lost by the way. It was only when the Germans decided to back up the Italians that the Axis powers won.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.