Sign in with
Your question

Pocket PC or Laptop?

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
July 11, 2003 8:01:27 PM

Hey guys,

About a month ago, I finished building my new desktop computer. It is top of the line, and does everything I need. However, when I go to college in a month, I would like to able to take notes in classes and have a portable computer when I am studying, etc. I have already spent over $4000 on my desktop, so I am looking at buying either a cheap laptop or a pocket PC (under $400).

I am very interested in getting either a Dell Axim or Toshiba e750 pocket PC, so I want to ask: How easy/useful are these pocket PCs for taking notes? If they are difficult, I would rather get a cheap laptop.

I don't need a top of the line laptop... just enough to take notes, do Powerpoint presentation, etc. However, I want it to be a Pentium processor, no a Celeron. Any suggestions on where to look (other than Ebay)?

And finally, what would you get: a laptop or a pocket pc?

Thanks!

- Daniel (daniel1113[at]comcast[dot]net)

More about : pocket laptop

July 12, 2003 12:26:16 AM

I was in the same situation a few years back. Basically, taking notes is far easier if you have a decent sized keyboard. Plus, since I was already carrying around books and whatnot, it wouldn't really make much of a difference if I was carrying a tiny PocketPC or a full sized laptop. That, and I tend to think that laptops in general are slightly more durable than PocketPC's.

So, I got an old Toshiba Portege 3110CT from, you guessed it, Ebay. Can't play games on it of course, but it runs all the Office apps just fine. Plus it still gets lots of looks from the geek crowd because its super-tiny (10" x 8.5", 3/4" thick, 2.9lbs), even compared to today's slimtops. And it has a nice silver-metallic lid. :wink:

You can still find them for $500 or less. But I'm sure that there are faster laptops to be had in the same price range as well, perhaps not as small.

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML
July 12, 2003 7:03:34 AM

Definelty get a laptop. I bought a pocket pc (sits somewhere now after a few months) I got my laptop and still using it after quite some time. A used laptop will always outperform a pocket PC. Then again, if you buy an external keyboard and a WiFi/Network card, a pocket pc can handle all the basic office apps that a notebook could. (word, excel, outlook, internet explorer). But for the same price, you could buy a notebook.
Related resources
July 12, 2003 7:04:39 AM

If all you want is taking notes, you could buy a TI-83+ or Ti-89 and a TI Keyboard, transfer the data to a computer and print it out. Calc is less than 100 (ti83+) and the keyboard is 40 bucks. www.education.ti.com
July 12, 2003 7:22:34 AM

Thanks for all the opinions... a TI calc is definitely not an option, as that would take forever. I know that a pocket PC will also be slow compared to a laptop, but I would rather have a brand new pocket PC, such as a Dell Axim, rather than a used laptop. I am going to keep my eye out still; however, I am sawying towards a pocket PC with an external keyboard.

Has anyone tried taking Notes with pocket PC? Was it a huge pain, a small inconvenience, or just as useful as a laptop?

Thanks again!

July 21, 2003 6:52:14 AM

I've played with those keyboards. If you think a laptop's keyboard feels funny, try one of those. Their keys seems to be 18mm or 17mm instead of the standard 19mm width. Although a Pocket PC with keyboard and a nic card will take care of all the basic office/homework applications, I'd still rather get a used laptop than a new pocket pc. Trust me, I have a pocket pc sitting around and also have a laptop. If you get the pocket pc, chances are, it won't work as well as you may plan and end up getting a notebook anyways. Pocket PCs are designed to be with you constantly, if it could replace notebooks, HP, Compaq, Gateway, and Dell would stop making notebooks by now. Ti Calc can hook up to a ti keyboard which is a full size keyboard, so it won't take too long to type, but I'd still save it as a last resourt. I may get the keyboard for the heck of it. (have ti83+ and ti89)
July 22, 2003 5:09:58 AM

Thanks again for all the information. I decided to get a laptop, because I got a GREAT deal on one from eBay. I ended up paying $350 for a 700 Mhz Dell, and that is only $30 more than a pocket PC would have cost. Hopefully it is in as good of condition as the seller claims. I will let you know.

September 5, 2003 6:32:49 AM

i saY GO WITH THE LAPTOP.

-={Cowardly, Big Time.}=-
-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-
September 22, 2003 5:17:12 PM

You got a good choice of buy a laptop.Good luck!
!